cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keyless Entry Locks

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I'm thinking about buying a keyless entry system for our '16 Grand Design 317RST from RV Lock and have a couple of questions. The curb side storage compartment has 2 latches. Should I buy one or two keyless latches for that side? Also, any problems with 'RV Locks' brand I should know about?

Thank you.
2016 Grand Design 317RST
2016 Ram Laramie 4x4, CC, LB, DRW, CTD, AISIN, 3.42.
27 REPLIES 27

Dumoldles
Explorer
Explorer
I had problems with my keyless lock...seems too delicate for a door that is constantly being opened and slammed shut. I went back to the original lock that came with my unit.

Dumoldles

jvharal
Explorer
Explorer
I have read on other post of the batteries on keyless systems going dead at the most inopportune times, so it might be beneficial to hide a key on the outside of the coach to prevent a visit from the local locksmith.
James, Virginia and Jackson (terrier mix)
2016 Ford F350 4x4 Dually
2015 Open Range 3X349 RLS

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dirtydan57 wrote:

What do you do with the side that isn't replaced? Do you just leave it unlocked? It seems like it would be easy to pull the unlocked side far enough to get a good grip and just rip the compartment door open.

my basement doors with two "catches" had one that used a key and the other one just a turn to open. as far as pulling, a crowbar will open any basement compartment.
bumpy

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
dirtydan57 wrote:
Thanks for the comments. However, I need to know how many to order for the storage compartment that has 2 latches. Should I get one and leave one unlocked or buy 2 - one for each side. Thanks.

I do not know what people do. I would need five to do outside slam lock replacement, and that is not going to happen.

Chris

Thanks, Chris.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
md_procouple wrote:
We bought the keyless system earlier this year and love it, The system that we have does come with 2 regular keys just in case you forget the combination, or the battery dies. (they last about 6 months). As far as the compartments go we have the round type, for got the brand but have set them up on the same combination. You only need ONE for each compartment. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!

What do you do with the side that isn't replaced? Do you just leave it unlocked? It seems like it would be easy to pull the unlocked side far enough to get a good grip and just rip the compartment door open.
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
dirtydan57 wrote:
Thanks for the comments. However, I need to know how many to order for the storage compartment that has 2 latches. Should I get one and leave one unlocked or buy 2 - one for each side. Thanks.

I do not know what people do. I would need five to do outside slam lock replacement, and that is not going to happen.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

McIntraveler
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Grand Design 317RST

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ordered mine at midnight with the BLACKFRIDAY40 coupon. 40% off made is a no brainer. At noon Mountain time the discount goes to 30% for 12 hours. Sat-Mon 25% off.

Heartland forum gives in a pretty good score and people say the companies CS is excellent.

DW will not leave the key hanging in the door as often with this.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the keyless system earlier this year and love it, The system that we have does come with 2 regular keys just in case you forget the combination, or the battery dies. (they last about 6 months). As far as the compartments go we have the round type, for got the brand but have set them up on the same combination. You only need ONE for each compartment. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Rbertalotto wrote:
I replaced my door lock with their keyless lock...Love it! Go to the beach and don't need keys!

Just about every lock in my house is now keyless. I hate carrying around a bunch of keys. Look like the night janitor!

my house has 4 outside doors, 8 locks, all keyed the same. One key, no janitor here.
bumpy

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my door lock with their keyless lock...Love it! Go to the beach and don't need keys!

Just about every lock in my house is now keyless. I hate carrying around a bunch of keys. Look like the night janitor!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
dirtydan57 wrote:
Hi all. I'm thinking about buying a keyless entry system for our '16 Grand Design 317RST from RV Lock and have a couple of questions. The curb side storage compartment has 2 latches. Should I buy one or two keyless latches for that side? Also, any problems with 'RV Locks' brand I should know about?.

While I understand the attraction to keyless entry systems, my experience with setting up the Heartland system was not successful even after i called customer service. Then I became concerned about the reliability of the system after I locked up the trailer, assuming I could have set up the system. I'll just stick with the traditional "key".

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
They have a black Friday sale going.