cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low cargo carrying capacity rant

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Went to our local RV show last night in Grand Rapids and one that caught my eye was a new floor plan from Grand Design - 390 RK Solitude. This is one of those with the huge basement under the raised rear of the trailer with a large roll out tray that are becoming popular, massive amounts of storage between front and rear basements. Went on their website this morning for specs and based on the published dry weight(14,562) and GVWR (16,800) you barely have 2200# left over for cargo (some other models had less than 2K). By the time you add batteries/propane/solar if wanted/washer & dryer if wanted/water if you travel with it, etc, there is not much left. Short of carrying inflatable toys in the basements I'm not sure what you could do with so much storage. Kind of a shame they have such massive amounts of storage and not enough capacity. My 9,000# dry weight Wildcat has nearly #2900 CCC and according to the cat scale I have about #1700 of "stuff" in that little thing ready to travel and that's without water.

Maybe I'm missing something, rant over

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel
23 REPLIES 23

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
It is common to use axles (including springs/tires) that have just enough capacity to cover the GVWR. This includes using 20 percent of the wt on the truck rear axle. If manufacturers would just step up one more size/axle rating, including springs, tires/wheels, it would make much more CCC, and not add much to their actual cost.

Jerry

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Should've looked at the yellow sticker on the door. I bet it's lower than 2200 lbs.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
But after you load it to its top weight, you can show your neighbors how much extra storage space you have.
You cant use it,,,,, but you have it.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

We FT'd and I could open ANY compartment/cabinet/drawer and readily see/get anything I needed W/O a lot of hassle

LESS is MORE

You could here as well, open one door for the #2 Philips screwdriver, open another compartment door for the #2 square drive screwdriver, roll out the 8' tray for table cloth, etc. Thats all your going to have left.

Dan

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
Funny part is the units without the large rear storage have about 1,000# more CCC capacity :? I guess all that extra material needed to make the extra storage ate into it lol.

Dan

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Designed by those that never camped a day in their life! Just over a ton of cargo capacity is dumb.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Always good to check the numbers. Also published dry weights are usually less than delivered trailers with added options. This has been an issue with many 5th wheels we have looked at. Great to have all that storage but not a lot of cargo weight capacity especially for folks wanting to do extended traveling.

You might have a look at the Keystone Montana 3700 LK for a somewhat similar rear kitchen floorpan with 3200 pound CC. You can also add the Legacy package which will give this beast disc brakes.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Maybe GD is trying to start a new trend......LESS is MORE

Large storage but low CCC so when you put items in the compartments you can still see/reach them W/O having to remove/rearrange all the STUFF packed in there.

We FT'd and I could open ANY compartment/cabinet/drawer and readily see/get anything I needed W/O a lot of hassle

LESS is MORE
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's camping, not glamping. Leave the house at home.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB