cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maybe overweight???

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
I just spoke with a chap towing a brand new 39’ Cedar Creek 5er on his “maiden” voyage. His TV was a 2009 Chevy 2500 SRW, DMAX. He told me his new 5er weighed about 16500#. The 5er was a beautiful unit with six point auto level and dual air conditioners. The TV, maybe not so much, due to the headlights pointing to the sky and the rear tires having very little tire tread remaining. He told me it towed “great”. Good luck, my fellow camper, and safe travels to you.

Lakeside
65 REPLIES 65

JohnBoyToo
Explorer
Explorer
Pete,
ya gotta get that truck - the color matches the landmark SO much betta than that ole' white thing !!!! 🙂

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...That Landmark sure is pretty......

Lakeside

jbcason
Explorer
Explorer
Pete_k wrote:
Sounds like I'm in trouble also. 2004.5 25000HD towing a 2012 Heartland landmark Key largo 41ft long and 16,000 lb Plus. And it also does not know its back there. Stops great pulls great and handles great. Truck is level headlights are perfect. 19.5 Rickson wheels and tires along with air bags. And I know this did not change the factory towing rating.
Gross weight with the 2500hd 22400 lbs.

I'm now working on a 1987 Ford F800 to tow it with down the road if it works out. And it will be grossing around 30,000 lbs with the same camper.
7460 steering axle
6280 Drive axle
With camper gross is 29740.

Sad part is don't think the big truck is going to tow it any better. May look like a balanced rig but not sure its any safer and better.
Also used to drive over the road and ran triaxle dump trucks for years. Now those are fun, 74,000 lbs gross on the back of a truck. No trailer just a 16ft bed sitting on the tandems and hauler butt. Not everyone has never driven a load before. I think some that never even ran around in a pickup before. Just there car is the ones that think you have to have a truck that is rated for 5000 lbs more then your load or your going to kill the world.
Pete
Pete we are on the same page. Haha

Pete_k
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like I'm in trouble also. 2004.5 25000HD towing a 2012 Heartland landmark Key largo 41ft long and 16,000 lb Plus. And it also does not know its back there. Stops great pulls great and handles great. Truck is level headlights are perfect. 19.5 Rickson wheels and tires along with air bags. And I know this did not change the factory towing rating.
Gross weight with the 2500hd 22400 lbs.

I'm now working on a 1987 Ford F800 to tow it with down the road if it works out. And it will be grossing around 30,000 lbs with the same camper.
7460 steering axle
6280 Drive axle
With camper gross is 29740.

Sad part is don't think the big truck is going to tow it any better. May look like a balanced rig but not sure its any safer and better.
Also used to drive over the road and ran triaxle dump trucks for years. Now those are fun, 74,000 lbs gross on the back of a truck. No trailer just a 16ft bed sitting on the tandems and hauler butt. Not everyone has never driven a load before. I think some that never even ran around in a pickup before. Just there car is the ones that think you have to have a truck that is rated for 5000 lbs more then your load or your going to kill the world.
Pete
2022 Ram Big Horn DRW
2016 Eagle Cap 1200
2012 Landmark Key Largo
2005 Chevy Kodiak c5500 Cummins 5.9/Allison Trans

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
jbcason wrote:
If I told them what I did with an 82 ford dualie they would have a heart attack. Lol. I put 428,000 miles on that truck.

I think I've seen your rig...

At least the truck is on the right side of the road! Good thing they do not haul it both directions. Chris

The trucks going in opposite direction are required to stack load wide at bottom and narrow at top.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
jbcason wrote:
If I told them what I did with an 82 ford dualie they would have a heart attack. Lol. I put 428,000 miles on that truck.

At least the truck is on the right side of the road! Good thing they do not haul it both directions. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

jbcason
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle wrote:
Most are for safety first. Then there are those that just don't care.

FE
actually most don't have a clue. They stepped out of an office, bought a fifth wheel, pulled it a while and think they are experts. I am all about safety. A lot of what people call safety is just silly. Kinda like Ice Road Truckers. Haha

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
jbcason wrote:

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

jbcason
Explorer
Explorer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FastEagle wrote:

FE

You are right, some do not even care about the tires they use being the weakest link in the setup! Some buy a new 60K truck and 80K trailer that is riding on cheap 100 dollar or less tires. Does not make much sense. Very little safety in that! Some on here even promote cheap tires!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer

FE

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
jbcason wrote:
It just amazes me to hear all the people worrying over some one else's rig that that they think might be over weight. I own a trucking company and we consistently haul loads, with a truck rated for 80,000#' that are 200,000#'s. No one ever looks at the door sticker to see if the truck is rated to haul that much, they just check to see if the truck/trailer is registered/permitted to haul the weight. The most important part is do u have the brakes to stop the load and the tires to haul the load. These new pickups have the capability to haul much more than they are rated for. Ask any hotshotter. All the "experts" on here that want to flame someone would be better off tending to their own business.

