cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with electrical problem please

importman
Explorer
Explorer
I've got an 06 Montana fifth wheel which is permanently setup that has recently developed a strange problem. In the living room slideout there is one 110v receptacle and 2 110v light fixtures. All of these have stopped working. I've checked all breakers and the GFCI in the washroom and all are good. It appears that this is isolated to the slideout entirely. There is another outlet on the opposite side of the camper that is on the same circuit as the one in the slideout and it still has power. I guess my biggest question is, how do I access the wiring going into the slideout. I looked underneath and saw nothing. I'm assuming I'm either going to have to drop the insulation underneath or pull up carpet inside to find a access panel. Also, if anyone can tell me where to find any schematics or wiring diagrams it would be great. I've looked online and found nothing. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Danny
11 REPLIES 11

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, here's a little followup about this. Sorry it took so long; been away from the computer. On Friday I opened up the junction box and took off the wire nuts one by one and didn't see anything wrong. No burn marks, corrosion or anything else to indicate a problem there. Connected them back and went inside and tested the outlet and both of the 110v lights. No power. Then I went back to the JB and tested and found I did in fact have power at that point. So I assumed I had a wiring problem in the floor or walls of the slideout. I didn't have time to go into that on Friday so I disconnected and separated the wires at the junction box so as not to be sending power into the slideout. (Without knowing what was going on in there I was concerned about a fire risk.) I stopped at that point and didn't get back to it until Sunday afternoon. So, on Sunday I reconnected the wires at the JB and sure enough, everything now had power. So, as I see it, either there WAS a bad connection at one of the wire nuts or there is an intermittent connection problem in the wiring inside the slideout. For the time being I guess I'll just have to monitor it and see if the problem recurs. Right now it's working as designed. I do have another question regarding this in case this problem comes back. Does anyone know where another junction point might be within the slideout? I ask because there almost has to be one. The wiring going from the junction box into the bottom of the slideout is like 3 stranded wires all contained within a black insulation. However the wire going to the receptacle inside the slideout is a standard 14-2 w/ground flat type wire. So at some point there has to be a place for this change to happen. The only place I can imagine finding this would be in the floor, if that's possible. I guess there would have to be a separation between the flooring inside and the bottom of the slideout from the outside.... wouldn't there? Anyone know about this? I may not ever have to go into that if my problem doesn't come back but it's really got me curious as to where a junction could be in this thing. Again, thank you all for your help on this. Your input is invaluable.

tko9900
Explorer
Explorer
If it is a wirenut problem replace the wirenuts with the type for wet locations. They have a compound in them to prevent corrosion. When you twist the wirenuts onto the wires try to tug each wire from the wirenut to be sure they are secure. Don't be afraid to twist them tightly.

Rich1961
Explorer
Explorer
Could also be as simple as a wiring connection on the back of the first electrical outlet in the slide out. Make sure you unplug the trailers electrical cord first or open the breaker to that circuit before pulling the outlet out of the wall to check it.

Rich
2016 Chevrolet/Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab B&W RVK 3700 5th Wheel Hitch
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem just like that on my Laredo.

Turned out not to be the J Box.

The neutral in the service panel that fed that circuit was loose. not hard to check the connections with a screw driver.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
my Open range used a plastic connector (certified for mobile home use) in the 120v wire going to my slide. this was sitting right on top of the bottom chloroplast plastic on one side of the slide.

One day I smelled wire fire, went outside and saw some coming from under RV. Here this connector was full of water, started getting hot and burnt a hole through bottom of chloroplast bottom. now that connector was replaced with a waterproof box and wire nuts. (and I fixed yet another leak)
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Similar issues have been discussed on the Montana Owners Club (MOC) forum. And some did report loose wiring in a junction box under the slide.

importman
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, I never expected responses this quickly. Sounds like it might be a simple fix. I'll check it as soon as I get home this evening. Thank you all so much. I really appreciate it.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto wire nut

Carl_n_Susan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Ditto on the junction box along the frame at one end of the slide. It is a common source of failure either due to water intrusion of loose/corroded wire nuts. There are no wiring diagrams for Montanas. Each old worlds craftsman wires in their own way. That is Keystone's story and they are sticking to it.

Much, much more on this and all things Montana can be a found at the free-to-join Montana Owners Club Forum (www.montanaowners.com)
Temp Signature1
Second Line
Third line
Fourth Line

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Your wire nut has come loose or burned through theres a junction box on the frame at either end of the slideout

Or you have a bad plug butmy bet is on the bad wire nut

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
The slide on mine slides on a channel and my cord was inside the channel.
My service company found it because I couldn't.
You might pull the receptacle and examine it's wiring.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter