cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maine --- Go now or too late?

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
I had planned to make a trip to Maine this year. Is it to late for the leaves in that area? I would be traveling from Maryland basiclly from the Baltimore area. Where is there a GOD campGround to stay that would be about a days drive. I would continue the next day and hope to be in Bar Harbor by the second day if it's doable.
Thanks for any help.
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started
8 REPLIES 8

Grady23
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the info. I will check on the campgrounds mentioned --- Good camping to all!
Retired
2010 Cougar 318SAB
2012 Chevy 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax w/Allison
Grady Gulfstream w/twin 150'S
We're Just getting started

mwebber78
Explorer
Explorer
Peak foliage will be in about 1.5-2 weeks. Nearly all campgrounds close after Columbus Day weekend. Nights are chilly, days are dry and in the 60's - the bugs are nearly gone. I suggest the Bar Harbor area as mentioned.
2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
Most campgrounds in Bar Harbor close after Columbus Day. Narrows Too In Trenton is open until Oct. 20th and Forest Ridge in Ellsworth is open thru 10/31 I believe. We just came thru there and the leaves are expected to be changing in the next 2 to 3 weeks.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

igor2brvn
Explorer
Explorer
Go now! We just left Bar Harbor Campground - highly recommend. We had site D1. Beware - no reservations taken and no credit cards taken. Leaves are changing now and expected to peak around Oct. 1 - 5. Take advantage of free shuttle service from campgrounds to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. View the breathtaking panorama from the summit of Cadillac Mountain. The nights are cold (30s and 40s) and days are upper 50s to low 70s. Expect crowds in Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.
From the peak of good living
Eager to be RVing
2011 Cedar Creek Custom 36RE
2008 Ford F-350 CC Lariat DRW 6.4L Diesel
"Ford makes it, International shakes it!"

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
The leaves have just started to turn and it will be three weeks before the leaves become really beautiful.

Bar Harbor campground: link is a very nice place to stay at and will be open until October 14th.

Acadia National park is a wonderful place to spend a day at. Main street Bar Harbor still has many shops open for the tourists and several cruise ships can usually be viewed at the harbor dock.

Come and enjoy Maine. Potato harvest is in full swing and the moose are on the loose. No black flies around and the mosquitoes are mostly dormant. The lobsters are sweet and tasty this time of year and the local folks are friendly. You better bring your thermo under beauties. Enjoy your visit.

Lakeside

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
If you stop look at Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA or Minuteman in Littleton, MA.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

mguay
Explorer
Explorer
Most of all the cg's close around Oct 15th. As long as you are planning to go before that you should be ok. Call ahead as it is a busy time. Be prepared for nights and mornings to be in the 30's. North of Portland should be close to peak foliage around the end of the week. You should be able to do the whole trip in one day...depending on how long you want to be on the road. Maine is a BIG state! From the NH line to Bar Harbor is in the 4-5hr mark. Lots of possibilities along the way to stop. I would go as long as you can and then do a WalMart to catch some zzzzz's. Truck stops are few and far between in this neck of the woods!
2007 Volvo VNL 780 D12/Ultra Shift Singled
2017 Smart Fortwo Prime Cabrio
2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3715FB

VintageRacer
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good time for Maine, leaves just barely starting to turn but cool nights are starting to kill off the bugs. My favorite time of year. Leaves will be best in two or three weeks, I would expect. Call the campgrounds, some start to close up by the mid - end of October.

Brian
2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper