cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Honda Generator "revs up" every 20-30 minutes?

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Got a new rig this year. Still running our Honda Generator 2000. Mainly just run it to charge the batteries up in the coach. I have it set on eco mode and it usually just stays at a low idle. On our new camper, about every 20-30 minutes? The generator revs up for about 5-7 seconds and then settles down again. Never did this on our old camper. Is there something in the new camper that powers on every so often to cause the generator to do this? It happens even when nobody is in the camper using anything. If the generator is running and I turn the sink on to activate water pump, that doesn't cause the generator to increase rpm. Can even have some lights on and a fan with water pump on too and it doesn't cause the generator to rev up. I wonder what could be Powering on every so often to cause the increased RPMs on the generator? Air/Heat is off too. Generator doesn't rev up like that when we plug in to another camper.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED
20 REPLIES 20

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butch50 wrote:
What brand of fridge do you have? On the some of the Dometic 12 cu ft there is a door heater that comes on to keep the control condensation on the door frame. I don't know how often it comes on or how much it draws.

Frame heater, roughly about 12 watts, an amp or less. I don't think thats enough to spool up a Honda 2000? Now the main heating element itself at 325 watts or more is different. I believe all Dometics have the frame heater. Some have a switch to turn them off, some don't.

Ours is wired direct into the light circuit, I snipped the wire after the frame heater attempted to melt its way through the plastic in the top of the fridge. Dometic sent an entire new fridge to my house under warranty, its still sitting in the box in my garage. I have been using the original for 2 full seasons now without the frame heater, and have yet to notice any condensation.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Fly,

Here is a calculator to let you know which is cheaper.

http://www.maxmcarter.com/fuels/fuelscalc.html

FLY 4 FUN wrote:
I guess it depends on the cost of LP vs gas for genset. If I dry camp everything goes on LP. If I run my honda, I want it for charging, and some use of Tv/Dvd microwave etc. If the fridge is on Auto, and the genset ramps up to run it then your gas consumption goes up. Here LP is much cheaper than gas and absorption fridges burn very little LP in regular use.

my .02
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it depends on the cost of LP vs gas for genset. If I dry camp everything goes on LP. If I run my honda, I want it for charging, and some use of Tv/Dvd microwave etc. If the fridge is on Auto, and the genset ramps up to run it then your gas consumption goes up. Here LP is much cheaper than gas and absorption fridges burn very little LP in regular use.

my .02
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gottahaveit wrote:
When you are dry camping ALWAYS put your fridge on gas :W

what is the reasoning behind this? I usually leave it on auto and let the generator run it on electric when it's running. Just figured I was saving a little propane this way.

Gottahaveit
When you are dry camping ALWAYS put your fridge on gas :W
40ft Mandalay Quad Slide
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
riggsp wrote:
May be because of the converter/charger cycling.

rjstractor wrote:
^^^^ That's where my money is.

Yep what these ^^^^^ guys said. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Any inductive load may have an inrush current.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
^^^^ That's where my money is.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
May be because of the converter/charger cycling.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
2oldman wrote:
It would certainly rev up for a bigger load, but it wouldn't settle back down. I can't think of what kind of load that would be.

Actually a medium small electric motor would do just that. There is a big spike in demand to get the motor turning and then it settles back after a second or so. It may take the generator a couple seconds to react and slow back down.

It could also be the charger kicking on under light load and then shuts off as the voltage jumps up after a few seconds. This could explain why there isn't a direct correlation to turning on the water pump or lights.

If it was every minute or two, it could be a carburater issue but at 20-30minutes, that's less likely.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Butch50 wrote:
What brand of fridge do you have? On the some of the Dometic 12 cu ft there is a door heater that comes on to keep the control condensation on the door frame. I don't know how often it comes on or how much it draws.

I was told by a mobile tech that the heater was actually just turning on the light in the fridge.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
It would certainly rev up for a bigger load, but it wouldn't settle back down. I can't think of what kind of load that would be.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
diazr2 wrote:
How about the Water heater? Is it electric and Propane. If so when the 35 amp water heater turns on that would cause a spike in output.

I'll double check that, but I'm pretty sure I have the electric option for the water heater off and just leave it on propane all the time unless I'm hooked up to electric continually.