cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I dont understand tires!

esfd243
Explorer
Explorer
So we had a blow out of Constancy tires on 26 in SC. Lots of damage to include a hole in the floor of one of the slides. Insurance is working on that.

I will replace all 4 tires but I read about Goodyear Endurance ST and LT tires as well as Sailun s637. I do not know the difference in ST or LT? Or the Goodyear or Sailun?
Mike, Dawn & Mallori
2016 Hemisphere 368RLBH
2012 Chevy 2500 HD D/A 3.73
14 REPLIES 14

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNRon wrote:
Weโ€™ve run Sailuns at 105-110psi for the last 2yrs on our 14000lb 5er and are very happy with them. A little overkill but Iโ€™d recommend them for the peace of mind. They havenโ€™t โ€œbeat our trailer to deathโ€ but we do have MorRyde IS also.

Same here on all counts (14K, Sailun, MOR/ryde IS).

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever tire you get, put TPMS on them. Might save you damage from a blowout next time.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Regardless of the tires selling points or weight ratings, simply pick one of each up and observe the differences for yourself

It was quite the eye opener when I had the E-rated ST garbage pulled off my trailer and replaced with a set of Bridgestone Duravis 250s. No comparison in terms of weight, sidewall thickess and overall build quality.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
esfd243 wrote:
So we had a blow out of Constancy tires on 26 in SC. Lots of damage to include a hole in the floor of one of the slides. Insurance is working on that.

I will replace all 4 tires but I read about Goodyear Endurance ST and LT tires as well as Sailun s637. I do not know the difference in ST or LT? Or the Goodyear or Sailun?

You have a lot of potential cargo capacity for a couple of 6000# axles. I suspect you have the standard ST235/80R16E tires and may have pushed their limit with an overloaded axle. Sorry, just guessing. Find some scales and prove me wrong.

Youโ€™re not going to find a true Light Truck (LT) with the load capacity necessary for replacing those original tires. Your best option is to use the same sized tire and go up a couple of load ranges to load range G. Youโ€™ll most likely have to change wheels but the all steel cased LRG in that size is an outstanding trade-off and you wonโ€™t have to use the full 110 PSI inflation pressures. Somewhere around 95 PSI will provide more than the necessary load capacity you need from the replacement tires.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
laknox wrote:
In reality, they are virtually the same tire (same company) but the R250 is usually about $50-60 cheaper per tire.

Lyle

Wrong, Firestone/Bridgestone is NOT a Michelin company. BF Goodrich is, you may have confused the two.

Problem seems to be that many tire dealers refuse to install a LRE LT in the place of a LRE ST, having drank the ST Koolaid. Chris

You're right, Chris. Don't know why I keep forgetting that.

Tire dealers simply won't replace a tire with =less= capacity on the sidewall than the placard states, even if the replacement is demonstrably better. No problem if you're going =up= in rating, usually. Only way 'round it is to take all the wheels off yourself and schlep them to the dealer to mount and balance. Total CYA policy driven by the lawyers.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
laknox wrote:
In reality, they are virtually the same tire (same company) but the R250 is usually about $50-60 cheaper per tire.

Lyle

Wrong, Firestone/Bridgestone is NOT a Michelin company. BF Goodrich is, you may have confused the two.

Problem seems to be that many tire dealers refuse to install a LRE LT in the place of a LRE ST, having drank the ST Koolaid. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
MWJones wrote:
To answer your question. ST is Special Trailer. Built to withstand the large amount of pressure put on the sidewalls when making SHARP turns as we do when parking trailers.

Right out to the old ST propaganda manual. If they lived up to their claims they would have not self destructed at such high rates over the last two decades.

The GY Endurance may be a game changer in the ST tire offerings. Time will tell.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
esfd243 wrote:

Assuming you have 16" wheels, 2 great options would be Michelin XP Ribs or Bridgestone Duravis R250. In reality, they are virtually the same tire (same company) but the R250 is usually about $50-60 cheaper per tire. All-steel construction, tread and sidewalls. Yes, they are LT tires and you could push the envelope on their stated sidewall loading, but they are far and away better than any ST, IMO. While the Sailun seem to be great tires, they're overkill for a trailer of your GVW.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve run Sailuns at 105-110psi for the last 2yrs on our 14000lb 5er and are very happy with them. A little overkill but Iโ€™d recommend them for the peace of mind. They havenโ€™t โ€œbeat our trailer to deathโ€ but we do have MorRyde IS also.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
esfd243 wrote:
What size tire? What is the trailer GVWR?

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question. ST is Special Trailer. Built to withstand the large amount of pressure put on the sidewalls when making SHARP turns as we do when parking trailers.
LT is Light Truck. Built to handle heavy loads and highway speeds.
Hope this helps.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

jrs1871
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry to hear of your mishap. Who had ever heard of Constancy tires. I swear I don't know what dung heap they get some of those tires from. That being said, we bought the Sailun S637 two years ago. We have about 18,000 miles on them and they still look new. And like Me Again said, with your weight you only need to inflate to 85-90 pounds. We runs ours at 85(12,900 weight when packed and ready to roll) and that seems to work just fine. The only complaint I have heard is that in some areas of the country they are hard to find.

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear is also known for covering trailer damage caused by their tire blowouts....
If it matters to you, Goodyear Endurance are also made in the USA.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume it came with ST235/80R16E maypops. The new Goodyear Endurance ST is a good choice. Given the 14080 GVWR, the Sailun S637 might we an overkill. They are however a really good tire for the money. You would only need about 85-90 inflation for your load. If you inflated them to 110 pounds they would beat the trailer to death.

Fully loaded you will have less that 12K on the axles. A steel ply carcass tire like the S637 will add to towing stability and have a low rolling resistance.

Here is information on warranty and claims.

https://lionsheadtireandwheel.com/media/uploads/0/952_2015-Warranty-Claim-Form-Update-pdf.pdf