cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Axle

ret-miner
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2006 KZ Outdoorsman 2352 fifth wheel wondering what weight axle I have or how to tell new at this Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:

Must be a wording problem. Axles are provided to the RV trailer manufacturer with a maximum load capacity as certified by their manufacturer. The RV trailer manufacturer has the authority to use any load capacity from the top down when certifying the GAWR for their fitment onto the trailer.

In other words, axles provide with 5200# maximum load capacity from their manufacturer are allowed to be derated to 5080# by the RV trailer manufacturer. (Look on the trailer's certification label for GAWR values).

Ok I think I see your thinking now, they are not certifying the axle per say, but the trailer capacity in relationship to the axle(s) used, a gross weight trailer of say 9,500# might use 5,200# axles.
With that sad it does not take away the fact they are 5,200# (axles)this info would be needed for ordering/needing new part(s) (brakes or bearings) for said axle, this is why I said this was false/flawed thinking.

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
johntank wrote:
CALandLIN wrote:

The manufacturers tag on the axle reflects the maximum load capacity of the axle. The official and certified load capacity for that axle is found on the trailer's certification label as the GAWR. Only the trailer manufacturer has the authority to certify your trailer axles.

The GAWR (s) reflect what the trailer manufacturer has deemed appropriate for your trailer.

"Only the trailer manufacturer has the authority to certify your trailer axles."

I say that this is false thinking as in my opinion only the axle manufacture can certify the capacity of their axle(s), unless the trailer and axle manufacture are one and the same and in most cases they are not.

Must be a wording problem. Axles are provided to the RV trailer manufacturer with a maximum load capacity as certified by their manufacturer. The RV trailer manufacturer has the authority to use any load capacity from the top down when certifying the GAWR for their fitment onto the trailer.

In other words, axles provide with 5200# maximum load capacity from their manufacturer are allowed to be derated to 5080# by the RV trailer manufacturer. (Look on the trailer's certification label for GAWR values).

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
CALandLIN wrote:

The manufacturers tag on the axle reflects the maximum load capacity of the axle. The official and certified load capacity for that axle is found on the trailer's certification label as the GAWR. Only the trailer manufacturer has the authority to certify your trailer axles.

The GAWR (s) reflect what the trailer manufacturer has deemed appropriate for your trailer.

"Only the trailer manufacturer has the authority to certify your trailer axles."

I say that this is false thinking as in my opinion only the axle manufacture can certify the capacity of their axle(s), unless the trailer and axle manufacture are one and the same and in most cases they are not.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
1ofmany wrote:
Was finally able to find the numbers on ours while I was crawling around under our fifth wheel looking for any issues that might be waiting to "surprise" me...just where laknox recommended.

So, what did you find? ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

CALandLIN
Explorer
Explorer
ret-miner wrote:
I have 2006 KZ Outdoorsman 2352 fifth wheel wondering what weight axle I have or how to tell new at this Thanks

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably tandem 3500# 5 lug axles, or a Dexter 4.4# 6 lug.

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
Was finally able to find the numbers on ours while I was crawling around under our fifth wheel looking for any issues that might be waiting to "surprise" me...just where laknox recommended.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well with:
UVW of 5530#
Dry axle weight of 4630
GVWR of 7000#
15" tires

Probably 3500# axles

Just look at tire side wall MAX Load at MAX PSI rating
Double the tire max load rating and axle will have same or lower rating
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at the metallized tag on the left near the front.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ret-miner wrote:

Crawl underneath and see if there are tags left on the axles. Get the p/n and call KZ or the axle mfr.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member