I have been trying to tell the RV.net weight police for years, if they want to know what a pickup can haul, go to a truck stop and talk to a hotshotter! Pickups never come close to the federal bridge weight laws.

Chris

jbcason
Explorer
Explorer
It just amazes me to hear all the people worrying over some one else's rig that that they think might be over weight. I own a trucking company and we consistently haul loads, with a truck rated for 80,000#' that are 200,000#'s. No one ever looks at the door sticker to see if the truck is rated to haul that much, they just check to see if the truck/trailer is registered/permitted to haul the weight. The most important part is do u have the brakes to stop the load and the tires to haul the load. These new pickups have the capability to haul much more than they are rated for. Ask any hotshotter. All the "experts" on here that want to flame someone would be better off tending to their own business.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Cummuns. I could not find that. It use to be tare weight times 1.5 and then rounded up to the next even thousand. They licensed my 2500 at 12k. If I have the kayak rack and kayaks I am at 10k or slightly over. So I am not going to argue about it.

Chris

That was how it was explained to me. The equation works for your 12G. Your truck probably had a factory weight of around 6,600# so go to the next ton, that is 8K then add 4K then you are at 12K. Bummer for me is they add extra "FEE" for commercial since I am over 12K licensing. In reality the 14K is actually good if I were ever to be weighed. Very unlikely tho.

If my truck were to have had a factory weight of 7,999# instead of 8,020# I would be paying for 12K in licensing like you.

If I used what you are saying 8,020# X 1.5= 12,030# then to the next thousand would put me at 13,000# license fee.

OR if the curb or tare weight was listed as 6668 or more, then 1.5 times that is over 10K and it is rounded to 12K. That verbiage use to be on the wa.gov site. And that is how my truck got tab for 12K in 2001. I can now not find it on the states web site. It just says that you much have tabs for the weight you are hauling, and that you still must be under the legal weight for the vehicle. Which means you have to follow this RCW 46.44.042.

Subject to the maximum gross weights specified in RCW 46.44.041, it is unlawful to operate any vehicle upon the public highways with a gross weight, including load, upon any tire concentrated upon the surface of the highway in excess of six hundred pounds per inch width of such tire. An axle manufactured after July 31, 1993, carrying more than ten thousand pounds gross weight must be equipped with four or more tires. An axle carrying more than ten thousand pounds gross weight must have four or more tires, regardless of date of manufacture. Instead of the four or more tires per axle requirements of this section, an axle may be equipped with two tires limited to five hundred pounds per inch width of tire. This section does not apply to vehicles operating under oversize or overweight permits, or both, issued under RCW 46.44.090, while carrying a nonreducible load.

Here is a link to bridge weight info.
I am looking for one that talks about weight branded on the tire sidewall.

My truck has factory optional LT265/75R16 tires that have 8.125" tread width. This comes out to 4875 pounds limit for a tire that wide, providing it was manufactured to handle that much. These Michelin LTX M&S carry a max load at 80 lbs of 3415 pounds.

I am looking for one that talks about weight branded on the tire sidewall, but can not fine one.

Here is the only thing I can find.

(2) Motor truck, road tractor, truck, truck tractor -sufficient declared gross weight required. The declared gross weight for a motor truck, road tractor, truck, or truck tractor must have a sufficient declared gross weight, as required under chapter 46.44 RCW, to cover:

(a) Its empty scale weight plus the maximum load it will carry; and

(b) The empty scale weight of any trailer it will tow and the maximum load that the trailer will carry. The declared gross weight of the motor vehicle does not need to include the trailer if:

(i) The empty scale weight of the trailer and the maximum load the trailer will carry does not exceed four thousand pounds; or

(ii) The trailer is for personal use, such as a horse trailer, travel trailer, or utility trailer.

So this is a bit tricky. One does not have to license for a travel trailers weight, yet the pin or hitch weight of said trailer is on the truck and is carried weight???

Chris

They seem to change the rules as we go for the "maximum revenue".

I have heard both ways, trailer tabs pay for trailer and also license rig for total combined weight.

I think they like to keep us in the dark!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD