cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you are selling on RVTrader... =UPDATE=

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
...beware of scams going around. Have had 2 scam texts this week, purportedly from RVTrader and saying my account was in danger of, or had been, suspended. Nothing in email lately; these are texts to my phone. I've reported them both to fraud@traderonline.com as well as using the "report spam" feature on my phone. Have not had anything come through RVT...so far.

Just a warning to be extra-careful.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member
9 REPLIES 9

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
UPDATE - 2-17-16

This morning, I got a general email from RVTrader about this issue. Sounds like I wasn't the only one this happened to. Glad they're on top of it over there. Only suggestion they have, though, is to hide your phone #, which doesn't make selling any easier, IMO.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Scams for purchase of what you are selling are nothing new.

I prefer Craigslist (excellent results) - and expect some scammers - although recently out of about 50 calls on a TT I was selling, not a single scammer.

Advertise as cash only, funds to be exchanged -in person- at their bank or yours.
Claim they don't have a local bank (yeah, right!) - tell 'em to open an account at the bank of their choice. Now they have a local bank.

I use (only) a dedicated voice mail service for incoming replies.
(It's *NOT* my home or cell phone number).

Callers are told it's VM only, and instructed to leave a name and number and I will call them back (at *MY* convenience) in the order that the calls were received.

They are also advised - I will indicate (on the voice mail) if the item has been sold.

When sold, that info becomes the new message - no need to keep answering a phone or deleting e-mails/texts *after* the sale.
Yes - I must delete the VM calls - but can do that "whenever".

It must work - although there are some repeat callers who think they will eventually reach a "real" person, they are all genuine ......sometimes with silly questions, but the system has been flawless for me..:C

Would imagine texts are like accepting E-mail replies (tried that once) - way, WAY too much "clutter" - and repeats!..:(

BTW - when/if I return calls initially - I use a TracPhone (w/out VM activated) to see if they "check out".

No caller ever has my real phone number/s until they pass muster.

~

I worked in the high-end watch business for 15 years, so know any number of scams, including bad credit cards (sellers have ZERO recourse), counterfeit checks and "retracted" wire transfers. We flat-out stopped taking PayPal, because of the card issue. After a while, you just get to know if a "customer" is hinky. About the only thing we didn't get hit with was out and out bad currency, and plenty of that changed hands, too. 🙂

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Scams for purchase of what you are selling are nothing new.

I prefer Craigslist (excellent results) - and expect some scammers - although recently out of about 50 calls on a TT I was selling, not a single scammer.

Advertise as cash only, funds to be exchanged -in person- at their bank or yours.
Claim they don't have a local bank (yeah, right!) - tell 'em to open an account at the bank of their choice. Now they have a local bank.

I use (only) a dedicated voice mail service for incoming replies.
(It's *NOT* my home or cell phone number).

Callers are told it's VM only, and instructed to leave a name and number and I will call them back (at *MY* convenience) in the order that the calls were received.

They are also advised - I will indicate (on the voice mail) if the item has been sold.

When sold, that info becomes the new message - no need to keep answering a phone or deleting e-mails/texts *after* the sale.
Yes - I must delete the VM calls - but can do that "whenever".

It must work - although there are some repeat callers who think they will eventually reach a "real" person, they are all genuine ......sometimes with silly questions, but the system has been flawless for me..:C

Would imagine texts are like accepting E-mail replies (tried that once) - way, WAY too much "clutter" - and repeats!..:(

BTW - when/if I return calls initially - I use a TracPhone (w/out VM activated) to see if they "check out".

No caller ever has my real phone number/s until they pass muster.

~

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
Another scam, popular around the boarder, is someone will offer you your asking price, will send you the funds through PayPal and have someone pick up the unit. Once they get it across the boarder, they came it wasn't as advertised and PayPay refunds them. You are out the bucks and property.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
laknox wrote:
...beware of scams going around. Have had 2 scam texts this week, purportedly from RVTrader and saying my account was in danger of, or had been, suspended. Nothing in email lately; these are texts to my phone. I've reported them both to fraud@traderonline.com as well as using the "report spam" feature on my phone. Have not had anything come through RVT...so far.

Lyle

Thanks for heads up as I am contemplating using RVT

What are you selling?

Do NOT confuse RVTrader (part of the Auto Trader company) with RVT; they are separate entities. Touch wood, I've not had issues with RVT contacts, only Trader...not that there have been many from either place.

PM me for info, as I don't want to get whacked with the moderator stick.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
laknox wrote:

Lyle

Thanks for heads up as I am contemplating using RVT

What are you selling?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SanMarMor
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I don't open and, immediately delete all that junk.

X2
2007.5 Chevy 3500HD Crew DMax Dually 4x4 w/ Curt Q5 20K Hitch
2011 Sabre 31RETS-6 w/ TrailAir Pin

44 nights in 2013, 37 nights in 2014, 27 nights in 2015, 29 nights in 2016
34 nights in 2017, 27 in 2018

http://camping.morrises.com/

broark01
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for letting us know, it is hard to discern the **** from the real sometimes.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. I don't open and, immediately delete all that junk.