cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Landing Gear intermittant

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
The Landing Gear Jacks became intermittent when trying to raise the RV to decouple on our 2010 Durango 5th wheel that we’ve had 2 yrs. It would go down fine but when trying to extend, they did not try to raise the RV at all. It seemed that when I played with the switch they would extend.
So we made it back home & it seems to be working fine again. (of course) With the truck out of the way I can watch the power to the motor & it is a good, steady 12 Volts, but it’s working fine now too.
We have 1 motor on our system. I’ve honestly never paid any attention to it. I found I can raise the back of the motor itself about ½”.
Is that normal? Everything external is tight. I’d have to pull the landing gear cap off the top to look for something to tighten. Would have to tighten whatever by feel because there’s so little room.
Still nervous. Bad switch, motor???? Ideas?
3 REPLIES 3

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Both suggestion are ones to check out.

Switch (and motor connections).....loose/bad terminals
Also check the wire connection at battery

In-Line DC circuit Breaker do causes issues but you should replace with one that is properly rated for the motor and wiring otherwise might as well just hard wire.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
There is a self-resetting circuit breaker in the 12V power to the jack motor. They get tired over time and overheat. That stops everything until it cools down (10-20 seconds). Replace the CB with one you can get from NAPA or Amazon, or??? Most likely you have a 30 or 40 amp CB. It is usually fine to replace one with a 50-80 amp one.
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say your switch is going out, I got one off Amazon for around $14. The loose motor is not uncommon, if your gear box is plastic you can change it out with a aluminum one that will help.When I popped the top off the legs there was not much grease on them would not hurt to check and lube.