cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking B&W Companion Ford OEM

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
So I got the hitch in yesterday and it amazing how easy it is to put in or take out of the truck. I went to replace the pins with locks to secure it from theft and the hole is too small for any lock I had with a long enough shank. I don't want a lock that is easy to cut.

I have a lock set to lock my bumper hitch receiver and a ball hitch and the ball hitch lock is too big. It is designed where a thief can't access the shaft.

Anyone out there have this hitch and have a recomendation for a specialty lock?
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)
21 REPLIES 21

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
maskins wrote:
I haven't had my fifth wheel hitch stolen, but I had the hog head from Reese weight distribution hitch stolen.

NO way!!! People don't steel RV hitches.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

maskins
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't had my fifth wheel hitch stolen, but I had the hog head from Reese weight distribution hitch stolen.
Chevy Duramax
Wildcat 327RE

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
So to go with the insurance question, they will ask if it was locked. I had my truck vandalized once. Busted glass the busted dashboard with sledge to steal the stereo for $50 at a pawn shop. I still lock my truck and bet you do too.
F-250 6.2 Gasser

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the thief comes and looks inside Cummins' truck box and sees a nice B&W sitting there all locked up he might decide to leave it and take a look at my B&W. When he sees the keys to my truck laying on the counsel he might decide the hitch that comes with a free truck is a much better deal.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Why is it EVERY time hitch or latching handle locks are mentioned people go crazy about it???"

Mainly because they're looked at as needless expenses. IMO 5th wheel hitches don't seem to be spur-of-the-moment thefts. Thieves who target 5th wheels, and there might actually be one, would come prepared with at least a bolt cutter. None of your locks or locking points would stand up to a 3' bolt cutter. So it kind of begs the question: "Why bother?".

But if you feel better about that's all that's really necessary. Most locks just keep the honest guy honest.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Don't you guys have INSURANCE??????? "

Sure I do, but it sure aint $0 deductible. Also the inconvenience of having someone take the head portion of my hitch. YES it does and has happened.

Why is it EVERY time hitch or latching handle locks are mentioned people go crazy about it???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

jsum
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
jkwilson wrote:
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I don't want a lock that is easy to cut.

No such thing!

You can open most locks faster with one of these than with the key. :E

A CO2 fire extingusher is much quieter that a whizzy wheel and does the same deed. You freeze the shackle and a light tap with a hammer, shatters it.

X2 exactly what I was going to say.........

Don't you guys have INSURANCE???????

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Myself, I'd say you stand a better chance of someone cutting off your catalytic converter than lifting a hitch. Even the thought seems paranoid to me.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many times it's easier to cut the parts that the hardened-hard-to-cut padlock attaches to rather than the padlock. Kind of like the $100 lock and $5 hasp. I won't worry about since I don't think 5th wheel hitches are high on the easy to fence list. "Hey buddy want to buy a hot 5th wheel hitch?" "A what?"
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, to answer a couple questions, on not easy to cut, I have a lock that you can't get to the shank. Sure you can cut anything but it's really about how quickly you can do it. It's a tight space between the wheel wells so not that easy to access. I know it's just making it hard enough to not be able to be quick in a public spot.

On the 150 lbs, the beauty of the Companion for Ford OEM is that each piece is less than $80 and disassembles by pulling a couple pins. I can take it out of the truck in two minutes.

Unfortunately I have a fiberglass bed cover on hinges which is a pain to take on and off. I really miss my flipback from a prior shortbed truck. I'll go that route eventually but it's not on the budget right now after adding the puck system and a Companion. I can easily stow a flipback and put it back on the truck when at a campground.
F-250 6.2 Gasser

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jkwilson wrote:
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I don't want a lock that is easy to cut.

No such thing!

You can open most locks faster with one of these than with the key. :E

A CO2 fire extingusher is much quieter that a whizzy wheel and does the same deed. You freeze the shackle and a light tap with a hammer, shatters it.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
I thought you Canadians are all about peace and love "EH"

Some people LOVE to help themselves to what you have worked for, it’s easier than getting a job.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Theft is becoming a huge problem around here but so far I haven't started locking things. Having stuff locked up is probably a bigger pain for me than it would be for the thief. If we could all plant a mine field around our property ..... that might rid the world of a few thieves.

he he

I thought you Canadians are all about peace and love "EH" ? :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I only have 5 locks on mine. I drilled out the pins that hold the head on so I could use the small Masterlocks shown they are keyed alike. The 3 larger locks are also keyed alike, the locking handle for the latching system did not need to be drilled out but the two on opposing corners I had to drill out the base latching handles for the larger locks to fit.

The pins that hold the head on should be bent at a 90 to keep them from being able to be pulled thru the holes in the head.