cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas for battery box under 5th wheel

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
We have a small 5th wheel that has 1 battery installed outside (no basement compartment) right underneath the bedroom area on the front of the 5th wheel behind the hitch. I'd like to replace it and install some sort of a box for 2 batteries and an inverter. It would have to be compartmented, and vented, and lockable. Wondered if anyone had any ideas of something already pre-made that would work for this. We want to do some dry camping next summer. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Gary in Michigan
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Double Cab 5.3 Liter V8
1996 Coachmen Catalina RB210 21' Fifth Wheel
495 Watts Solar, 40 AMP Renogy Tracer MPPT Controller,2 GC2 6V Batts.
11 REPLIES 11

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Maintaining charge on those batteries could be an issue. Consider 200+ watts solar and put the controller in with the inverter. You would still wire it all to the RV 12v system and maybe leave the existing battery in place.

My ultimate goal is to have solar, but funds are limited so first things first. Batteries, at least 2 for now, but with room for 2 more, and then the inverter, as well as a portable genny. Get all that together then I'll be looking at controller and panels. Really like the idea of the 2 boxes on the bumper.

Thanks!
Gary in Michigan

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you put something on the rear bumper get a long thin box that can be ON TOP of the bumper. Hanging out toward the rear on some rack is asking for trouble.

I would be inclined to get two boxes. One for the pair of batteries and one for the inverter. If going big (2000+ watts) you really need four+ batteries to support it. Could just mount an exterior outlet to plug in the main cord.

Maintaining charge on those batteries could be an issue. Consider 200+ watts solar and put the controller in with the inverter. You would still wire it all to the RV 12v system and maybe leave the existing battery in place.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GaryS1953 wrote:
That is PERFECT! sometimes I just don't think of the obvious. Just because the battery is currently in the front doesn't mean it has to stay there. what issues would I have moving it all to the back?

As kep5niner says, need heavier wiring to avoid voltage loss. Depending on what else you might want to keep in the box, you might want to add bracing along the frame, forward of the bumper, to help support the weight. Since most of the less expensive racks are about 500 lbs' capacity, build towards that, at minimum. On my Komfort, I added just a heavier tube, specifically for a bike rack, but would feel comfortable with about 300 lbs on the rack.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

kep5niner
Explorer
Explorer
GaryS1953 wrote:
That is PERFECT! sometimes I just don't think of the obvious. Just because the battery is currently in the front doesn't mean it has to stay there. what issues would I have moving it all to the back?

Voltage drop. You would need some 0 AWG for any considerable distance.
2016 Salem Hemisphere 368 RLBH / 2014 F250 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke / 2011 Bayliner 315 / T/5.0 MPI

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Gary in Michigan

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
GaryS1953 wrote:
We have a small 5th wheel that has 1 battery installed outside (no basement compartment) right underneath the bedroom area on the front of the 5th wheel behind the hitch. I'd like to replace it and install some sort of a box for 2 batteries and an inverter. It would have to be compartmented, and vented, and lockable. Wondered if anyone had any ideas of something already pre-made that would work for this. We want to do some dry camping next summer. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Beef up the rear bumper and add a locking tool box on a cargo rack.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

GaryS1953
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, the one exterior compartment I have is just below the 2 steps going up to the "bedroom". Very small, currently holds my stabilizer jack handle and my the crank handle for the lifting the front, along with a few other odds and ends. Definitely way too small for batteries, let alone inverter.
Gary in Michigan

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The need to vent depends on the type of battery. Wet cells need venting.

AGMs & Gel cells do not. This is why they are the battery types of choice for cruising boats. They can be mounted anywhere. Enclosed spaces such as under berths is common.

So if you have a convenient interior space to locate batterys consider changing the battery type & forget about the complexities of creating something that does not exist.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Is the compartment that small? My 4x GC2 fit just fine.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Torklift has this type of frame mounted model available...

google image

Saw this online doing a google search. Pretty interesting having a mount under the trailer with several batteries on it... This has a manually operated winch line thru the floor to lower the frame down when working on the batteries... Don't know how this work well with wet batteries for measuring the inside battery fluid levels hehe...

google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There are all kinds of mounts that hang on the side of a frame rail. Kind of a pain to get to but would work real nice.