cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with new trailer/floor plan

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. New member but I have been lurking and reading for over a year. Great info and knowledge here. Anyway, I'm not a new RV owner, we have owned everything from campers, travel trailers, 5er's and most recently our toy hauler (25' Eclipse Attitude) that we just sold two months ago.

My family is myself, wife and 3 boys from 4-9 years old. As we have been RV'ing, our needs and toys have progressed. We sold our last toy hauler since the new Polaris XP4 1000 is HUGE and wouldn't fit and we want to move to a 4 seater side by side since they are fun!

Anyway, the problem is my truck is limiting my new trailer choices and this site has opened my eyes to weight limits and what the thing can actually haul. It is a 2007 Ram Mega Cab 2500 4x4 with a Cummins. Not knowing how limited the Mega Cabs are with low CC due to the huge cab we bought it thinking it would be fine for our needs. It was with the 2 seater RZR and 25' "Ultra Light" toy hauler which weighed in at 10k on the nose with full of water/fuel/toys/stuff....half ton towable...RIGHT.

So, we are searching for a new trailer with a MINIMUM of 13' of cargo space before a cabinet or wall....coming up pretty short. So far....new puts us into a Eclipse 32GSG or IBG model but those are over 37' from tongue to rear box. I would not want to limit myself from certain parks since we don't always take the toys....that and towing that much on the bumper can't be fun. We can make the Desert Fox 29 work as well. We know they are quality and a co-worker has one, well built and nice. We do not care much for the interior colors as much as the Eclipse though and the Eclipse carries more water...we boondock a LOT and 100 gallons of water goes in 4-5 days with my family size...so another 60 gallons the Eclipse offers helps in that area.

I want(ed) to keep my bed open for the two kid quads we take...and I know my CC on my rear axle is limited so 5er's are not really much of any option for us. Even though I have upgraded the wheels and put E rated tires on the back I don't have much to work with.

So, I'm open to used/new just need to find a floor plan that will sleep all of us, carry at the very least the RZR and not kill my truck! HELP! TIA!

Oh and we have kicked around the idea of going Class A and just skip the TH altogether....but then I have a 40k truck doing nothing. I'd like to make it work if possible and keep the next trailer for 10 years. Then the kids are gone mostly and we plan to step into a DP Class A and retire with it.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
5 REPLIES 5

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link, very helpful!

It is also a reality check.

I think I might lean towards the class A pusher....

Manufacturers need to take note, not all of us care more about bling and want to haul our toys!

Also to note the Livin lights seem nice but lack some basics like a monitor station for tank levels. Between that and low rank capacities the price is just too high.

Thanks for the links and advice.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
SEE THIS POSTING
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
take a look at the livin lite quicksilver vrv8.5 by 32
also look at dune sport you can custom build a trailer

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
We have looked at them and they are a possibility. One of the issues is one of the few models that work are the 35' ones and they do not offer the "nice" interior or water capacity for the money. The one we looked at was 50k and seemed like it was on par with a 25k trailer.

However, I know they are built strong and would last. However, I would have to special order one as they are usually made pretty short for rear bunks and you don't seem to get quite a good deal when you factory order either.

I don't have a problem spending 50k at all if I get what I want and what would work though. Maybe I should talk to the dealer about how it works through them. Guaranty in Eugene is the closest dealer for them.

They also tend to be REALLY heavy, so the model I would need pushes my trucks limits (over 12k loaded).

Darn you RAM for making this truck so light duty. Tuned with over 450 RWHP and can barely carry itself...

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
have you considered one of the forest river work and play models?