cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate 40 through the Smoky

Cougarnewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Going west from Raleigh N.C. on I40 next week. Just wondering how rough of a climb it is through the Smokys? Any 6% or harder climb?
Thanks
AL
May All Your On Ramps be Downhill
7 REPLIES 7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
I believe I have read that interstate road systems are limited to 6 percent. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think I've read that before. And there are several through the Smokey's. An exhaust brake is a wonderful thing through that area. ๐Ÿ™‚

I just looked this up about the interstate roadway:

"Maximum grade is six percent, with certain exceptions allowed in mountainous regions."

I'm pretty sure there are a few spots on I-17 here in AZ that are > 6%. Not many, and not long.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

e3825_350
Explorer
Explorer
We used I40 out of Ashville to I 75 and found the I 40 xpress way to be an enjoyable and relatively level road. I was surprised.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cougarnewbie wrote:
Going west from Raleigh N.C. on I40 next week. Just wondering how rough of a climb it is through the Smokys? Any 6% or harder climb?
Thanks
AL

Black mountain will be your steepest climb. Just take your time. Once over the hump. It is an easy ride. however as you get farther west. The speed limit drops to 50 MPH because of curves.

Also remember coming back. Start down Black Mountain slow. Going up is much easier, and safer than coming down. So drop down thru the gear box to a gear low enough to hold you to 35 MPH or so. Do NOT ride your brakes
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I also tow thru there a lot. 6.2 Ford Gasser with 10K fifth wheel.

Not a problem unless the truck convoys get long. It is kinda scary trying to pass with that big barrier in the center of the road.

I think what makes that tow seem OK considering all is that the grades that are 6% don't seem that long on a comparative basis.

The 0ee stop at the top seems to help me unwind some.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe I have read that interstate road systems are limited to 6 percent. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think I've read that before. And there are several through the Smokey's. An exhaust brake is a wonderful thing through that area. ๐Ÿ™‚

I just looked this up about the interstate roadway:

"Maximum grade is six percent, with certain exceptions allowed in mountainous regions."
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take your time travel that way a lot . Just give the semis room

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Between Black Mountain and Old Fort, there are five miles of strong 6%. The westbound descent is about 1-1/4 mile of 6%. The Mountain Directory (East and West versions available) is a good investment.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015