cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Basement organization

Charley67
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone installed shelves/ dividers/ drawers in the basement storage area? My stuff just gets pulled in there, and I'm thinking there ought to be a more efficient way.
23 REPLIES 23

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
jims1 wrote:
We use clear totes as well. Set up in categories as in Plumbing, electrical, decorations, sewer, fresh water, fasteners, etc. Since we are fulltime, I like having spare items on hand to make life easier.

I don't and would never store the Stinky slinky in the basement! Best solution for that is the 5" vinyl fence post. It holds the stinky slinky and all the fittings.

We store the clean unused parts, spare o-rings, spare adapter, wrench that fits the adapter, extra donut, etc. The actual hoses are stored the same as yours, underneath in tubes.
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
Okie1 wrote:
I just store everything in plastic totes.

Good advice:
and, totes are labeled.

Yup Exactly what I told DW - "no problem I'll get our stuff out" - Famous last words as a year later I bellied up to the bar and bought a dual acting storage slide! That's right it slides out 5' on either side and it's now in the second rig. ๐Ÿ™‚
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
I built up the front storage area as it was all stuff everywhere and could never manage to get anything out when I needed it.

Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
when I was transferring my stuff from TT to 5er, I found electrical and plumbing stuff I had in my 1970 Winnebago. some connectors still in wrapper. if I throw it away, I know I will need it later.
don't have the old style bulbs though, guess I can throw them away. actually they could be considered antique.
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who has a morgue area? I do. It is the genny box which is only accessible from the front. A PIA place to get to so old spares that still have life & other stuff that is hardly ever used but too good the thow away goes in there.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Clear plastic tubs and/or diligently use magic marker on what's inside. Even as you add stuff.

X2 on ONCE a year emptying ALL the bays and throwing out or putting away stuff you don't need or haven't used.

Amazingly during my clean out, there always is about 50 lbs of stuff every year that doesn't need to be in the RV. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bought three clear totes that just were low enough to go in my front pass thru on the TT. put seldom needed stuff in the center one and hooked a rope to it to be able to easily retrieve it. more often needed stuff gets in the end two totes.
bumpy

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jims1 wrote:
We use clear totes as well. Set up in categories as in Plumbing, electrical, decorations, sewer, fresh water, fasteners, etc. Since we are fulltime, I like having spare items on hand to make life easier.

I don't and would never store the Stinky slinky in the basement! Best solution for that is the 5" vinyl fence post. It holds the stinky slinky and all the fittings.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Slide outs for the basement. Just one more option that the mfrs lose money on by not offering them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

jims1
Explorer
Explorer
Volvo dually Pickup
DRV Memphis
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
7 yrs full timing and I always shook my head at ALL the STUFF 'campers' would pull out of their storage compartments for a weekend of camping.

We LIVED in the 5vr and I could open basement compartment and visually see everything in there. Only 2 totes ----- one held decorations for different holidays and one held keepsakes.
2 lounge chairs, 2 side tables, folding step, easy-up, BBQ/Charcoal/fluid and water softener.

WHY all the stuff?

Even when we went camping we never carried all that excess stuff
Reminds me a circus clown cars.......just keeps coming out

:B:B:B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I cleaned out our basement about a month and a half ago. Everything came out, looks sooo big when empty. :B We use totes as well, especially for the sanitary equipment.
Now I know where EVERYTHING is again and got rid of some "stuff" we didn't really need in there.

Dan

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
Like others here, I store things in my basement in see through totes. I measured and bought small totes all the same size that would best utilize the space. By keeping them small, I keep things better organized. On the door side, the totes to my right keep everything I need to set up once I arrive. The totes to my left is where I keep decorations and electrical items.

The totes on my curb side of the basement is where I keep spare parts and maintenance items. I also keep my tools there. I also have yellow color totes that keep all my sanitation stuff.
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some things take up less space than others.

Both cables in the picture are 50 amp, the one in the 3 gal bucket is 40' of SO cable, the one inside the big tub is standard PVC cable but only 35'!! That is about as tight as the PVC can be coiled at about 40 degrees.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"