cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Truck Camper to Toy Hauler

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
I'm selling my truck camper and want to move to a 20' +/- Toy Hauler.

I found a 2008 Coachman 170 Blast for $7500 in like new condition.

I really like the layout of the bunk beds up front for the grandsons and a nice big bed folded down in the back for PaPa.

At time I would carry two motorcycles which seem to fit fine, one in front of the other.

Anyone have anything I should be on the lookout for with this TH?

I'll be towing it with a Dodge 2500 Diesel. Should be no issue as I tow a 30' car trailer all the time and the truck just shrugs it off like it isn't there.

Anyone on this forum have one? The size is correct for my use. Don't want anything too big.

Thanks!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
7 REPLIES 7

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
After all was said and done....I decided to keep the TC for the remainder of this year and revisit the issue in the winter. My work schedule precludes much camping this summer anyways and good deals on used THs are always around. I hated to pass on that BLAST as it was a smok'n deal, but since he has been trying to sell it for 8 months with no takers, the price might be lower in the fall.

I'm quite shocked at how low the pricing is on THs up here in the Northeast. Seems like there is near zero demand as very few new THs are on dealers lots and they tell me there simply is no demand for them.

I've seen many used 30 footers of under 10 years old for the $5000-$7500 range.

But I'd like to have something in the 20' range so I can get it into my favorite hunting spots up north.
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

wayward1
Explorer
Explorer
They are both on the dark side! I guess I'm very dark since I kept the TC after I got the TH 😉
Rick and Kristi (KNR)

Hokie_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. I looked at the Blast toy haulers when they were on the market. They seemed like a nice entry level model. One that I"m considering if I can find a deal like yours.

One suggestion is to be careful as you'll probably forget about the trailer behind you as it'll be easy for your truck to tow.

dougford
Explorer
Explorer
The "dark side" is nice. I can use the truck once we arrive, without "tearing down" the campsite.

Your Dodge probably won't know Blast 170 is behind it. As long as it's just you and the two grand sons, you should have plenty of room. Keep in mind though, that once grand kids tell Mom and Dad how much fun they had, Mom and dad may want to start going. The lure of "dark side" is very hard to resist...
2008 Ford F350 CC 4X4
2012 Jacyo Octane T29A
2006 Yamaha Blaster
2007 Honda Recon
2006 TTR50
2012 YZ250F
2013 WR250R
2013 XT250

Catlin98987
Explorer
Explorer
I am Contemplating converting a cargo to a toyhauler, and selling my camper also
2011 Ford F150 Ecoboost, Supercab, 4x4. 6.5' Box.
2011 LivinLite 5.7 Truck Camper

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is where your truck camper buddies say "You have been lost to the dark side." So, welcome to the dark side,I think.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

Y-Guy
That size of trailer and your truck should be fine. About 21.5' and 7000 GVWR.

Do a good detailed PDI before you sign off on it to make sure you know what you're getting into. You can find one PDI check list here.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon