Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much water in holding tank

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
When I break camp, I drain all tanks.
How much water should I put in the tanks to travel.
I am thinking a couple gallons with some bleach
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚
18 REPLIES 18

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
We only drain when we winterize. We prefer to travel with water as we don't always know where we'll spend the night - if there will be water available. Have seen several RV breakdowns on the roadsides the last couple of days and I wondered if their water tanks were full or empty?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We normally travel with our fresh water tank completely empty. Contrary to what other say, when I have water in the tank, I can feel the difference pulling the trailer. There have been occasions when I've forgotten to drain, or we had water in the tank at home and I didn't drain when we left for a trip. One mile down the road and I'm always saying to my wife, something is wrong, it just doesn't feel right. She says every time, "Did you drain the water?" Duh. I can tell the difference. We carry a 6 gallon jug in the camper with filtered water from home. We use this for my wife's coffee and to use to flush the toilet if we are on the road.

Now about the black and grey tank. We travel with the grey tank as empty as possible. But if we end up using the sink, we have no problems letting water go down the drain (there again, using that 6 gallon jug.)

The black tank is a little different. When flushing the tank, it's always back-flushed with the grey first, then empties completely. Once we know it's cleaned out as humanly as possible, we'll add 2 or 3 gallons of water. If we want to clean the tank a little, we'll add a bit of Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, and sometimes some bleach. We only add bleach if we know we can refill the tank and dump it all. I don't like bleach water in my tank too long. I don't want to risk the valve seals drying out, or crumbling because of bleach exposure. Bleach is caustic if it sits long enough. So, when using bleach, I have to be able to rinse the tank and flush within a short while. We'll do this sometimes when traveling and moving from one camp ground to another, or do it at home when leaving, knowing that afternoon we'll be in a full hook up camp site and I can flush the tank then.

If using Dawn or Tide or something like that in the tank, all you need is a couple gallons of water and a nice generous amount of Dishwashing or Laundry soap. All the sloshing around in the tank when driving will pulverize the inside of the tank and clean it real nice. No need to dump it, just use it and dump when full at the campground.

We have, on occasion, traveled with a few gallons of water in the fresh tank. But we avoid it as much as possible.

dmck413
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with about 10 gallons in fresh tank unless going boondocking. Gray tanks empty,black tank empty then add 1 toilet full of water with chemical for travel.

tmm2good
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh water tanks, we flush with a little bleach once a year or so. Grey/Black, I drain them completely before we travel if at all possible, or at the first dump station. As far as how much water to carry with you, I usually travel with my fresh tank full.
18 GD Momentum 376
13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
Motorcycles / ATV's