cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

looking at trucks

dennyida
Explorer
Explorer
Good morning, I know I`m going to open a can of worms here but here it goes. We have a 2015 Keystone Outback 296FRS that we really love and next spring we will be looking to buy a new truck to tow with. This will be our last new truck so I will want every bell and whistle on it. The weight on the 5ER is 9600 lbs. I`m thinking about a diesel and would like the option of the engine brake or something like that. I don`t care if it be a dodge , ford , GMC . I currently have a dodge ram that is 10 years old and still love it. Also some thoughts on the dual tires, I would like to stay away from that but I have been told it`s much safer . We will be traveling down south next spring and then out west next summer. Again I now this is quite a large and wide open subject but I would like to see what others are using . Thank you, Denny and Ida
67 REPLIES 67

alboy
Explorer
Explorer
The new SRW 350/3500 Diesel series IN any flavour will easily handle a 15/15500 GVWR fiver so easily that you will be shocked, I Was.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
edbehnke wrote:
my only input is do not go with duallys.

From someone with one of the heavier Montanas that should have a 350/3500 SRW at minimum and probably a Dually at best.

Exactly what I was thinking.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
edbehnke wrote:

What is your reason?

In my world:

- Daily driver that I have in tight parking lots and garages, DRW would be a big hassle.

- I regularly travel on "roads" where a DRW wouldn't work while camping and hunting. Too wide for some tight roads and not as good in certain conditions such as deep snow.

- SRW is better in snow/ice on pavement, which I encounter a lot on family trips during the holidays and ski trips.

- A trailer big enough to require DRW is too big to get into a lot of the places I like to camp. I don't go camping so I can have neighbors in a campground.

Completely understand! If your personal TV is a SRW then a person should stay within it's limits.

I had a personal limit of the Avion Platinum I had that was 32.5' and combined weight of 20,500# with my 98 RAM 2500 4X4. Once we started talking larger RV's I told the wife we need a new truck and it will be a Dually.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
edbehnke wrote:

What is your reason?

In my world:

- Daily driver that I have in tight parking lots and garages, DRW would be a big hassle.

- I regularly travel on "roads" where a DRW wouldn't work while camping and hunting. Too wide for some tight roads and not as good in certain conditions such as deep snow.

- SRW is better in snow/ice on pavement, which I encounter a lot on family trips during the holidays and ski trips.

- A trailer big enough to require DRW is too big to get into a lot of the places I like to camp. I don't go camping so I can have neighbors in a campground.

AMEN! 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
edbehnke wrote:

What is your reason?

In my world:

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
edbehnke wrote:

Strange position since I've towed 5th wheels exclusively with duallies since 1996. I wouldn't have anything else, especially towing our current 19,000 lb GVWR 5th wheel.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
edbehnke wrote:

From someone with one of the heavier Montanas that should have a 350/3500 SRW at minimum and probably a Dually at best.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
3500SRW is a nice fit for that 5th. I'm in a new-ish 2500 and am amazed at how fast I run out of weight. And mine's a gasser with a 3000# payload. Same truck with a diesel has about 800# less. So, starting from scratch there is no reason to push it. Just get the 3500 and be done with it.

As for dually vs SRW you don't need the dually but it would tow better. I'm pretty firmly in the anti-dually crowd just because of the parking, bank drive thru lanes and things like that. But, those who own them love them so it's really just a personal preference.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
edbehnke wrote:

What is your reason?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
I guess you have some questions to answer. If you ever plan on upgrading your 5th wheel, look at 350/3500 DRW, If not eith a 250/2500 or SRW 350/3500 will be a better choice. As for engine / exhaust brakes, you need to be looking at diesels, Ford, GM, and Dodge all offer the. Traveling out west in hills or mountians? You will want those. Good Luck!

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

debraindi
Explorer
Explorer
I pull with 2013 duramax LTZ, 4x4 Z71 3/4 ton . I looked at vehicle height and comfort. The Allison transmission is hard to beat.
2013 LML Duramax
2015 311 Keystone Impact
200q 24 partycraft 150 mercury
Time out motor cycle trailer
2009 Harley RG 575 cams thunder-max tuned
1970 350 JD crawler loader

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
For a 9xxx/10xxx trailer a 250/2500 Gas or diesel will work fine.
If you choose the diesel option your good up to the 12k-14k gross weight range before going over rear axle and OEM 17" E tire load ratings.

You sure don't need a one ton DRW to pull that size trailer. Now if your planing on towing a trailer above 15k-15.5k then the DRW may make more sense.

Engine brake ?? The Ford or GM or Ram diesel doesn't offer a engine brake.
I think you mean a exhaust brake.

All three use a VGT or VVT systems for exhaust braking power through the turbo now. Its OEM on all three and is a Great feature and no need for a conventional exhaust brake.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of these in a 3500SRW and Aisin will put you in the Luxury section with all the bells and whistles. If going over 13-14K you can't go wrong with exactly the one in the pic. The Factory rear air ride is awesome!

I pull 32,500# all over the West with no issues.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
MPI_Mallard wrote:
If your certain this is as big as your going to want then a SRW 2500 shorty will do the job,,,marginally

I have a little different take on it. If he's not planning on up-sizing later on, a 2500 would haul this trailer fine and it wouldn't be marginal at all. The only rating that would be even close is GVWR, but that number is meaningless because it's capped at 10k lbs for reasons other than the truck's capability.

Aside from the coils, a 2500 Ram is identical to a SRW 3500, so you're getting the same frame, axles, brakes, tires, etc. The RAWR on those trucks is 6500 and this trailer wouldn't get even close to that. The coils ride and handle a lot better than the leafs on the 3500s, so there is actually a tangible advantage to the 2500 on Ram trucks. Real world performance with this size trailer would be identical between a 2500 and SRW 3500.

If there's a possible up-sizing in the future, I'd agree that the 3500 may make more sense. OP said he was really happy with his current 2015 model, however.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB