Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate 80 over the Rockies

WHThayer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys...
I just finished a cross Canada trip from Montreal to the Yukon . I want to go down to the San Francisco area and then back home. I was looking at I80 to cross the USA. I HATE mountain driving. Is it basically flat or ridiculously mountainous over the rockies?? Your input would be very much appreciated.
Stockman
25 REPLIES 25

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
WHThayer wrote:
Is it basically flat or ridiculously mountainous over the rockies??
That's funny.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are cruel, the wind only blows in the southern part of the state, and the middle, and the central northern, and the northeast, some of the time. And that's not true about falling down when the wind stops, I have only seen a few people suffer that when the wind unexpectedly stopped, the rest of us were able to remain standing, usually marveling at the stillness of it all, while it lasted.
John A. Lichty

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If the wind would ever stop blowing in Wyoming, everyone who lives there would fall down.

Rancher_Will
Explorer
Explorer
I drive I-80 in Wyoming every Week. Yes it is often windy but use good judgement and you should have no trouble. Sherman, and the Laramie Ridge are only half as high as the passes on I-70, US 50 Monarch, US 40 Rabbit Ears, US 160 Wolf Creek, etc, in Colorado, so you should have no problem with elevation on I-80.

I have noticed that I often have a headwind in Wyoming, except at Green River where the wind blows all four directions at once.

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
knshook wrote:
With apologies to Medicine Bow and Rock Springs,which are very scenic.
ROFLMAO!
Stayed in Ft. Bridger just last week coming back to CO from NV. Guy next to us had a bunch of fossils and said he got them from just north of Kemmerer at the Warfield Fossil quarry. We spent an extra day in that scenic area and got a couple fossils!

Every time I think of Rock Springs the name Rock Salt comes to mind...LOL

Tim

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
As I remember the Selkirks........
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Winter snows in Wyoming never melt.

The snow just wears out blowing back and forth across the highways.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
What are you driving and what are you pulling makes a big difference!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
jalichty wrote:
What a bunch of wimps, all of Wyoming is not real windy, just the southern corridor from Evanston to Cheyenne. Unfortunately, that's where our OP is wanting to run. There are only two real hills on I-80 in Wyoming, one around Evanston to Green River, called the Three Sisters and then the Summit from Laramie to Cheyenne. But, since it's interstate, it's fairly straight and not very long anyway. Not at all like the Road to the Sun out of Glacier National Park, of course that's not an interstate anyway.

Well I'll quote a Wyoming rancher: "A Wyoming weather vane is a 40 pound anvil hung on the top of a steel pole with logging chain..."
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
What a bunch of wimps, all of Wyoming is not real windy, just the southern corridor from Evanston to Cheyenne. Unfortunately, that's where our OP is wanting to run. There are only two real hills on I-80 in Wyoming, one around Evanston to Green River, called the Three Sisters and then the Summit from Laramie to Cheyenne. But, since it's interstate, it's fairly straight and not very long anyway. Not at all like the Road to the Sun out of Glacier National Park, of course that's not an interstate anyway.
John A. Lichty

washley1
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Shepherd. The Canadian Rockies are a lot higher and rougher than I remember I80 being, so I would suck it up and power up. It's not THAT long going over that it should shake you.

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
You went across Canada and you want to avoid mountains.:h
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
Buy MOUNTAIN DIRECTORY WEST describes each pass in detail,

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
As noted, except for the Sierras, the Wasatch just east of SLC, and one pass between Cheyenne & Laramie in Wyoming, it's pretty flat. In fact, once you get to Cheyenne, you'll be going very, very gradually downhill. Lots of trucks - I-80 is the workhorse of America - and Wyoming is quite windy (springtime the worst, I suspect). For that matter, it can be windy across the plains anywhere; heading east, you'll catch either a crosswind or a tailwind, and the latter can be quite helpful to the mpg.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375