cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

May have to build swivel wheel trailer for 5th wheel

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a 1976 Harley Davidson 4 wheel 36V electric golf cart that we keep at a RV resort an hour from the house in the summer. It was not something that I want to haul to Arizona in the winter with me.

The park here has 22 miles of roads inside the 400 acre park, and it is ten minutes at the 5 mph speed limit to the gate and back to let guest in.

So I have been looking for a newer gas cart and Thursday night during my 69 birthday party, I got an email that the seller excepted my offer for this cart.

It is a very lightly used 1999 Yamaha G16A and has never been on a golf course. Was used 10-20 times at a gun range when new and then stored for years on the trailer in the background. I am going to sell the Featherlite 4.5x8' all aluminum trailer, as Washington and Oregon do not allow triple towing. Or use its deck to make the swivel wheel trailer.

It was an estate sale, and price was to good to pass up. Seller even gave me the four OEM wheels and tires. And someone is coming this morning to look at the HD cart.

Now I have a cart that I could tool around in style at our Arizona RV Resort! Just have to figure out how to get it back and forth.

Have the flip/flop rear seat, light kit and 5 panel mirror on order.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021
23 REPLIES 23

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We would be hard pressed to find another deal like this one!! Of course an electric one would be fine for down there! Gassers are become very hard to find in good condition around here.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Dtaylor
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
mayo30 wrote:
For what it is going to cost to build or buy something to get your cart south,buy one there and leave it there.Use the trailer money as seed money.I am sure you can buy a good used one for the cost of trying to get this one back and forth.

Problem is I have nowhere to store a cart in Arizona when we are not there.

Chris

Mini or self Storage facility
Our Travel Blog

2018 Premier 29RKPR
2014 Ford F-150

mayo30
Explorer
Explorer
blkdodge wrote:

Chris

I'm in a park in N.Phx and I can babysit it for you.

BINGO----and the winner is----also a new friend.

blkdodge
Explorer
Explorer

Chris

I'm in a park in N.Phx and I can babysit it for you.
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW/2012 Heartland Landmark San Antonio.

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
Just be aware that some states consider a swivel wheel trailer the same as a bumper pull and if you can't pull triples then a swivel wheel is out. Make sure you can pull one before building one. It's been discussed on here but I don't remember the states.

I have never been able to figure out how this is a triple tow. You are towing 2 trailers, not 3. A truck with 2 trailers is not considered triple towing. A truck with 3 trailers is triple towing.
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

Brandon327
Explorer
Explorer
The advantage to the swivel wheel would be you can still back up.
2013 gmc 3500 hd cc Drw 4x4
2016 Dutchmen voltage 3990

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
If it were me I would just put a hitch on the back and tow it behind. If you get pulled over chances are the Leo that pulls you over is going to look at the swivel wheel as a trailer also and pull you over for that also. I know they say it's not a trailer but try to explain that to the LEO that is looking for stupid stuff instead of what he really needs to be concentrating on. Just doing it safely. You don't have many choices without getting a TH.

TH'ers , to bad they do not make one for seniors snowbirder's, they are all so gaudy. Chris
I here ya! Won't get an argument from me on that one.;) That's why I have been pulling doubles to take my toy(s).
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I'd buy a cart in AZ and leave it in a storage locker when I'm not there. I rent a 9 x 12 in VA for $300 per year.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:
If it were me I would just put a hitch on the back and tow it behind. If you get pulled over chances are the Leo that pulls you over is going to look at the swivel wheel as a trailer also and pull you over for that also. I know they say it's not a trailer but try to explain that to the LEO that is looking for stupid stuff instead of what he really needs to be concentrating on. Just doing it safely. You don't have many choices without getting a TH.

TH'ers , to bad they do not make one for seniors snowbirder's, they are all so gaudy. Chris

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Just be aware that some states consider a swivel wheel trailer the same as a bumper pull and if you can't pull triples then a swivel wheel is out. Make sure you can pull one before building one. It's been discussed on here but I don't remember the states.

Swivel wheels attached with ball hitches might fall into that. However if it has bolts that attach it to the trailer then they are hard pressed to tell you it is a second trailer.

Chris

Nah, they'll just say it's an attachment that didn't come from the factory and it's a trailer. End of story.

FWIW I pulled a Smart Trailer behind our Big Sky for several years through states out east that don't allow double trailers and was never given a second look, let alone stopped.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
avvidclif1 wrote:

Swivel wheels attached with ball hitches might fall into that. However if it has bolts that attach it to the trailer then they are hard pressed to tell you it is a second trailer.

Chris

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sold the trailer anyway. So that that is out of play. Chris

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler