cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My experience with SoCal RV doctor

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
I just want to write a quick review of my experience with Jim at SoCal rv doctor.
I could write a novel but I'm going to try and keep it short as I can.
I had my WWLe3505 upgraded to 50 amp and added a 2nd AC. It's a 350 mile round trip for me but because of there reputation I took the time and extra money and made the trip.
Everything seemed to go good with the upgrade. I payed my money a week later and went on my merry way.
Nine months later I still had not used the trailer with hook ups because I mainly dry camp and I don't have a adapter to hook it up at my house.
So I go to Huntington Beach on a hot day with a 7 month pregnant wife and a fat boxer for our last trip before baby gets here. I go to plug in my trailer and boom. Big arc right at the plug, my convertor fried and half of my plugs in the trailer stopped working. I put the wife and dog back in the truck with the AC and got to work diagnosing the problem. The new 50amp plug had come loose at the coupling and some wires crossed when I plugged it in from the post to the trailer. The wires were too long inside the plug so the clamping portion of the plug did not work correctly and it came loose. It's a little hard to explain but I'm sure you guys get the idea. I retightened the four wires and got the trailer plugged in. I had 110 but my convertor no longer worked so all my lights just ran off the batteries with no charge being given. No big deal we got through the trip just fine.
So I get home the next week and give Jim a call to talk to him about the problem. I let him know everything that happened and emailed him pictures so be could see exactly what happened. He said he would take a look and call me back
You guys can say whatever you want obviously but in my opinion the plug was never right from the beginning. The plug being messed up caused the problems in my trailer. The problem is now I'm out a convertor and I am a long ways away from so cal rv. I took it to him the first time so it was done right the first time. I never expected this kind of thing to happen. So anyways I called him the next week to see what he had to say. We went back and forth in a civil way and it ended up with me requesting a call from the actual owner of the company. I never received that phone call. Jim called me back today to talk it over some more. We ended with nothing really happening and me basically telling him to read the mission statement on their website and to do what he feels is right.
Apparently it didn't sit well with him and he called me back a couple hours later. I'm not going to go into details about everything that is going on but I can say he is a class act. I am a 100% satisfied customer and I would highly recommend Jim to anyone needing repair for their RV.
He did not have to do what he did. He could of very easily told me to pound sand. Honestly guys he is the best there is in the industry. Thanks for reading.
7 REPLIES 7

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:
kofire wrote:
I just want to write a quick review of my experience with Jim at SoCal rv doctor.
I am a 100% satisfied customer and I would highly recommend Jim to anyone needing repair for their RV.
He did not have to do what he did. He could of very easily told me to pound sand. Honestly guys he is the best there is in the industry. Thanks for reading.

Sometimes things don't always go right, nobody is perfect, $hit happens. And when it does, the resulting actions are what really defines a company, and separates the average companies from the outstanding ones. SoCal RV Doc is one of the outstanding ones imo.

Jim and SoCal RV Doctor is a class act. I really like Jim. They did some awesome work for me. But don't think for a minute you will pull the wool over Jims eyes, he knows RV's better than most anyone in the business and he knows people...(This is/was not directed at you kofire)

My bet is, he, like many that read this post, are not sure of what really happened 9 months later. But being the customer service person he is, he gave you the benefit of the doubt. You were smart to do the drive and make the right choice in the company you let work on your RV... Good move.

jmo

Exactly right. I think We have mutual respect for each other ( at least I do for him ) I feel I brought a good arguement to him and gave him an opportunity to make it right. Even though he was well within his rights to not. People like him are what can make or break a company especially in an industry like this.

BigDogF250
Explorer
Explorer
http://socalrvdoctor.com/contact/

Lake Elsinore.
Don't take life too seriously, it's not permanent.
06 Weekend Warrior FSC3200, Axles flipped, Bridgestone Duravis Tires
2005 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
07 Yamaha YZF450 White/Silver, 94 Husqvarna WXC610
2008 Polaris RZR 800, 2011 Honda CBR1000RR & one Goffin Cockatoo

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for posting, always good to hear of a positive review. Where are they located in So Cal?
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
kofire wrote:
I'll keep that in mind. There was nothing on in the trailer so essentially the power was off. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. That was not the problem this time. There were bare wires touching inside the plug, that was the problem.

Power supply, not the downstream items. There is good reason that code requires the breaker/disconnect to be near the receptacle.

However you are right, it wouldn't have changed the outcome in your situation. Just a tip that everyone should follow.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
kofire wrote:
I am a 100% satisfied customer and I would highly recommend Jim to anyone needing repair for their RV.

Sometimes things don't always go right, nobody is perfect, $hit happens. And when it does, the resulting actions are what really defines a company, and separates the average companies from the outstanding ones. SoCal RV Doc is one of the outstanding ones imo.

Jim and SoCal RV Doctor is a class act. I really like Jim. They did some awesome work for me. But don't think for a minute you will pull the wool over Jims eyes, he knows RV's better than most anyone in the business and he knows people...(This is/was not directed at you kofire)

My bet is, he, like many that read this post, are not sure of what really happened 9 months later. But being the customer service person he is, he gave you the benefit of the doubt. You were smart to do the drive and make the right choice in the company you let work on your RV... Good move.

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

kofire
Explorer
Explorer
I'll keep that in mind. There was nothing on in the trailer so essentially the power was off. Not sure if that makes a difference or not. That was not the problem this time. There were bare wires touching inside the plug, that was the problem.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Not clear to me what happened but thought I would point this out; always turn off power before plugging in or unplugging.

With 50a service you risk creating an open neutral situation while wiggling the plug. An open neutral even temporarily can fry things by applying 240 volts to your appliances and converter.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900