cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Info Quick!

boatscr
Explorer
Explorer
Started the fridge about 12pm eastern time and will check it again about three to see if its still running on gas only. We have no power at the storage lot. DW wants to load it with food for a trip starting tomorrow AM, TONITE! The boss has spoke.

My question is will the battery run the fridge only on gas over-nite? I can charge the battery before she fills it up.

The battery is new this year.

Thanks for your quick help.
12 REPLIES 12

Sturgeon-Phish
Explorer
Explorer
A full fridge with already cold stuff stays cold longer. If we have void space we fill it with cold or frozen water bottles. Works really well for us.
Jim
2003 GMC 3500 crew dually. Transfer Flow 50g aux tank; ISSPRO gauges, PPE boost valve, air box mods, stock exhaust w/o muffler, Line-X, Pace Edwards bed locker power tonneau. B&W Companion. Pulls a '05 Wildcat 31QBH 5th wheel

boatscr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your quick response. Checked the fridge and its cold. Battery looks good so we will pack it to-nite after supper!!

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are running your refrigerator on Propane the 12 volt draw for the control circuitry is low ..It would not hurt to have the battery fully charged...But as has already been posted the 12 volt amp draw is very low...

JohnnyT
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fridge level?
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Also, if you have freezer packs or frozen water bottles, pack the fridge and freezer full of them to help it cool down. I've found that one of the cheap little battery fans helps, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Gas is good or 120v. 12v battery doesn't do much good.
HR

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your battery is good, then there should be absolutely no problem running your fridge on propane for weeks. The fridge will take very little battery charge to run on propane.

I dry camp on battery and propane only. I can camp for 4 days: fridge on propane, water pump turned on all the time (it only runs when the faucets are open), lighting, charging/running netbook, cells, mp3 player with speakers, water heater on propane, propane stove/oven, etc. and STILL NOT dent my battery charge (or my propane).
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
The gas fridge should do fine for a few days with full batteries. They are good at keeping things cold...less so at cooling them down. We always try to start with cold things going into it, or do the initial cool down on shore power (which cools better).

Enjoy your trip!
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyF wrote:
Yes, the fridge does not draw many amps. But your fridge won't be very cold by tonight. Get all food cold at home before putting it in the RV fridge.

Depends on the frige, and the outdoor temps, I have started mine when we headed out from the storage yard, and it was cool an hour and a half down the road.
Yes we loaded the cool stuff in it before we hit the road.

We usually start the night before, but we decided in the morning to hit the road for the weekend!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the fridge does not draw many amps. But your fridge won't be very cold by tonight. Get all food cold at home before putting it in the RV fridge.

travisej
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the battery is fully charged it will last overnight. It should last for a few days if your not too power hungry.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
My frig uses 0.30AH while on gas.