would be good. Thanks

Steve:h
CanAmKid
12 REPLIES 12

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. When i took the one cap off there was no id on the
inside. I'm the 2nd owner. Venture repair kit is what I'll do.
As far as the paint stick I did that also but when it wore off I didn't
get around to re doing it (lazy).
CanAmKid

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Never said you must have a up limit switch and while a paint mark will work. It does force you to bend over to see maybe even get down on your knees to see. While a limit switch becomes automatic and any one in the family can run the gear up with no fear of breaking things. JMHO so use what works for you

Was actually agreeing with you don, but having seen limit switches get moved, become loose or just fail, though not a sophisticated switch, I just opted for a paint mark....But you are correct..though I just bend over and look, don't have to get on my knees...for now:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Never said you must have a up limit switch and while a paint mark will work. It does force you to bend over to see maybe even get down on your knees to see. While a limit switch becomes automatic and any one in the family can run the gear up with no fear of breaking things. JMHO so use what works for you

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Quint Da Man wrote:
1st few years I had my 5th wheel I was running them to the top also and I ended up sharing pins twice. Since I can see my landing gear when retracting a simple no cost fix for me was to bring them up about 2" from the top and with a permenant marker drew a line around the leg. I now have a safe place to stop and not worry about jamming.

Correct procedure, I've done the same thing. Your 5er, a 2007 33' Lakota by Mickenzie.,is made by the same company that manufactured the HR in my sig, Monaco. All models are identical except one say's Mckinsie and a Lakota model number, the others say Holiday Rambler and name as mine, Presidential Suite, 37RLQ... My 5er has dual controls for each front leg, the leg's are manufactured by Venture Mfg...and very good to deal with. IF you only have one control tow lower both legs, you only need one "drive leg"(geared for motor), if two controls, then both legs are identical. I had one of my landing gear legs go out on my 06'..took the cap off the top of the leg and it gave a part number...called Venture, gave them the information and I ordered two new legs at a very reasonable price and the again, Venture was very very good to work with. Sent me information and shipped to me in no time...and really no big deal to change out the entire leg, which I would highly recommend..

Don't really need a limit switch which may or may not work, as stated, make a mark on the leg with paint marker as to how low and how high you'll move the landing gear to and there will be no issues.

Pretty sure your's is by Venture Manufacturing...and as stated, you should have a cap that you can "pop" off the top of the leg, and underneath is information you need. I opted to go with brand new leg as "repair kit" didn't seem to be what I wanted to do at the time.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Quint Da Man wrote:
1st few years I had my 5th wheel I was running them to the top also and I ended up sharing pins twice. Since I can see my landing gear when retracting a simple no cost fix for me was to bring them up about 2" from the top and with a permenant marker drew a line around the leg. I now have a safe place to stop and not worry about jamming.

Correct procedure, I've done the same thing.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, the safest thing to do once they are fixed is a paint pen and make a cross hatch mark all around the landing gear leg to remind you or anybody else using them to not over retract.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Quint_Da_Man
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Thor Quantum WS31
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk
Blue Ox Ascent Tow Bar BX4370
Blue Ox Patriot II Brake BRK2016

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking about a limit switches also. Talked to my dealer and he
has rebuild kits for them 47.00 each

Steve
CanAmKid

George_H
Explorer
Explorer
My Ultra Fab jacks have the model etc. etched in the case. However, Carriage managed to fill the etch with paint. Very light touch to find area then trace gave me something readable.
George, Juanita and Mandie (boss Shar-Pei)
01 F350, PSD, DRW
05 Carri-Lite 32RS3

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I posted a few years ago my fix for that. Limit switch and heavy duty reversing relay eliminates that possability. The cap I mentioned is the top cap on each leg. Venture places the information there.

CANAMKID
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don I think you are right. The drivers side did not have any #son the
back side but I'll check the other side when I get home today. And yes it is
Some times hard to try not to jam it when going up. But I try.

Steve
CanAmKid

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Take the top cap off flip it over and look. If they are Venture mfg landing gear there will be part and serial numbers there. They are probably failing because of too many times being jambed in the up position