cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License class requirement in California

PappyRichard
Explorer
Explorer
I just discovered a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS A license (similar in class to a semi-truck driver license) is required in California to legally pull a 5th Wheel trlr with a 15,000lb GVWR rating or higher. To obtain such, one must first get a "permit" that requires being accompanied by a Class A licensed driver to pull the rig anywhere, including having to now make a 2 hour trip from my home to the DMV office in El Centro to take a required "skills" test before a license can be issued. I don't know anyone who is willing to travel with me while pulling my rig, not even to the required "skills" testing facility 100 miles from home. What is a person expected to do with this catch-22 situation? Should I be stopped for any vehicle infraction right now, having only the "permit" with no Class A licensed person with me, results in an expensive citation and my rig subject to tow and store since I'm not legally licensed to pull it.
25 REPLIES 25

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
srx-6 wrote:
Double or triple towing:
The only drivers allowed to do so in California, require a Class A Commercial license. I think it has to a California license.

Can be a Class A CDL(Commercial Drivers License) from any state as long as you have the T endorsement

Thanks.

To the OP. Do the right thing. You don't want to be on the wrong end of that ticket/fine. LEO like to hang out at popular OHV areas during the holidays. Possibly sign up for a Commercial Class A truckers class. They normally take care of everything for you with the DMV including helping you take the tests and supply the tractor-trailer. Might have the DW go this direction just because she doesn't take direction very well from me.

The biggest difference between the Class A commercial and noncommercial is the requirement for physicians health update every 2 years - noncommercial is just you saying you are healthy every 2 years. The skills test is slight different, but if you can pass the commercial skills then you could pass the non-commercial skills test.

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
Is it really worth the price if you are caught.
Big Bird 2

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
My friend drove the rig and I drove his car. He parked it outside and left. He had to go to work. 😄
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
discovery4us wrote:
Just my opinion but the chances of being stopped are pretty slim so I would head over to El Centro and take the test. If you were to get stopped at least having the permit shows the officer that you have the intent to do the right thing. Most CHP officers are not going to be aware of the laws pertaining to a non commercial class A. I haven't followed the rules in a few years but it used to be any triple axle trailer or trailer 10,001 lbs. or over you needed a non commercial class A. Another unenforced law was that any operator of a FW recreational trailer was required to submit a DMV medical questioner to be legal. It is unfortunate that in CA you have to jump through hoops to be legal doing something that you probable having been doing for years with no issues so kudos to you for getting your non commercial class A.

Bad advise, one of the things the DMV examiner will ask is who is your fully licensed companion. If you show up without a licensed driver with you, you could be cited and not allowed to pull your rig out of there.

Steve
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
LLeopold wrote:
Ummm. Some clarification is in order from the post in Beginning RVing.

Assertion #2: To legally pull a travel trailer (bumper tow)with 10K GVWR, you must have a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS A license.

Clarification #2: One may pull a travel trailer that is 10K GVWR or less with a Class C licence. Over 10K does, indeed, require a non-commercial Class A license.

This is what I got from the CA DMV website.

With a class C license one may tow a single vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 lbs or less

and: If the towing vehicle weighs 4000 lbs or more you may tow a trailer coach not exceeding 9,000 lbs gross.

So I think I am OK with a Suburban that weighs about 7K lbs and a trailer that weighs in at 8500 lbs with a GVWR of 10400.

All very confusing.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
LLeopold wrote:
Ummm. Some clarification is in order from the post in Beginning RVing.

All from the CA DMV Recreational Vehicles and Trailers Handbook where one may download a copy from: https://apps.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf and from the CA DMV license chart available at: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/cdl_htm/lic_chart.htm#classc

Assertion #1: If you are a California resident, to legally pull a 5th wheel with 15K GVWR in California, you must have a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS A license.

Clarification #1: You may pull a 5th wheel that is 10K GVWR or less with a Class C license. You may pull a 5th wheel between 10K and 15K GVWR with a Class C license with a "Restriction 42" endorsement (I have this particular endorsement and it is not well-known at the DMV). Over 15K requires the non-commercial Class A license.

Assertion #2: To legally pull a travel trailer (bumper tow)with 10K GVWR, you must have a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS A license.

Clarification #2: One may pull a travel trailer that is 10K GVWR or less with a Class C licence. Over 10K does, indeed, require a non-commercial Class A license.

Assertion #3: To legally drive a Motor Home that is 40 ft or greater, you must have a NON-COMMERCIAL CLASS B license.

Clarification #3: One may drive a motor home that is less than 40 ft. with a Class C license. Over 40 ft. does, indeed, require a non-commercial Class B license (a non-commercial Class A is also permitted).

If we're going to cite items, let's try to be as complete as possible and include citations to official sources.

As to visitors, the state recognizes other states' licensing to a degree. Double or triple towing (5th wheel towing a boat, for example) gets a bit dicey.

