cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tires

coachman05
Explorer
Explorer
I have 08 rockwood 5th wheel that still has the original tires on it that I would like to replace. Currently it has carlisle st 205 75 15 on it but, Im looking to maybe go with maxxis tires. Anyways I dont really know much about tires so Im looking for some suggestions and help.
2008 8244 Rockwood
2003 1500 5.3 liter Silverado
30 REPLIES 30

TodnDeb
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a trailer that size I think I would step up to a load range E tire just for the added peace of mind . I also believe that a good TPMS should be added to your rig to alert you of a problem with a tire before it does any damage to your rig.
2015 Ram3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins, Aisin Tranny, Airbags.
2015 Jayco Eagle Premier 351MKTS
30 Pack of Beer on Ice

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
JeanetteG wrote:
laknox wrote:
JeanetteG wrote:
In my case could I jack the trailer (not attached to the truck) on one side remove a tire and take it to have it mounted and come home replace and remove the other one? I seriously need tires this year!

Why would you do that? All decent tire shops can do the same thing on the spot, while you wait... :h

Lyle

It might be cheaper?

I don't recall any price break when replacing tires whether they were on the trailer or not. Not saying there is or isn't, just not in my experience.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
All I could afford wrote:
I just wanted to mention that when I checked with E-Trailer in the summer of 2015 how about getting new tires but only if I could be assured of a recent date of manufacture, I was told by email that while they strive to provide fresh tires to all their customers, they would only guarantee that the tires I receive are with in two years from date of manufacture.

Since I do less than 2,000 miles per year on my trailer, Time is what I must place my replacement on. I contacted trailer tires and wheels.com, and was assured by Michael there that I would receive tires that were less than three months old, and he was personally checking. The tires I received were only two months old. Highly recommend

Good to know! Maybe E-trailer does not stock all tires advertised, but rather fill orders from a distributor.

Thanks for posting your experience!

Jerry

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
I fulltime and put Maxxis E range on my 16k fiver 3 years ago. They are doing great. No problems. No worries.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to mention that when I checked with E-Trailer in the summer of 2015 how about getting new tires but only if I could be assured of a recent date of manufacture, I was told by email that while they strive to provide fresh tires to all their customers, they would only guarantee that the tires I receive are with in two years from date of manufacture.

Since I do less than 2,000 miles per year on my trailer, Time is what I must place my replacement on. I contacted trailer tires and wheels.com, and was assured by Michael there that I would receive tires that were less than three months old, and he was personally checking. The tires I received were only two months old. Highly recommend
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

JeanetteG
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
JeanetteG wrote:
In my case could I jack the trailer (not attached to the truck) on one side remove a tire and take it to have it mounted and come home replace and remove the other one? I seriously need tires this year!

Why would you do that? All decent tire shops can do the same thing on the spot, while you wait... :h

Lyle

It might be cheaper?

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
JeanetteG wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

JeanetteG
Explorer
Explorer

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
"My MAXXIS 13" tires i just received from AMAZON are dated "2316". Thoughts? Each tire will be carrying at the most 1,000#."

Well those should certainly be fresh enough! I have GY 5.30/12 on my bike trailer, second set now, but never had a problem with them. Mine are 1k rated at 80 psi.

Did some reading on your bike trailer. Nice, hard to find a better open hauler.:)

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
coachman05 wrote:
So did I just get lucky with the carlisle tires that are on the camper now? The tread still looks good on them but, acouple of tires have some small cracks in the side walls which makes me nervous plus they are 9 years old so I just figured its time. I found several different tires on amazon that range in price from about 80-100 bucks which Im not sure thats a good deal?

Wouldn't recommend buying tires from somewhere or anywhere online because you can't verify the date codes on the tires!!

I would not order from Amazon, as this would be a good place for an overstocked dealer to move old stock. I would feel safer ordering from a place like E-trailer, where you can talk to a person, and explain you will only accept tires with a date code not more than a year old.

Jerry

My MAXXIS 13" tires i just received from AMAZON are dated "2316". Thoughts? Each tire will be carrying at the most 1,000#.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
tinner12002 wrote:
coachman05 wrote:
So did I just get lucky with the carlisle tires that are on the camper now? The tread still looks good on them but, acouple of tires have some small cracks in the side walls which makes me nervous plus they are 9 years old so I just figured its time. I found several different tires on amazon that range in price from about 80-100 bucks which Im not sure thats a good deal?

Wouldn't recommend buying tires from somewhere or anywhere online because you can't verify the date codes on the tires!!

I would not order from Amazon, as this would be a good place for an overstocked dealer to move old stock. I would feel safer ordering from a place like E-trailer, where you can talk to a person, and explain you will only accept tires with a date code not more than a year old.

Jerry

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
coachman05 wrote:

2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
md_procouple wrote:
We replaced ours with SAILUNS, and have not had a at problems as we blew out two of the Maxxis last spring on a 300 mi. Trip (1week apart). due to MFG. defects. We now have 1500 mi. on the Sailuns, not a problem. they have gotten pretty popular over the past few years for a foreign made tire.

15" wheels as the op stated?

OP I would go with the new US Made GY tires.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD