cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lite weight 5th wheel

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
Looking into a lite weight fifth wheel to tow behind a Nissan Titan with Cummings 5.0 deisel. 12000 towing capacity and 1700 pound max hitch weight. Looking for top of the line lite weight manufacture.
33 REPLIES 33

Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can find a KZ Durango D277RLT without the front linen closet it has a dry hitch weight of 1100lbs
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
I am open to a travel trailer. I prefer towing a fifth wheel. But may go with a TT.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I would take a Grand Design over a Cougar any day. Look away from the pin weight specs for a moment and take a look at build quality. Go look at the back wall of a Cougar and look at the back wall of a Reflection.
JMO but if you're not constrained by length then a travel trailer will get you more bang for your buck than a 5th wheel. Especially when you're pin weight challenged. Why settle for a smaller 5th wheel just to have a 5th wheel if you can tow a longer more roomier TT and not be concerned about where you park it?
Is there a reason you're concentrating on 5th wheels?
Also buy switching to travel trailers you open yourself up to way more options. Every MFG has way more TT's than light weight 5th wheel models.

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
The Grand Design will also work.
Thats three .

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the Cougar half tons. Very nice coach . They have a 29 res or rls with a 1300 pound hitch weight. That would actually work. Two found so far. The other was a Rockwood Signature Ultralight with hitch weight of 1230.. Thanks for the tip on the Cougar.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Mjfandal wrote:
...how we got to a only discussion on tow ratings. I found a rockwood with a dry hitch weight of about 1250. How is the quality of the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lights. Are there any better in quality ? Rate a few of the lite series fifth wheels .

Because that's how we roll here on the rec.

Asking about quality brands is all subjective. But weights and towing capacities are fact based, even if we interpret the facts in slightly different ways.

Also, you cannot entirely separate quality from weight. Quality weighs more.

I like my Cougar just fine, but others here would never even consider a Keystone product. Like I said, all subjective.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
The origional question was about quality lite fifth wheels. Not sure how we got to a only discussion on tow ratings. I found a rockwood with a dry hitch weight of about 1250. How is the quality of the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lights. Are there any better in quality ? Rate a few of the lite series fifth wheels .

JohnyWalter
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for fast respond!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are SOME 1/2 tons that are capable, but not all, so they can say 1/2 ton tow able. It is the rear axle rating that is most important on a 3/4 ton, rather than the payload. Even with your family, and lower payload, your 2500 should have plenty of room for 1500-2000 lbs pin wt.

Jerry

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
With exactly ZERO information about the style of fifth wheel you're looking for (rear living, bunkhouse, etc), how can anyone answer this question??

We can't.....which leads to all the different opinions/speculations especially when a 1/2 ton truck is mentioned. Some folks are flat clueless of what this truck is capable of in terms of payload. No its certainly not a 3/4 ton truck with a full floater 6000-6500 RAWR.

The Titan gas or diesel will have about the same in the bed payload as both have the same 4900 RAWR to work with and both rear axles will scale about the same just like the bigger gazz/diesel trucks.

To be on the safe side just stay under the trucks 4900 RAWR (axle/brakes/tires/wheels and rear spring pack ratings).
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

JohnyWalter
Explorer
Explorer
Have a question!
How are dealerships getting away with advertising these as 1/2 ton towable for wheels?? The few I've looked at have a hitch weight that range from 1300-1700lbs. I have a ram 2500 gaser and I really liked a Laredo but can't justify it with my 2300lb payload. It has a hitch weight of 1500lbs, with my family of 4 I'm looking at almost 2100lbs before any cargo. Salesman said "oh yeah, people pull these with 1500s"

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
With the heavy Cummins in the titan I wonder how much weight most are putting on the rear axle? They might end up right at the GVWR but with rear axle capacity leftover like most of the 3/4 tons do even if the GAWR out back is only around 4800lbs iirc. Tons of half tons out here pulling HT/1500 labelled fifth wheels, and in speaking with the owners they are more than happy with the towing performance... may be only because they havenโ€™t towed with a 3/4 or 1ton yet.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_sug_Vt-JyDZGlDal83aXBleElSdGp0aVlCTjBKN3JmbTlj/view?usp=drivesdk

Mjfandal
Explorer
Explorer
Cummings, Sorry it was a typo. I am very familiar with alot of engines, not many this small !!! I probably have a little more experience with machinery than most..