Hope this helps with full clarification.

The Mod has it right - except he shouldn't call them assertions - the requirements he cites are *FACTS* !

However, the assertion that the CHP doesn't check is partly correct and partly incorrect.
Does the CHP (or other LEO's) go out of their way to pull over drivers towing 5th wheels (or other RVs) to check for a correct DL? NO.

Would the CHP (or other LEO's) check for the appropriate DL *if* he/she pulled you over for some infraction?
Yes / Maybe/ possibly. (take your pick)

Tow a CA licensed toad behind a MT licensed MH - and chances are you will have a "chat" with the CHP - and produce your ? DL.
(Yes, that's a fact also - and a whole 'nother story)

Could you be sued if you were in an accident, without the proper DL for what you are driving/towing?
Emphatic - *YES* !
Any attorney worth his salt will thoroughly explore ALL / EVERY avenue/s to insure a successful outcome (and put $ in his/her pockets).

Regarding the last - I was required to give a deposition regarding an accident that had occurred two years previously.
The driver (who was at fault) was suing the *estate* of the other driver for compensation.
(The other driver had died - due to causes *completely unrelated* to the accident).

Back to licensing - the Class A NON-commercial DL is becoming a "standard" requirement in many states, not just CA.

IMO - can't see any reason a "driver" towing/driving something well above a car/pickup shouldn't be tested for his/her abilities to do same in a safe manner - just like a commercial driver.

BTW - "KCFD" has incorrect info. He is not required to have a "commercial" DL (CDL) for his RVs - or driving Fire Apparatus.
(In CA, drivers of Fire Apparatus has it's own driver's license designation).

Roll on!..:)

~

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
It can't hurt. On the other hand, I see drivers who took the driving test and scare the living hell out of me.
Big Bird 2

srx-6
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
joegray wrote:
In British Columbia if you want to tow a RV over 10,000lbs you need to do a written exam, eye test, and a road test. The way some people drive,,, I don't really have a problem with this. Happy travels everyone.

Really think a test will change someones driving habits?

Failing one might.
JB & MB
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
2008 Jeep Wrangler

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
joegray wrote:
In British Columbia if you want to tow a RV over 10,000lbs you need to do a written exam, eye test, and a road test. The way some people drive,,, I don't really have a problem with this. Happy travels everyone.

Really think a test will change someones driving habits?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

joegray
Explorer II
Explorer II

Shepherd
Explorer
Explorer
Only in Cali, I guess all states are different.
2018 Ram 3500 CC aisin/4.10
2014 Rushmore Monticello

knshook
Explorer
Explorer
For those in Ca. who are towing a 5er, and may be interested, we have learned first hand from DMV what is required-because we just purchased our first 5er that is heavier than 10,000 but less than 15,000. The drivers manual was confusing because it initially states that with a Class C you are allowed to tow a fifth wheel that is more than 10,000 but no more than 15,000. That sounds pretty straight forward but,like most things in CA, it's never that easy. If you read down a few pages in manual there is this stipulation: you may tow with a Class C license but you also must have a "Recreational Trailer Endorsement." To get this "endorsement" the person towing the vehicle must take two tests. The first is the standard test that is required of anyone who is getting a class C license. The only time this isn't required is if the person towing the vehicle took the class C test within the last year. The second test that is required is the Recreational Vehicle and Non commercial Class A Trailer Law Test. A vision test is also required. There is no requirement for driving test and no medical requirement. Like another poster shared: to not have this endorsement could cause real problems with insurance if driver and vehicle were ever in accident.

big_bird_2
Explorer
Explorer
I am in CA. You need an endorsement on your class C license. I took the test, got the endorsement last June. It is a written test and eye test. No driving test. You need a class A if you drive for hire. DMV people are not very bright. I had to show a clerk the regulations. She could not read and referred to pictures on the right side of the DMV reference guide. She told me I had to get a Class A from a CA DMV commercial center. I left the office shaking my head and made an appointment with a supervisor in the same office who knew what I was talking about. He knew who the women was that helped me! Scary.
CHP told me they do not ask drivers for the endorsement when they pull them over. But, they did say that if you are in an accident and do not have the endorsement you could find yourself ticketed and uninsured.
Study the sample tests on the web. The test is not hard, but it takes some thought. 150 questions.
Big Bird 2

PappyRichard
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all the responses on my situation...my statements still stands as the requirements are per California vehicle code. The issue with DMV is the problem in not having a Class A licensed person accompany me to the skills testing...that is an immediate "fail" on their skill test...this is a direct quote from DMV officials. I'm retired law enforcement and was not aware of the licensing requirements nor are many of my fellow former work partners still actively employed...an obscure requirement but none-the-less a requirement. Hope no one gets caught in the license class ignorance trap because their rig was over the limits for whatever size you pull/drive. Safe travels to all.