Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jack and Jill Weight limits

KevinHatchfield
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a used 2002 Westwind made by Kustom Koach (Travelaire)
Im curious about the weight limits for the Jack and Jill beds. Specifically the upper bunk.
Even if you do not know the limits for my exact model, I would appreciate any info you have just to give me a ball park.
For the most part, my daughter will be sleeping in the upper bunk, she is roughly 100lbs.
I'm more concerned about a guys weekend, when a drunken buddy may sleep on the upper bunk. Now I'm looking at 200 - 250 lbs.
Any information would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Kevin,
6 REPLIES 6

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most mfrs say 150 lbs limit for liability reasons. Our previous RV was a Sunnybrook with 4 bunks, and on the guys weekend we put the smaller guys up top, the bigger guys on the bottom.

That said, look at how the bunk is attached to the wall...some are made a lot sturdier than others. With a few simple mods you may be able to safely increase the load the top bunk will carry.

The bunks tend to be self-regulating in that a drunk 250 lb guy is going to have a real hard time climbing into the typical RV bunk...the same way the small hole in a wren house keeps out the Blue Jays....

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
KevinHatchfield wrote:
Hi everyone,
I recently bought a used 2002 Westwind made by Kustom Koach (Travelaire)
Im curious about the weight limits for the Jack and Jill beds. Specifically the upper bunk.
Even if you do not know the limits for my exact model, I would appreciate any info you have just to give me a ball park.
For the most part, my daughter will be sleeping in the upper bunk, she is roughly 100lbs.
I'm more concerned about a guys weekend, when a drunken buddy may sleep on the upper bunk. Now I'm looking at 200 - 250 lbs.
Any information would be appreciated!
Thank you,
Kevin,

Put him on the floor, he won't know the difference.
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
I just tried to have a look around and found that Jayco upper bunks weight limit is 150lbs That was on the jayco owners site. Salem had a weight limit of 200lbs. A few other sites mentioned no manufacturer names but did not recommended over 200lbs, 150 being the average.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Nope, nothing that size off bench level, ever.

Unless you have a web cam stuck on the wall to record the failure. 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, nothing that size off bench level, ever.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel