cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nationwide is not on our side

bobinraymoremo
Explorer
Explorer
I just got off the phone with Nationwide Insurance and they have denied any coverage for our black tank overflowing into the bathroom and up the vent and into the ceiling. They will send a letter but reviewed it over the phone. Denied for two reasons; mechanical failures and improper maintenance. There were two mechanical failures they stated; the vent not properly fitted to go all the way to the roof and because the check valve below the toilet did not work properly. I told them this was an RV toilet and not a home toilet and that there is no check valve. Was told this would not matter because of the other mechanical problem which is true, it should have gone out to the roof. The improper maintenance is leaving the water running after a black tank flushing. I told when I called in the claim that I thought I turned off the water but my improper maintenance leaving the water on and exiting the scene led to the loss which they will not pay for.

He also said that no insurance company would ever pay for this type of loss.

Thoughts, besides getting a new insurance company.
--
Bob & Jo (Full-time RV'ng since 09/10/2009 and loving it!)
Our travel blog: http://bobandjotravelblog.blogspot.com/
Our travel photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobandjotravel/sets/
Our RV-2010 Carriage Cameo F35SB3
Our Tow Vehicle-2010 Ford F-350 DRW
27 REPLIES 27

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
The vent stack installation and operation has zero to do with the claim.
Neither does the nonexistent "toliet check valve "
They are both just trial balloons by the adjuster to gauge the gullibility and willingness to pursue the claim by the insured party.
Nearly every adult can cite an instance of negotiating a higher payout or reinstatement of a rejected claim.
A despicable practice of cheating their own customers that is universal in the industry.

I agree...this is the correct answer.
We had a guy did a similar thing only he jammed hose into fresh water fill tank, got distracted by his child. Only when he heard loud popping noises did he run and shut off water. Camper was less than a month old, totalled, the tank expanded and pushed floor up , damaging appliances, floor, walls and roof.
Stupid..you betcha
But they paid.

On to current problem, this guys kid or a neighbour could have done this by turning a hose on and caused damage. Then its an obviouse accident (not careless or stupid) Why does it matter if vent pipe was even there?
Its a stupid accident and insurance does pay for stupid unless they can prove intent and then its fraud..no pay..you get charged.

This person (the OP) should be reimbursed for sure in this case.
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL

SolidAxleDurang
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
"Accidents" might be better defined as action outside your control. Somewhere in the fine print, I'm sure the policy says it doesn't cover "stupid". When I do something that qualifies as, "stupid", I'm pretty prepared to have to pay for it myself.

SO based upon YOUR coverage, you run a red-light and hit another vehicle in the intersection... The INS company pays for the other vehicle and then you're on your own for your vehicle? Got it....
TV = 15 Ram 3500 Dually 6.7 / CC-LB / CTD / Aisin / 3.42 / 4wd / EBrake
5er = 12 Keystone Avalanche 330RE
Toys = 08 Kawasaki Brutie Force 650i 4x4 ( x2 🙂 ) 14 Arctic Cat Wildcat 1000

Copperlisa
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sitting here listening to a recording we kept of an Allstate adjuster trying to intimidate our daughter over an accident that was not her fault. Please don't tell me that adjusters don't try to not pay out if they can avoid it. Allstate is one of the absolute worst. I've had many other insurance adjusters and agents tell me the same thing.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext. Cab Short Box 6.0L
1998 Jayco Designer 2930RKS

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Remember Katrina?
Allstate paid $30 million when found guilty in federal court of coercing and intimidating inspectors to say houses where flood damaged not storm damage.
But you won't accept that because you're upset over an earlier thread.
May God Bless You
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Sledge_Hammer
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
Nationwide is NOT on your side, and you are not in good hands with AllState
They are in business to make money and the adjusters are rated on how much they can avoid paying on claims.
It dosent have to be fair or right - just legal 😞
Insurance adjusters are lower than lawyers because they will lie to your face about what you are due just to raise their rating 😞
Most of the time they are not "new trainees that are over exuberant" they realize the best way to get advancement is to screw as many people on claim payouts as they can.

So is this your opinion, or do you have some actual knowledge you can quote? Insurance companies are audited frequently by each States Insurance Department, and if they found a company rewarding the claim reps for improperly denied claims, the company would get heavily fined.
2013 Fuzion FZ315
2013 Ford F350 DRW

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Vent pipe slipped down. Maybe, but what did it SMELL like in the camper. All that odorous lovely smell inside the walls?

