cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to know the actual lenght of Fifth Wheels

Eyeland
Explorer
Explorer
I want to upgrade to another RV. Problem is the RV must not be longer than 40' including the hitch and bumper. The RV's has no standards across the industry on the lengths. Such as Mobil Scout 31bwfs is actually 36' from front of hitch to back cap/bumper. We would like to get a Carriage, Teton, Mobil Suite etc, Any suggestions or publications would help Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
We've been shopping for a 5W and has a rule of thumb the dealers say is to add three feet to the model# length.
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

DKRITTER
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
..........so if it was close the pin heads at the HOA wouldn't give me trouble......

Thanks for a good laugh this morning.
2015 F350 CC SRW LB
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My last FR Product)
20,000lb Reese Goose Box

Eyeland
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all that responded. Now it is time for me to look then measure and decide on type of rig.

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone is all over the place on their measurements. The HOA we have in mind has a 45 ft limit and they measure front to back including ladder and end cap. We just got done at the Tampa show today and measured the momentum we want. 42ft 3 inches on the brochure (which states from the pin back) and actual is 44ft even. I was a little liberal when I brought the tape down to measure (ground point) so if it was close the pin heads at the HOA wouldn't give me trouble so it is likely an inch or two long but regardless well over the brochure length..

If your place has a limit and they enforce it strictly, best to measure it yourself and make sure you'll make it.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
It seems to me that the brochure length, or model length, is almost always understated. I wonder if the manufacturers are trying to help us out a little bit when it comes time for registration. In a number of states they charge by the foot. So if the brochure says it's a 32RKS, well it's a "32", if you catch my drift.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

DKRITTER
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, we've been in a lot of parks over the years, many of which having limits but have never seen or heard of anyone actually measuring one.

I will say if in the reservation/check-in process if I am asked and I frequently am I give the published length from the manufacture of 39'10".

The older the park the more issues you'll have, we have been in some state parks when we travel and the spaces just weren't built for the large trailers many people have today.

It's a very good idea you are going to verify this from there you'll have a clear understanding of this parks rules.

This is reminding me of the soup guy in Seinfeld.
2015 F350 CC SRW LB
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (My last FR Product)
20,000lb Reese Goose Box

Eyeland
Explorer
Explorer
DKRITTER, The park is the SKP in Casa Grande. AZ and they will measure the rig. This group has brought up good questions. What will be measured? From the front of the hitch to the bumper, or rear cap or the back of the ladder.. I will clarify that answer tomorrow..

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
Plumb Bob on the leading edge of the front cap, mark the floor with tape. Then the same on the back and measure in between.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

nofish
Explorer
Explorer
There is rarely any correlation between the model number & the actual length. ie Jayco 36rlst is over 39 feet long. A dealer recently said he thought the manufacturers are not willing to use a model number over 39 as really don't want customers to know how long the unit really is. And, brochures, websites etc show different lengths for the same model. Some are from the king pin to rear, others are who knows what. Measure it if you want to know for sure.
Larry G

bswan
Explorer
Explorer
Eyeland - funny that you used the example that you did. I recently upgraded from my Sunnybrook Mobile Scout 31BWFS to a Carriage Cameo F37CKSLS. If I recall the actual end to end measurement of the Cameo is around 38'4". I still have the Mobile Scout but am planning to sell it this spring.

Best wishes,
Bryan

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get whatever you want and when the park ask how long it is; reply "39 feet- 10 inches". Sound certain and they won't argue.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
DKRITTER wrote:
My trailer measured is a little over 41' when I put a tape (eyeballed) on it, but the manufacturer publishes 39'10" and that's what I go by.

If it's really that big of a deal take 18" and add that to the published length.

BTW, I've never seen anyone measuring a trailer in a RV park.

I think maybe he wants to garage it in an existing building.

The OP stated that the park he is in has a 40' limit, but hasn't stated whether they actually measure it.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
DKRITTER wrote:
My trailer measured is a little over 41' when I put a tape (eyeballed) on it, but the manufacturer publishes 39'10" and that's what I go by.

If it's really that big of a deal take 18" and add that to the published length.

BTW, I've never seen anyone measuring a trailer in a RV park.

I think maybe he wants to garage it in an existing building.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do they go by what the RV is called or actual length? Our 39TKSB3 Mobile Suites measures 41' back cap to front cap. Add the ladder and you are closer to 42'.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD