cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hand rail needed on steps to bedroom

Explorer
Explorer
My wife is having some problems with balance and I would like to install some hand rails inside my new 5th wheel going up to the bedroom. Has anyone done this? Where can I buy short rail to install.
Thanks for your help.
17 REPLIES 17

sueray23
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I made my hand rail. My wife was having trouble with the steps also. She had the walls to help her but still had trouble getting up and down. With the hand rail it made it so much better. I'm not sure if photo will show up. If you are interested Send me your email address and I will send photos.
( sueray23@gmail.com )

Lakejumper
Explorer
Explorer
If you want a wooden handrail try the boating hardware websites as well. I've place two rails, one on the cabinet by my entrance door so I can grab it while carrying things into the RV (I also have the long metal assist bar outside). I placed another rail by the bedroom steps. I also changed the height of the steps as my trailer only had two steep steps going into the bedroom.
Lakejumper

2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
2012 Chevy Equinox

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
off topic, but it's because of these steps I stick with a TT. Getting in the front door from the ground is bad enough. The older I get, the less I like steps.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Giving me ideas now. Something else to put on the 'to do' list. A hand rail is nice to have, if not so much for going up but for stepping down. I have slipped a few times. Socks on carpet & only getting a heel on a step corner is not good.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
We had one installed for my wife at the dealer when we bought it. That was in 2009 and is very solid.. It is in the same place as the one Rob Fla is showing. I would presume it's attached to wall studs. Ours isn't as long as the one above but it works for my wife. It's in a FR Silverback.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
Rob_Fla wrote:
We added a handrail to our Jayco, one of the more used mods we have done.

Got the Oak material from Lowes, stained to match interior wood.

Made the spacer blocks behind it to space it out from the wall.

I used a stud finder, two of the standoffs are screwed into aluminum wall studs, two are just screwed into the wall.

It is rock solid, I have pulled on it daily pretty hard for almost 2 years now and it is still rock solid.

Again, great mod that gets used everyday !!!
2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW

pointrow
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting topic. I to wanted to add a handrail on our steps on our 13 Pinnacle but when I e-mailed Jayco they informed me that they would cancel my warranty if I added one in that area.
Since then I have learned from others that the easiest way is to see and mark the supports on a cold day when the dew shows up on the outside of the coach. You then can transfer the location on the inside to know where to drill and mount the hand rail.
Hope this helps.
later
pointrow

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
I had to install assist bars for my wife to get up the steps into the bedroom from the kitchen on our fifth.
Obtaining the rails was the easy part!
I had to remove the "wall skin" and beef up the very light framing in the wall then re-skin.
Can't tell the wall was apart after I finished.
Not too difficult but well worth the effort.
Also added one in the toilet area for her.
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have one in our HitchHiker and it came as standard equipment. It is the same type of handle that is right beside the door as we go outside. Maybe your manufacturer has one that you can repurpose and will match your interior.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
be darn sure you go into a stud, that's all I can add to this

therink
Explorer
Explorer
How are you all mounting to wall? I would be afraid to pull on it as it would rip the wall out.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a hand rail from Newmar that matched our interior wood. As I recall it was originally used as a vertical grab rail beside the door.

Just put screws through the wall (into the toilet area) and capped them with chrome washers and chrome acorn nuts. Not terribly strong, but certainly adequate for a handhold to steady yourself on the steps.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

oilslick
Explorer
Explorer
You could always use the white aluminum deck rail for stairs and fasten to the floor, easy to remove without trace.

Rob_Fla
Explorer
Explorer
We added a handrail to our Jayco, one of the more used mods we have done.

Got the Oak material from Lowes, stained to match interior wood.

Made the spacer blocks behind it to space it out from the wall.

2014 Redwood 38FL
2018 RAM 3500 DRW