cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping a stationary 5th wheel movable

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 38 foot fifth wheeler on a permanent site at a campground. The dealer delivered it there for me, as I don't have a truck yet and have no intention of moving it anytime soon. That said, I know I shouldn't just let it sit stationary without moving at all for a long period of time.

I assume I'll have to find a local towing company or another friendly camper to hook up and move my rig every once in awhile, even if it's just around the campground and back to my spot.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before, and how frequently do you think this needs to be done to protect the tires from wear as long as possible?
30 REPLIES 30

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RVA Jeff wrote:
I've got a 38 foot fifth wheeler on a permanent site at a campground. The dealer delivered it there for me, as I don't have a truck yet and have no intention of moving it anytime soon. That said, I know I shouldn't just let it sit stationary without moving at all for a long period of time.

I assume I'll have to find a local towing company or another friendly camper to hook up and move my rig every once in awhile, even if it's just around the campground and back to my spot.

Has anyone dealt with this issue before, and how frequently do you think this needs to be done to protect the tires from wear as long as possible?

There's no real reason you =have= to move it around, IMO. Were it mine, I'd take the tires off and store them in a cool place (they'll likely dry-rot in 3-4 years anyway, especially if China bombs) and block the frame up at 6-8 points along the frame, then fully skirt the trailer, including around the overhang.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Tx! That sounds like the plan

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put the concrete blocks on a solid concrete pad that is bit larger than the block itself. Any lumber yard should have them. Usually 1" thick or 2" thick. If you need to change the elevation a bit to get it level, use some 1" x 6" pressure treated boards cut the same length as the block, between the block and the frame. I would put 4 sets of blocks per side of the trailer. Try to keep the weight load equal, but not too much on the very rear.
Concrete blocks are supporting hundreds of thousands of houses. They will be there longer than you.
Put covers over the tires. Maybe once a year take the covers off and roll the wheels to move the grease around and change the contact points of the bearings.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

mudmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Concrete blocks would do the trick. They are inexpensive as well. It's what all those mobile homes are sitting on.
Glen and Loretta
Marc, Jake, Kirsten and fur kids Dexter and Bernie
2017 KZ Venom 4114TK Toy Hauler
2015 GMC Acadia
15 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax
11 Silverado 3500 SRW quad 6.6 Duramax

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! (And wow, I had no idea the debate between wood and cinder blocks was so controversial ๐Ÿ™‚

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
md_procouple wrote:
My two cents... I wouldn't use cinder blocks they can be a bit shakey after a while esp. after snow etc. I would use pressure treated 4x4's or 4x6's. If you do not have a place to store the wheels if you remove them. simply buy the wheel covers at Camping world or Walmart.
I have a small hunting cabin out in the middle of the woods. Blocks been holding it up for 20 years with no evidence that they won't last another 20. By they way, cinder blocks were replaced by concrete blocks about 50 years ago.

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
My two cents... I wouldn't use cinder blocks they can be a bit shakey after a while esp. after snow etc. I would use pressure treated 4x4's or 4x6's. If you do not have a place to store the wheels if you remove them. simply buy the wheel covers at Camping world or Walmart.
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Probably it would be good to check with someone local, but in some places, if you take it off the wheels, it becomes a residence and is subject to different taxes. Usually a lot higher. But might be a good idea to find out first.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Tax_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I talked to the folks at HWH once. They said that the leveling jacks are not designed to hold a vehicle off the ground. The system may be used to lift one wheel off the ground to change it.

Use the 6 point system to level and place blocks at several points to hold the frame. Jack up the axles and remove the tires. Put blocks under the axles also.

Just my two cents...
Traveling around with the wife and fur kid.
Keep on Truckin (It's a 70s thing)
2022 HR Vacationer 35K (Ford Chassis)
2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 (Toad)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
RVA Jeff wrote:
Hmmm never thought about that. the camper has a six point leveling system. I wonder if those 6 points alone would be enough to support the camper without any damage to them?

IMHO No! the 6 point leveling system is designed to LEVEL the trailer not completely support it off the ground. Block it and take the tires off.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
There is something to be said for rotating the bearings and exercising the brakes once a year or so. Maybe you could make a deal with a nearby service facility to come drive it around a little in the slowest time of year.
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

muzzledan
Explorer
Explorer
Yes the 6 point leveling system should be work to support the fiver with the wheels off.

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer
You're just talking about regular concrete blocks? And excuse me if this is a dumb question, but would you just put the blocks right under the frame somewhere in the back near where the wheels are (were)?

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
RVA Jeff wrote:
Hmmm never thought about that. the camper has a six point leveling system. I wonder if those 6 points alone would be enough to support the camper without any damage to them?

I doubt those jacks are designed to support the full weight of that RV for extended periods. Blocks are cheap, a couple of bucks apiece.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RVA_Jeff
Explorer
Explorer