cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hmm...5ver hitch rails are standard but placement is not??

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
I have been trying different hitch positions attempting to reduce chucking and one of the things I have discovered is that the middle position of the hitch rails in my F250 6.5 ft. bed is 4" ahead of the rear axle. This is correct according to the Reese 30035 rail kit instructions. But here is what I found for various rail kits:
Reese 30035 - 4" ahead (of rear axle center line)
Reese 50026/58058 - 3" (2 15/16") ahead
Reese 56016/30153 - 7/8" behind
Husky 31408 - 0-1" ahead
Husky 30607 Option 1 - 1" (31/32") behind
Husky 30607 Option 2 - 0" (on axle center line)
B&W RVK2401 - 4" ahead
So if you are trying to assess if a candidate new hitch will have enough cab clearance it is important to understand exactly which rail kit you plan to use along with the specific hitch install options. It may be important to select a particular rail kit and specific hitch to obtain the best cab clearance. I am surprised the placement is not more consistent since it must affect the ride and weight distribution to some degree.

For instance the B&W rail kit along with the B&W 3200 hitch together provide the options of 2 1/3" ahead (closest to cab position), 1/3" ahead (middle position) and 1 2/3" behind (farthest position from cab) providing a good range selection in my opinion. My current Husky 16K W Hitch on Husky fixed legs with a Reese 30035 rail kit only provides options of 6" ahead or 4" ahead of the axle center line. On a F250 short bed (156" WB) the axle center is about 41" behind the cab so I can only position the king pin at a maximum 37" back from the cab.

Comments?
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL
5 REPLIES 5

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Garyl53:

Got a Demco Glide Ride pin box and chucking disappeared!

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Garyl53
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments. I was adjusting hitch height to level out trailer when I noticed king pin position in relation to axle. Agree with all your comments about chucking. I have a thread going here http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28930417.cfm
to get help with my chucking issue. I was mostly interested in why the industry would have so many different locations for placement of the rails for the same vehicle.
Garyl53
Just me, wife and 2 small dogs
2011 F250 CCSB 6.7L PSD SRW 4x4 Camper/Plow/FX packages: Andersen Hitch, AirLift 5000 Bags, Bilstein 5100s
2017 Redwood 36RL

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:

A couple inches forward or aft of the axle is NOT going to fix a chucking issue.

Does the TV have very good shocks? Bilstein are a good choice.

Do you have enough pin weight?? The dry percentage is 24 percent are you close to that?

Is the 5er level when being towed?

Does the 5er have shocks, this will help also.

Level 5er makes much smother towing.

24% dry pin weight is good unless pin is getting unloaded when trailer is loaded 'camp ready'

Low pin weight......chucking
Towing nose high....chucking

Loose hitch.......chucking
Hitch rail bolts not torqued....re-torque
Hitch loose in rails.....reposition rails so hitch legs/tabs go into slots tight
Hitch head bolts not torqued....re-torque
Slop between hitch jaws and king pin.......replace worn parts.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
If you are having a chucking issue, it would normally not be from being too far ahead of axle center. Being behind axle center may be a cause, or towing nose high. If you have too much pin wt for your TV suspension another cause.

Two inches ahead of axle center is considered the best for FW towing, but anything between that and dead on axle center should be good.

I am one inch in front of axle center, and towing with a 13 F250 6' 9" bed.

Jerry

A couple inches forward or aft of the axle is NOT going to fix a chucking issue.

Does the TV have very good shocks? Bilstein are a good choice.

Do you have enough pin weight?? The dry percentage is 24 percent are you close to that?

Is the 5er level when being towed?

Does the 5er have shocks, this will help also.

Level 5er makes much smother towing.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you are having a chucking issue, it would normally not be from being too far ahead of axle center. Being behind axle center may be a cause, or towing nose high. If you have too much pin wt for your TV suspension another cause.

Two inches ahead of axle center is considered the best for FW towing, but anything between that and dead on axle center should be good.

I am one inch in front of axle center, and towing with a 13 F250 6' 9" bed.

Jerry