cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locking B&W Companion Ford OEM

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
So I got the hitch in yesterday and it amazing how easy it is to put in or take out of the truck. I went to replace the pins with locks to secure it from theft and the hole is too small for any lock I had with a long enough shank. I don't want a lock that is easy to cut.

I have a lock set to lock my bumper hitch receiver and a ball hitch and the ball hitch lock is too big. It is designed where a thief can't access the shaft.

Anyone out there have this hitch and have a recomendation for a specialty lock?
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)
21 REPLIES 21

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
My B&W Companion has been in the bed of my truck for 8 years with no lock. I just don't see any need to lock it.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
A lock through the jaw release handle pin hole will deter a prankster/idiot. Otherwise when not in use, out of sight, using bed cover, is probably best option to deter opportunist thieves.

Best to just enjoy that solid, but easy in/out hitch, and just not worry about it.

Jerry

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Theft is becoming a huge problem around here but so far I haven't started locking things. Having stuff locked up is probably a bigger pain for me than it would be for the thief. If we could all plant a mine field around our property ..... that might rid the world of a few thieves.

he he
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Curious.

Has any heard of a 200lb 5th wheel hitch stolen?

Honest question. No sarcasm.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
OutdoorPhotographer wrote:
I don't want a lock that is easy to cut.

No such thing!

You can open most locks faster with one of these than with the key. :E

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I ran a locking cable through the front bed tie down under the hitch base and around and over the front pivot bolt on the head. Keeps everything locked down. I know when I had my Ford the tie downs were bolted in, on the Ram they are not bolted in.

Also, my hitch is under a tri-fold cover when not towing, so you can't see it.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I think Cummins has this hitch and pics of it w/ locks. Am sure he'll chime in. I don't have the Companion, but the Patriot. LOVE IT !!!!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"