Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interstate 80 over the Rockies

WHThayer
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys...
I just finished a cross Canada trip from Montreal to the Yukon . I want to go down to the San Francisco area and then back home. I was looking at I80 to cross the USA. I HATE mountain driving. Is it basically flat or ridiculously mountainous over the rockies?? Your input would be very much appreciated.
Stockman
25 REPLIES 25

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
We are staying overnite in Fort Bridger, Wy as I write-after traveling I-80 from Fort Collins, Co. I longed for some mountains.....anything to break up the vast, windy, beige vastness of this 350 mile section of Wy. With apologies to Medicine Bow and Rock Springs,which are very scenic.

rattleNsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
yrusoslo wrote:
How do you think Lewis & Clark felt. LOL

:B Now that's funny.
2010 Cedar Creek 34SATS (The Beast) & 20k Curt Q20 roller slider hitch
2006 Ford F350 SRW,SC Powerstroke diesel Lariat

2003 Harley Heritage Softail (Hogzilla)
and a wifey with tons of patience....

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
double post
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I 40 isn't bad, and much cooler than I 10.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on I10
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

Timay
Explorer
Explorer
Just came that way from NV to CO (last week) - the climb out of Salt Lake City is NASTY, but once over that and once past Ft. Bridger it is a nice fairly flat ride to Rawlins, where we headed south to Denver.

If you hate driving in the mountains (why?) you should stick to the central US...bounce between the Adirondacks and the Rockies (my geography may be off a bit - LOL) and whatever highway that is Just inside the border from the USA that goes from (nearly) coast to coast across Canada...I seem to recall some big old climbs heading east out of Montana :W.

Tim

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try southern route I10 to I20 to Jackson Mississippi where you catch the Natchez trace (pretty drive) to Nashville, from Nashville you can either go north to Ohio (flatter) or continue east to I81 which is a straight shot although a little mountainous to the Thousand Islands crossing at Landsdowne on the 401. Off 81 is the Skyline drive
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

yrusoslo
Explorer
Explorer
How do you think Lewis & Clark felt. LOL

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget the Sierras on the way up to Truckee and Tahoe. Long, long climb from a couple hundred feet ASL to about 6500' ASL, but it's interstate and multi-lane, so twisty, it's not. Once you get over the Sierras, you drop down into flatter country across NV and UT, then have mountains again east of Salt Lake and, as agesilaus said, up to just over 8600' at Sherman Pass in WY.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
compared to I-70, it's pretty flat ... but windy Wyoming is ... welll ... WINDY! I think I'll take windy (twisty) over windy (blowing) any day.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
How could it be flat and at the same time get over the Rockies? The grade is limited to 6% on interstates IIRC. The highest point is the Sherman summit at 8600 ft. If you want flat use I-10
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper