cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jayco or Heartland

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want a debate - my son is going full time and is stuck between two fifth wheels, one made by Jayco the other by Heartland and he asked me if I knew of a web site that he can use to compare. I thought I could find one but I cannot find one that compares resale value or customer complaints? Is there such an animal?
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C
31 REPLIES 31

SH
Explorer
Explorer
No pony in this race but I did purchase a new Big Country in 2011. My experience included excellent customer service from Heartland and a great Owners Club. We had the usual issues with new rigs but after the gray gel-coat faded making our year old rig look like it was ten years old, we moved on. Don't think I would ever buy new again preferring to purchase a good quality used rig instead.

Best Wishes in your Quest!
2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco!!!!!!!! We bought ours in May and vary happy with it. Just as any brand we had a few minor issues and all were taken care of. Some of the issues were dealership caused When it came down to it Jayco C/S made them take care of it under warranty. I have had nothing but a good experience with Jayco, My dealer that's another story we wont go into.
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, very well said mudmaker. Same with the warranty. Length is peace of mind, but not indicative of value. Good example is the outrageous warranties on Kia's or Hyundai's compared to Ford's or Toyota's. Dealership relationship and quality is everything. A good friend had a Montana and traded it for a brand new Arctic Fox fifth wheel. He said he has been very disappointed with the quality. A lot of problems, but the dealership has been great in taking care of all the issues. This dealership has carried the Northwood product line forever it seems, so based on quality issues, I expect that will change with them.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
lawnspecialties wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
What is warranty on the Heartland 5er? I know Jayco has a 2 yr. warranty on their 5er's. That would make some difference to me, unless Heartland also gives a 2 yr. warranty.
One year. Heartland has been good at fixing things that are out of warranty on some occasions. Depends on what it is and how much you complain.

B.O.

Not in my case. I won't rehash the old story. But our one month Cyclone had major problems and Heartland wanted nothing to do with us.

In all fairness, I truly believe you'll have a better chance of success with a Jayco. I'd buy one in a minute if it were up to me.

Cyclone - the toy hauler, right? So, my local dealership that sold us our Heartland Bighorn, said they quit selling Cyclones because of quality issues, but the Bighorn was a great seller and a quality unit. This was told to me by their service department. We've been to the service at the dealership several times to add components (solar system, satellite, cord reel, 2nd AC) because we're keeping this unit till we don't want to or feel we can't handle a fiver anymore.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
mudmaker wrote:
There's good and bad in everything. No different here. All you'll really get is personal experiences of people and the reactions from factory can very well be based on how owners presented their problems to the factory. So it's really not a good scale of what's good and bad.

Good luck.

Well said Mudmaker! The voice of reason! Making decisions and choices based only on the random opinions from the RV.net forum is questionable? If %90 to %100 of all owners of Jacyo & Heartland products presented their opinions, then you might be able to draw some reasonable conclusions on which to make decisions:)

bhivetravels
Explorer
Explorer
OP
As it turns out he went with the Jayco. The warranty won him over - 2 years bumper to bumper - 12 on the roof, 10 on the floor, lifetime on the cabinets where Heartland could not come close with a 1 year bumper to bumper 12 on roof and nothing else.
Jim and Monica
Maj. USAF Ret. โ€” High School Teacher Ret.
2016 Jayco Pinnacle Ford 350 Turbo Diesel
Full-Timing with Meiko and Marlie:C

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
There's good and bad in everything. No different here. All you'll really get is personal experiences of people and the reactions from factory can very well be based on how owners presented their problems to the factory. So it's really not a good scale of what's good and bad.

I do own a Big Country. Purchased from a dealer who sells both Jayco and Heartland. I just liked the feel better in this one. Four season approved although I'll never use it in all four seasons. I do however pull it out practically every weekend from mid April til late October. A couple week long trips get mixed in there too. Hardly ever is this on a campground hard surface but usually on a grass field here or there. I use it and it holds up.
The same type of people build many of the same types of campers in the same communities. Most work piecemeal so the faster they get to quota, the sooner they go home. I would guess behind the walls most are the same. Outside the walls, well most use exactly the same or very similar products so essentially they are the same there too. It'll come down to price, the dealer interaction, and what feels right for you.
Good luck.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
B.O. Plenty wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
What is warranty on the Heartland 5er? I know Jayco has a 2 yr. warranty on their 5er's. That would make some difference to me, unless Heartland also gives a 2 yr. warranty.
One year. Heartland has been good at fixing things that are out of warranty on some occasions. Depends on what it is and how much you complain.

B.O.

Not in my case. I won't rehash the old story. But our one month Cyclone had major problems and Heartland wanted nothing to do with us.

In all fairness, I truly believe you'll have a better chance of success with a Jayco. I'd buy one in a minute if it were up to me.
Like I said 'On some occasions" I've as many positives as negatives.

B.O.

My Heartland Landmark came with a 2 year warranty. I looked and the new ones still come with a 2 year and are also covered for full timing. Jayco doesn't state if they will cover full time.

As far as getting help from Heartland, never had a problem. Would call them and speak to a rep who would okay a mobile tech to come out and work on. Had a faucet give me a problem one time, sent them a picture, had one Fed-Ex to campground in 2 days.

The biggest thing missing is the op didn't state what models his son was looking at. Not knowing what level of trailer, entry or high end, it is hard to make any comparisons of the brands.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawnspecialties wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

B.O.

Like I said 'On some occasions" I've as many positives as negatives.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:

B.O.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
NC Hauler wrote:

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2010 Jayco we bought new in March 2011 and have had only a few minor issues. The biggest issue I had is that the sink drain connections weren't tight and leaked. Once I tightened them they never leaked again. There were a few other minor issues that were small enough I can't remember what they were. We've been very pleased with the Jayco.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
B.O. Plenty wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Bighorns are considered one of the luxury, high end fifth wheels. We don't have any wiring issues. You're right about some basements looking bad. Everything in the Bighorn, at least our 2011 model, is enclosed and well built.
Bighorn is FAR from high end. Same cheap material and construction as most other trailers in the mid price range...I own a Heartland product. It's been okay but just okay. I think structurally they have gotten better than mine but now they are throwing in all kinds of doo-dads and gadgets to make them more flashy, and more unreliable. There are much better choices to be had. My personal choice in the same price range is the Cedar creek. Look like a good solid rig, not overly flashy, decent frame and construction and highly rated factory customer service...JMHO

B.O.
Interesting you would say that. Ours is quality all the way, with no problems with it, but one screw that had to be repositioned. Well built and very comfortable. This one is a keeper for us, it's that good. Prior to this we had a Komfort,full time version, and three previous Kit Companions.
I have to Agree with ReneeG on this one Heartland Big Horns are Higher end 5ers and well built 5er's they are not Mobile Suites or New Horizons Luxury but they are up in the higher End catagory unlike your Heartland Big Country B.O. Plenty which is a nice 5er but one step down from the Big Horn, When we bought our 2015 Montana Legacy we almost bought a Big Horn with their bigger 12in frame like the Monty and Quality Equipment inside NICE RIGS
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner