cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to wire the fuel gauge

RUIDOSOSHAW
Explorer
Explorer
can someone tell me how and where the wires go on the fuel gauge inside the unit and switch. the gauge has 3 place for wire and the switch has 6 place. have no ideal how to or which wires and have no manual on the 2006 weekend warrior superlite fs2300. got the radio working, but still working on the fuel gauge. what color of wires go where on the gauge and switch thanks for your help.
14 REPLIES 14

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I haven't seen the other thread.
This should be an easy problem.
OP must identify the wires and where they go.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
Lisa, to find out what the problem is you really need a hand held volt ohm meter to test for power and grounds, and check resistance reading of sending unit. The sending unit is suspect in most cases.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
Chenowth 4-seat 3.5 honda
15 maverick xds
Beautiful wife that's much nicer than me:B

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
It must have been set for two tanks. center is common that should go to the gauge and one of the other wires goes to your tank and the other wire is not used.
Just a guess!

Bud, would like to help but really don't understand what is going on in the 2 threads on this subject.?

It is obvious the gauge is not working. Does it always read empty? Full? How much fuel is in the tank?

First thread says 4 contact switch, this thread says 6 contact switch and three wires on the gauge? Are the three wires still on gauge?

I don't understand why things are being rewired? Were wires removed from switch and gauge without labeling them?

Maybe its just me, but I don't get it?
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
15 maverick xds

RUIDOSOSHAW
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I know that the battery must be hooked up.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It must have been set for two tanks. center is common that should go to the gauge and one of the other wires goes to your tank and the other wire is not used.
Just a guess!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RUIDOSOSHAW
Explorer
Explorer
It rock up and down ( can be pushed up and down). Just not sure how to hookup the wires on the switch from the fuel gauge being all the wires (3) are red.

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
And you do know there has to be a battery hooked up and disconnect switch turned on while checking fuel gauge correct?
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
15 maverick xds

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
RUIDOSOSHAW wrote:
So, the wire in the center on the switch goes to the fuel gauge
Look on the back of gauge and tell us which terminal it goes to? Is there a large S there?

04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
15 maverick xds

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Look at the side of the switch for a model number or switch information. Sounds like it is a momentary switch, is this correct?
Does it rock in one direction?
some gauge only has power going to the gauge then to the switch and then to sender in the tank that goes to ground.
Use a meter to test each wire, Test for voltage then resistance.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

RUIDOSOSHAW
Explorer
Explorer
So, the wire in the center on the switch goes to the fuel gauge. The two on the side go where. Could the fuel gauge be bad, I found the same fuel gauge on weekendwarriorgear.com for 25.00. Still do not understand how and where the wire go from the switch that when pressed lets me know how much fuel is in the tank. I have only one tank. Also, all the wires from the switch are red. So that is what I do not understand how to wire the switch to the fuel gauge. Not sure if they are even on the switch right or the gauge.

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
OP says her old one and wiring is only three wire.

Thanks edited my post.
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
15 maverick xds

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP says her old one and wiring is only three wire.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

big_buford
Explorer
Explorer
How many tanks do you have?
04.5 GMC 2500HD D/A
06 38 CKS Dune Chaser
15 maverick xds

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The center contacts go to the gauge, each of the end contacts come from the tank.
Use three contacts on one side. The other side would be used for switching the tanks electrically.
Hard to read. Look closely on the right side of this drawing.Fuel selector valve diagram

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow