cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Landing gear squeak

a1albert
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a pull trailer to a new fifth wheel last September. We have not camp with it yet but have had it back to the dealer for warranty work and add-ons. Today I went out and was doing things in the fifth wheel and noticed an annoying squeak as I moved around the fifth wheel. I traced the squeak down to the landing gear but could not figure out why it is squeaking or why it just started. What can I do to get rid of this? I noticed a zert fittings on each side, do you think maybe they need greased or what? What kind of grease do they use on the landing gear? Help please as I can take my time and figure it out but it is driving my wife crazy and that drives me crazy.

Thank You
Albert
06 Chev
2013 Cougar High Country 299RKSHC
Elite 18k hitch, Sidewinder pinbox
7 REPLIES 7

invstr55
Explorer
Explorer
Most likely it is the bar that goes between the two landing gear moving back and forth. The fast cure is to lube it with spray lube.
We chose to add braces to our landing gear to eliminate the movement and therefore the noise.

Happy camping

Dan & Janice
2015 DRV Fullhouse
2015 Breakout
2015 Spyder Limited
2015 F350hd Dually

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Could be the trailer telling you to "hurry up and pack me,I want to go camping." :B

Kind of like when we sit in one spot too long and our bones creak when we try to move.
Keep us updated.
2011 Toyota Tundra DC Long Bed
2001 Harley Dyna Lowrider

a1albert
Explorer
Explorer
This fifth wheel had been setting in our driveway for a month and not moved. We have been loading the past week getting ready for a trip when the squeak just started. I think I can put some grease in the zerts tomorrow and spray some lube on the landing gears and see if that takes care of it.
Thanks Guys

Albert
06 Chev

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, ours squeak now and then but not always. It changes from place to place and I think that it's more chance than anything. Having the rear stabilizers down helps a little. . . sometimes.

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't sound like your over extended. Being a newer camper it might just need to get the squeaks out.Don't forget the trailer is on tires and springs,any movement there is multiplied by the time it gets to the front jacks.
I missed the question on the grease,I use whatever is in the grease gun at the time,usually a good quality high temp grease.
You could try to tighten the rear jacks,and extend the front jacks a little.

a1albert
Explorer
Explorer
I have the legs extended about 6 inches and the rest is the leg extensions.
06 Chev

jetboater454
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the actual legs extended down far it will make some squeaking noise.Did you extend the leg extensions? Also if you grease the zerk fitting,make sure the legs are up,or you will have a lot of grease with no where to go when you raise the legs. You can also spray the sliding legs with WD-40 or whatever,just use a little to avoid dirt sticking to them.

Also do not run the power legs up all the way until they stop,it will trash the gear in the motor.Most come from the factory with a paint mark on the legs from when they spray them. People seem to get scared if their landing gear is 6" down from the trailer,guess they think it will hit the road on a bump or something.

One other thing when you have it hooked up to the truck is to see how far the sliding leg extends before it falls out. I rarely slide mine out more than 8 holes.