cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hemet ca to borrego springs ca on hwy 79

priestlake
Explorer
Explorer
Will be towing fifth wheel from hemet to borrego springs on 79-has any towed this route? how is it?
5 REPLIES 5

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
From Hemet, DON'T take the 74 east to 371 south (through Anza) to get to the 79South. That way has way too many tight switchbacks and very narrow bridges on the 74.

Instead, take 74 west to 15 south to get to the 79South (through Temecula). Then take 79South to the S2, to the 78 east.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:

If you have a hard time descending downhill without smelling your brakes I would stay off Montezuma Valley Rd.

Would a hard time result in... "Montezuma's Revenge"?..:@

~

Sloop_Smitten
Explorer
Explorer
Actually neither 79 or San Felipe Rd. is a problem. But to get down to Borrego Springs you turn off of San Felipe Rd. onto Montezuma Valley Rd. which is a steep windy road. People who want to avoid Montezuma Valley Rd. stay on San Felipe to Hwy 78 and them follow Hwy 78 to Borrego Springs Rd. and backtrack to Borrego Springs. You can turn on Yaqui Pass Rd. (before Borrego Springs Rd.) to get to Borrego Springs but is is a steep curvy climb up. If your brakes are in good working order I would use Montezuma Valley Rd and just downshift to a low gear. I see trailers transversing it all the time as well as motorhomes. Depends on your confidence level with your rig. If you have a hard time descending downhill without smelling your brakes I would stay off Montezuma Valley Rd.
1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
People with larger rigs often take S2 (San Felipe Valley Road) to 78, then E on 78 to Borrego Springs Road, then N to town. Sure, it's the much longer way around but the grades are more gradual and you avoid S22 (Montezuma Grade), the very steep winding road that goes directly into town.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
Last weekend we drove from Temecula to Julian on 79, while we weren't towing I do pull a 5'er and didn't see an issue though there are signs restricting trailers over X length from pin to axel (sorry I don't remember X). Not sure how the 78 is down to the desert but I do know that San Felipe road is one that I wouldn't do with a trailer.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW