cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is This Level Enough?

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to 5th wheels and took this on a trip and even though it rode well it was too high in the front. I lowered the hitch 1 notch which looked to be 1" and it's still not level. The bottom in the front is about 2 1/2" higher than the bottom in the back. Would any of you lower it more or should I see how it tows before making another adjustment? It has plenty of distance above the bed. The next adjustment would probably be on the pin box.

Thanks, Danny

43 REPLIES 43

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer
My weights
Truck without trailer 8280. Rear 3460. Front 4700..
With trailer Rear 5760. Front 4720
Trailer 12160

You can see that there is 20 lbs added to the front of the truck when the trailer is hitched.
2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
wvcampers wrote:
The snow plow package makes the front of the truck able to carry extra weight without sagging much. It is hard to make the front of the truck drop when loading a fiver in the bed. I have the snow plow and camper package on a F350. The front is pretty stiff. The easiest solution to make the truck level would be to install the 4" blocks on the rear of the truck. Then the nose of the camper would be real high. I would lower the pin box on the trailer and if it tows fine, leave it alone.

By the way, Nice looking rig.

That size RV would be lucky to add 75# to the front axle.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

oldbird1965
Explorer
Explorer
Put some air bags on the truck.
2008 Mobil Suites 36TK3, powerstroke one ton dually.

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
wvcampers wrote:
The snow plow package makes the front of the truck able to carry extra weight without sagging much. It is hard to make the front of the truck drop when loading a fiver in the bed. I have the snow plow and camper package on a F350. The front is pretty stiff. The easiest solution to make the truck level would be to install the 4" blocks on the rear of the truck. Then the nose of the camper would be real high. I would lower the pin box on the trailer and if it tows fine, leave it alone.

Do you know if the snow plow and camper package make an unloaded front end sit any higher than one without it? I actually like the feel of the front end loaded better than when empty.

Thank you and MFL Jerry for the compliments. It's not top of the line and has a few years on it but my wife and I really like it.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
A 5er adds very little weight to the front axle of a truck. Even without a snow prep probably not enough weight to get any front end drop.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

wvcampers
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F350 6.7 CC Lariat DRW
2018 Cardinal Luxury Edition 3250 RLX

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I think many are being mislead by the parking lot pic! That FW loaded, will have well under 2K pin weight. That truck, 250 with 350 suspension is not going to sag, or require suspension help. I have the same truck, with more pin wt, and very little squat. These 250s still have a 2" block vs a 4" block for the 350, so they sit mostly level when empty. While mine squats about an inch loaded, it could easily take more pin wt, without any further suspension enhancement.

Jerry

Nothing misleading in the pic. Pretty easy to see front fender height is higher than rear.

But thats the problem with F250s. They sit level when unloaded so any load puts them nose high. GM and Ram get it right and put some rake in the truck when empty.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ I think you will be happy with the combo once you raise the pin box one hole.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I think many are being mislead by the parking lot pic! That FW loaded, will have well under 2K pin weight. That truck, 250 with 350 suspension is not going to sag, or require suspension help. I have the same truck, with more pin wt, and very little squat. These 250s still have a 2" block vs a 4" block for the 350, so they sit mostly level when empty. While mine squats about an inch loaded, it could easily take more pin wt, without any further suspension enhancement.

Jerry

I'm thinking that you're right Jerry. It's a new to me rig and I haven't noticed the rear going down very much when taking the load off of the jacks. Your 1" squat reference should give me a good starting place. I still have it on the truck so I'm going to measure the distance between the back tire and the wheel well loaded and then unloaded. When unloaded the front looks kinda high to me and I still have to wonder if it's the stiffer springs for the camper package and snow plow prep that may be bringing it up. There's absolutely 0 wagging when driving under all conditions.

I'm going to raise the pin box one hole and be done with that unless I find that my rear really is sagging after loading.

Danny

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like way more than 6" between truck rails and bottom of the fiver. Take it off at the pinbox if you can, or lower your hitch head if possible.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Maintain 6" bed clearance for sure. The more you lower the RV's front the more weight is applied to the trucks rear suspension. Could be the pic but the truck looks to be a bit low in the rear.

Well not in my physics book, when you are talking about 3" if any differences maybe an once or two.
Yes if dropping the pin a couple feet then you start to see weight gain.

Agreed, it may shift weight but probably on the order of ounces.

Also agree that the truck should get leveled out before adjusting the hitch as the picture appears to have the truck sagging pretty good.

Not un common for me to see lots of Ram and fords come into our winter park for years with the rear sagging. So easy to fix with air bags but because of it is a sore subject I never ask why if I talk to them.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Maintain 6" bed clearance for sure. The more you lower the RV's front the more weight is applied to the trucks rear suspension. Could be the pic but the truck looks to be a bit low in the rear.

Well not in my physics book, when you are talking about 3" if any differences maybe an once or two.

Ok Russ I did not say how much weight, now you did. I think taken literally my statement is more accurate. :B

High5er
Explorer
Explorer
That looks more level than most that I see on the road..However.. the photo isn't very level... lol 😉

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
rhagfo wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Agreed, it may shift weight but probably on the order of ounces.

Also agree that the truck should get leveled out before adjusting the hitch as the picture appears to have the truck sagging pretty good.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV