cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to LT'S

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
After having 2 Maxxis tires with tread separation I will be moving on to Lt's. I'm thinking of going with 235/85/16 E Bfg's Commercial Lt's. Since I added the 3rd axle I can afford the almost 500 lb difference between the st's and lt's. (gross weight on trailer is 12,500 lbs) Any thoughts on this tire good or bad? My local Sams club has several in stock. Thanks
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)
22 REPLIES 22

TRIPLE8
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips. Going with the BFG's
06 chevy silverado 2500 d-max
2013 Ford F350 DRW
2021 Host Mammoth
2007 KTM 525 EXC
2019 RZR Turbo S
2020 Yamaha MT-07
87 Suzuki Samurai (highly modified)

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
I went with Firestone Transforce HT 235/85/R16s and so far so good. I had dealer switch out the Chinese junk before I signed the dotted line. It is nice to finally have a real set of rubber behind me. Make sure you have them balanced. Steve

When I got my tires I told them I wanted LT and he ask why when he has sts and I ask him if he would trust sts on the front of his wife's truck?
Then he recommended the Transforces so far they work but I only about a 1000 miles on them.
Gary

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice on moving up. Another one see's the light!!!!!

Those BFGs are good tires. Roll with em!!!!!!
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Sfla2
Explorer
Explorer
Just a little heads up had BFG 225 75-16 TA on my "c" in rear, went thru 5 tires in 3yr oldest being 4.5 yr dot last 1 in May only 2 yrs old had a bubble didn let go all other did not overloaded around 14k max never below 78 psi They are owned by Mich. went to FS transforce much happier
98 Coachmen "C" Santara Model FL (Front Lounge) 30.4
Ford V 10 Super Duty (same as E 450)

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just put 6 new BFG Commercial T/As on my Raptor. The Michelin Ribs & Bridgestone Duravis were too much for my budget. But researching these tires seem to be the next popular choice.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

BobWanderer
Explorer
Explorer
Running BFG commercials on my ~10K 2 axel rig, just under 2 years with no problems.
One flat from a nail, NOT the tires fault.
When I get the new rig, it will get the same tires ASAP.

There are several good L T tires out there, pick what you can afford and something that should be available if you travel very far from home.

That is a concern for Us, a few years back, we were in Northern Kali, had a wheel crack and another flat that was not repairable.
Put the good tire from the bad rim onto the good rim and drove 800+ miles with no spare.
The tire shop was going to order a tire, but it was Friday and we needed to be home Sunday.
I did have them put the flat tire on the bad rim and had 2 cans of fix a flat ready if needed to get off the hwy. I now have 2 spares and L T tires are available most anywhere.
2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Running Maxxis ST tires on such a large rig is too close to comfort for me. IMO, Maxxis are about the best ST tire option available but are best suited for rigs 10K pounds and under. We have nearly 30K miles on our Maxxis ST tires, our rig comes in just under 10K# fully loaded and they have performed very well.

I have BFG Commercial LT tires on our TV and they have provided excellent service and are easier on the pocketbook compared to many LT tires. Got mine at Samsclub as well as they had the best out the door price.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Firestone Transforce HT 235/85/R16s and so far so good. I had dealer switch out the Chinese junk before I signed the dotted line. It is nice to finally have a real set of rubber behind me. Make sure you have them balanced. Steve
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.