cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LT tires

mamasmax
Explorer
Explorer
A question for you folks who have, or are going to, switch to LT tires on your fiver. Are there certain characteristics that make one tire more desirable than another or will any LT tire be fine? My fiver maxes out at 12,000 lbs. loaded so I don't need load range G tires. For that matter, does it even make sense to make that change and instead go with a top of the line trailer tire instead?
49 REPLIES 49

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
alexleblanc wrote:
. Don't let the fact that the KZ does not come with 16's stop you, it's an easy and fairly inexpensive upgrade to 16's.

What's stopping me on the KZ, more than anything, is simply trying to =find= one closer than about a thousand miles away so I can actually =sit= in one before I plunk down near-$40k on one. ONE KZ dealer here in AZ and they have no real desire to bring in =any= Durango 1500's. More into the TH market. Sure, they'll =order= one... ๐Ÿ˜•

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

The_Weekenders
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
ST tires are or were speed rated to 65MPH. LT tires are speed rated to 99 MPH. ST tires are not tested to the same standards as LT tires. ST tires have a short life span. ST tires have a long history of premature failures especially on heavy trailers. Muff said!

X2
Every meal is a feast, everyday is a parade and every paycheck is a fortune!
Spring is coming soon as well Minnesota Twins spring training๐Ÿ˜›
Rick & Sheila's RVing Album
Rick's Facebook
2004 Ford F350 6.0PSD
2008 Keystone Montana 3585SA

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:

Jayco, #1 or 2 on my short list depending on the day, is at least offering a 16"/Maxxis option on the Eagle HT line which, if I go with a Jayco, I =will= get. Mucho overkill, IMO, since they gross only 9950, but the 16" wheels will be on already, so my options would be wide open for the future. One of the "intangible" downsides to the KZ Durango 1500, which is my other choice. Whatever I do, I'll not have China bombs on when I leave the lot with my next FW...UNLESS it's to head right to Discount Tire for a swap. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
. Don't let the fact that the KZ does not come with 16's stop you, it's an easy and fairly inexpensive upgrade to 16's.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Starcraft_1
Explorer
Explorer
I have worked for Americas/Discount tire for 30 years here in Nor Cal and in Arizona. I have seen many failures on all kinds of tires. I will say that trailer tires get a ton of abuse from the stress when backing up the trailer and putting a bind on the tires, as well as the air maintenance, not checking the air pressure before hauling, and some of the problems is that the product is built in china where everyone knows the quality is typically not there, as well as age. I will say I have had 2 ski boats, 3 5ers and a travel trailer with no issues and have ran all brands of st tires. There are others I prefer over some. I also would change my tires every 4 years because of the abuse they receive. But, with this said, I do not have a problem with installing lt tires on a trailer. In my store I see many trailers, boats and rvs. Happy trailering.

Wood_chip
Explorer
Explorer
biofumes wrote:
Where does everyone get their LT tires mounted, here in Ca, not even mom pops stores will put LT tires on trailers out here, it's become a really strict place

I got a qoute from discount / americas tire. I brought up the subject and they didnt have an issue with it.
2017 Chevy HD 3500 Dually LTZ D/A combo crew cab / Bilstein 4600's / Ride Rite air bags w remote / 50 gal transfer flow Aux tank / Trailersaver BD5
2020 Arctic Fox 32-5m with most options + 17.5 wheel & tire combo

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
justme wrote:
I see a lot of discussion no tires and disk brake conversions. But what about dual tires like trailers use to have. Why not convert to dual tires, if one is paranoid about tire blow outs?

The frames would have to be designed differently to run dual wheels.

There are much cheaper solutions for 5200-6K axles in LT235/85R16E(3042) tires and for 7K axles LT235/85R16G(3750) tires. There is also 215/75R17.5H(4805) rated tire for really heavy rigs.

In my book anyone that tries to run a poly carcass tire on a heavy/tall 5th wheel is just asking for problems, if they are going to see America with their rig and tow for hours on end day after day.

If one is going to go to the lake 10 miles away, then have at it with cheap tires.

Of course this issue repeats it's self year after year. Some manufacturers start installing LRG tires OEM, and then revert back to LRE ST's. That was what was on Montana's and we recently looked at! LRE ST tires.

Chris

This is assuming that the mfr actually installs 16" wheels, which almost all do =not= do for FWs < 12-13k.

How many dealers might be swapping out good tires for junk on the lot? I've often wondered about that when I read stuff like this.

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

RangerEZ
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I had a different experience when I changed tires on my last camper. When I went to my Maxxis dealer to look at the M8008 ST, they were very familiar with the ST v LT debate and they preferred the LT for my setup.

They steered me to the Maxxis Bravo commercial series tire. They told me they sell a lot of the Bravos for campers. Low rolling resistance and an E sidewall rating and a 3-ply sidewall in some sizes. They were very similar in cost, actually a little less I think. I had them for 2-3 years before I sold it and was very happy with them.
GMC 2500 HD Duramax
2016 Cougar X-Lite 28RDB
2015 Wildcat Trail Limited & 2015 Brute Force 300

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco, #1 or 2 on my short list depending on the day, is at least offering a 16"/Maxxis option on the Eagle HT line which, if I go with a Jayco, I =will= get. Mucho overkill, IMO, since they gross only 9950, but the 16" wheels will be on already, so my options would be wide open for the future. One of the "intangible" downsides to the KZ Durango 1500, which is my other choice. Whatever I do, I'll not have China bombs on when I leave the lot with my next FW...UNLESS it's to head right to Discount Tire for a swap. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
1936 John Deere Model A

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
biofumes wrote:
Where does everyone get their LT tires mounted, here in Ca, not even mom pops stores will put LT tires on trailers out here, it's become a really strict place

Go to a commercial tire stop(truck tire shop) that services people that make a living with trailers. They will understand the issue and most not have a ST with in a country mile of their store. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
Lantley wrote:
When choosing an LT tire any old tire will not do. You need to be sure the load rating of the tire is sufficient to handle the RV.
A steel cased tire like a Duravis or XPS ribbed is preferred vs. a nylon or fiberglass casing

Polyester???? Most fabric carcass are polyester! Nylon casings went away years ago, as they flat stopped when parked, and thumped until they warmed up. Never heard of a fiberglass casing! Fiberglass strands break when flexed.

Chris

I stand corrected my point is your want steel! Not polyester, nylon or fiberglass
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

biofumes
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 4500,Aisin 4.44 gears plenty torque

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
When choosing an LT tire any old tire will not do. You need to be sure the load rating of the tire is sufficient to handle the RV.
A steel cased tire like a Duravis or XPS ribbed is preferred vs. a nylon or fiberglass casing

Polyester???? Most fabric carcass are polyester! Nylon casings went away years ago, as they flat stopped when parked, and thumped until they warmed up. Never heard of a fiberglass casing! Fiberglass strands break when flexed.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Correct Trax,Splendide

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
SabreCanuck wrote:
Me Again wrote:

People here have reported multiple failures and switched to LT tires and the failures stopped.

Chris

Yes, I get that.. What I'm saying is that people run their ST tires OVER their limits and then blame the tire. They are designed for <65 mph and certain load. Going over that will probably blow the tire. Replacing the tire with an LT that will run 80 mph fixes that person's problem.

But the PROBLEM was not the tire.

I'm one of those people. LT tires resolved my issues. For better or worse my driving habits remained the same.
Correct Trax,Splendide