cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I90 East to I87 NY.

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
I will be heading up interstate 87 north of Albany, NY coming from East Bound I90. Has anyone did this route? Did you cut over through the small towns or go over to Albany and go up 87? If so, what are you pulling? I am pulling a 40' 5th Wheel.
15 REPLIES 15

David_and_Chris
Explorer
Explorer
Twin Bridge deck work has been completed and lanes will be open by this weekend.
David

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
According to the paper this morning, construction on the twin bridges finished last night. Some temporary lane closures to be used to remove the temporary crossovers.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Twin Bridge construction to end or be completed by Mem day w/e. Work on the bridges is being done on w/e and traffic in both directions reduced and crosses over median for a short stretch. Otherwise, unless there is an accident or some pop up construction, should be smooth sailing. From exit 28 (Fonda) or exit 27 (Amsterdam), it takes approx 45 min to 1 hour to get to exit 10 off the northway (I-87) doing 65mph staying on I-90 to Albany and exiting at exit 24 (87/northway).
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
ccmret wrote:
empty_nest wrote:
When I travel that way, mostly to Lake Champlain and Lake George, I run I90 to Utica, then take Rt.8, north, all the way to I87. It's a beautiful drive through the Adirondacks. Basically, a good 2-lane road, a little curvy at the beginning and the end but otherwise just a beautiful drive. Of course, I'm pulling a 20' bass boat. Never had the opportunity to pull the 5'r there, but wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Route 8 is Speculator Pass. I would be worried about trying to navigate the 40' trailer in some of those small gas stations. It is a beautiful route.

Sounds like you've been up that way. You're right about the gas stations..... not many of them, either. I make sure to load up in Utica, then I'm good for the entire stretch.

If you do get up that way, you have to stop at the Mountain Market in Speculator.... their subs are to die for. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
CCMRET, you missed the West Ave. turn and went through the downtown, heart of Saratoga. Tractor Trailers do it but going around West Ave is a lot easier.

It's a bit over 30 miles from I90 to exit 15 I87. There is a Hess with diesel just past the exit with a rear exit around the block back to rt 50. It is a bit tight though. There's also a truck stop at exit 16 but at exit 17 north about a mile there's a Sunoco with diesel with very good access plus the best price.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
empty_nest wrote:
When I travel that way, mostly to Lake Champlain and Lake George, I run I90 to Utica, then take Rt.8, north, all the way to I87. It's a beautiful drive through the Adirondacks. Basically, a good 2-lane road, a little curvy at the beginning and the end but otherwise just a beautiful drive. Of course, I'm pulling a 20' bass boat. Never had the opportunity to pull the 5'r there, but wouldn't hesitate to try it.

Route 8 is Speculator Pass. I would be worried about trying to navigate the 40' trailer in some of those small gas stations. It is a beautiful route.

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
Construction southbound, which is what held me up yesterday was finished today. No back up at all.
'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

gcloss
Explorer
Explorer
Fire Instructor wrote:
Bill nailed it. If you are comfortable off the Interstates, it will save you some time and miles..... PLUS, you didn't say when you will be traveling, but the Thaddeus Kosciuszko Bridge โ€” commonly known as the Twin Bridges, is being worked on, so there are traffic back-ups. The alternate route will bypass this bridge.

http://www.news10.com/story/21806388/northway-twin-bridges-construction-to-begin-again

This link says the work will continue until Memorial Day. Does anyone know if the construction is on schedule and will be finished by Memorial Day? We are heading to Lake George in July. Hoping the construction will be done by then.
2012 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 8' box
5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 4.10
2015 Jayco Eagle 284BHBE

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
Bill1374 wrote:
You can do either, the route all the way to Albany being longer.

If you want to short cut, get off I90 at the Fonda exit and follow rt 30A to rt 29.East on 29 to Saratoga Springs. As you enter Saratoga, turn left on West Ave ( D'Andreas liquor store on the left) and go to the T intersection. Turn right and go past the hospital. At the next light, bear left (Van Dam St) continue straight onto the arterial ( rt 50) After you pass a lake on your left, you want the left lane for the entrance to 87 north about 3/4 mile ahead..

It sounds complicated but is an easy route to follow and avoids a nasty turn from a narrow street through the business district. It does save quite a bit of time and a lot of miles.

Bill

Hi Bill, How many miles is it from the I90 exit to the I87 entrance and are there any good truck stops for fuel if needed along this path?

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
spindrift wrote:
I hit the twin bridges today northbound...what a mess.

How long of a wait did you have? Was there any width/height or turning restrictions?

ccmret
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Gents,
I will be traveling through there on June 9th. That is the route I commonly take when I am not towing. I pulled a 32 TT through there last year but mist a turn or two and ended up going by through a downtown area and a bunch of bars. That may have been near Saratoga Springs though.

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
I hit the twin bridges today northbound...what a mess.
'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Bill nailed it. If you are comfortable off the Interstates, it will save you some time and miles..... PLUS, you didn't say when you will be traveling, but the Thaddeus Kosciuszko Bridge โ€” commonly known as the Twin Bridges, is being worked on, so there are traffic back-ups. The alternate route will bypass this bridge.

http://www.news10.com/story/21806388/northway-twin-bridges-construction-to-begin-again
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB