cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long is too long?

rctoyguy
Explorer
Explorer
In the market for a new 5th wheel, and some of the ones we like are 37-ish feet long. I've had friends that have camped much more than I have tell me to stay away from anything over about 33-35 at the most - because it limits your campground options too much.

If you camp with a 37' or longer camper, have you missed out on campgrounds or campsites that you'd rather have had because your camper is too long?

Is towing a 37 noticeably different than towing a 33?
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 CC CTD
B&W Patriot 16K
2017 Forest River Surveyor 299RLOK
18 REPLIES 18

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
A question that comes up over & over. Yes, size matters. You will find that most of those who say no problem with at upper 30s 5er are people who use the commercial CGs mostly.

State parks &, even more so, National Parks can be extremely limiting in sites the larger you go. Some states are better than others. Presumably you are buying for travelling the country not just the local weekend place.

What does the 37'er have that a 34'er does not have besides more floor space?

I did the research on the SPs & NPs first. We were buying for extended travelling & wanted to get into SPs & NPs with few problems with site size. The target max length was 35'. We finished with just under 36' LOA. Over 1500 nights on the road in 10 years & we are sure glad that we stuck, almost, to the length.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I've camped all over Alabama in our 42' fiver and not had an issue yet. We stay at state, COE, city and federal parks in the national foresets with no issues. Some have limited spaces but plan ahead.

On a side note I am purchasing a 16' trailer this fall to open up some boon docking opportunities when it's just myself and the dog.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
What I think is more important is what size/layout fits your anticipated camping/rving lifestyle. Take your time and try to envision doing a days worth of activities in each size rig. If the larger size is what you prefer than go for it.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
From a 5er experience, I can't say. But from a TT experience, actually the longer trailers (and mine is 35.5 feet long) are easier to back up. Not sure how that translates with a 5er.

But? When IS a tow vehicle-trailer combination TOO long? The answer rests with your state requirement for the total max length of your combined vehicle length. In Indiana, that's 60 feet! I'm not very far from that limit myself.

Now about campsites, yes, you won't fit in some. But, we've always found a spot available every campground we wanted to visit. It might not have been under a thicket of trees so deep you can't see the end of your camper, but we've always been able to get a spot somewhere. Maybe some campgrounds cannot accommodate longer trailers, that's why you always need to call ahead, and make reservations whenever possible. If boomdocking somewhere, length usually does not matter. A large parking lot, a road side rest area? All can accommodate 18 wheelers, so they will accommodate you too.

And remember, with a 5er, not only do you have to constantly be aware of length, more important, you have to be conscious of the height!