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
The vent stack installation and operation has zero to do with the claim.
Neither does the nonexistent "toliet check valve "
They are both just trial balloons by the adjuster to gauge the gullibility and willingness to pursue the claim by the insured party.
Nearly every adult can cite an instance of negotiating a higher payout or reinstatement of a rejected claim.
A despicable practice of cheating their own customers that is universal in the industry.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
cjoseph wrote:
NJRVer wrote:
cjoseph wrote:

The vent is not for the discharge of sewage. It is not a pathway for liquid. It is not an overflow. It was working perfectly fine. I'm sure air was passing quite well.

Who's to say the weight of the liquid didn't cause the vent stack to slip down. It wasn't designed to hold the weight of sewage.

I don't know how many vent stacks will hold the weight of sewage without slipping a little. They aren't put in that solidly.

The vent should have been glued into the tank.
For the vent to "slip down" the tank would have had to also drop down and pull the vent stack down with it.
A full black tank shouldn't have made the tank drop, it should have had the proper support to keep it in place when it is full.

I agree, but not a maintenance issue. That's a manufacturers defect, not the OP's fault.

The connection to the tank could be sound and the weight of the liquid caused it to slip down under the roof. The tank could sag. If the pipe had a turn, the pipe could sag. The OP can't maintain what is happening behind a wall. Either way glued or not, its not the OPs fault.

A vertical vent stack carries no additional weight when full of liquid and therefore should not slip down even if it wasn't glued or otherwise secured in place. However, if unsecured, it could certainly slip down from road induced impacts and vibration.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that the vent stack does not exist for the discharge of liquids and as long as it is higher than the highest DESIGNED liquid level in the system, then it is doing it's job. Not much different than undercounter vents in houses. Never heard of a check valve in any toilet, RV or otherwise. Heck, an RV toilet is safer than a conventional toilet where in a two story house, if the sewer main is blocked, a ground floor toilet will always overflow.

I fail to see lack of maintenance anywhere with this issue, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sure, proper procedure was not following when using the black tank flush, so the term 'stupid' applies, but unless there is a specific exclusion for this, then it should be covered like other 'stupid' events. After Nationwide pays the claim, they can decide if they want to fight with the manufacturer over a design defect in the vent stake height, and unless they can prove that your unit was built differently than other similar units, then they will lose.

Keep pushing the issue.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

cjoseph
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
cjoseph wrote:

The vent is not for the discharge of sewage. It is not a pathway for liquid. It is not an overflow. It was working perfectly fine. I'm sure air was passing quite well.

Who's to say the weight of the liquid didn't cause the vent stack to slip down. It wasn't designed to hold the weight of sewage.

I don't know how many vent stacks will hold the weight of sewage without slipping a little. They aren't put in that solidly.

For the vent to "slip down" the tank would have had to also drop down and pull the vent stack down with it.
A full black tank shouldn't have made the tank drop, it should have had the proper support to keep it in place when it is full.

I agree, but not a maintenance issue. That's a manufacturers defect, not the OP's fault.

The connection to the tank could be sound and the weight of the liquid caused it to slip down under the roof. The tank could sag. If the pipe had a turn, the pipe could sag. The OP can't maintain what is happening behind a wall. Either way glued or not, its not the OPs fault.
Chuck, Heidi, Jessica & Nicholas
2013 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA

Hondavalk
Explorer II
Explorer II
I emailed State Farm Corporate when they low balled a auto claim and the adjuster was unwilling to meet me halfway. I had State Farm and so did the person who hit me. I sent the email at 3AM and by 10AM Corporate was calling me on the phone and gave me MORE than I was asking for and were very apologetic for the issues I had with the adjuster. It might be worth a try contacting their home office.

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
cjoseph wrote:

Copperlisa
Explorer
Explorer
popeyemth wrote:
They are in business to make money and the adjusters are rated on how much they can avoid paying on claims.
Insurance adjusters are lower than lawyers because they will lie to your face about what you are due just to raise their rating 😞
Most of the time they are not "new trainees that are over exuberant" they realize the best way to get advancement is to screw as many people on claim payouts as they can.

All I can say is AMEN to both! Either company is dangerous to deal with, unless someone has done damage to YOU and they are fighting for you. Then they are fabulous to work with, because they are fighting hard to get money from the other company.

2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD Ext. Cab 4x4 6.0L
1998 Jayco Designer 2930RKS

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer