cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some serious advice!

Levi777
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. We are in transition. My wife is severely disabled, and I work M-F on the other side of the state (Washington). The sale of our house closes on Dec. 6, and we have to be out of the house by then, and we are transitioning to a 5th wheel (2009 Montana), in that my wife can no longer take care of a regular home.

What concerns me is that first, I have no experience driving a diesel, using four wheel drive, nor pulling a 5th wheel, and not much experience pulling any kind of trailer. I'm pretty smart, and perhaps that's best shown by my asking for help.

We have a space reserved at an RV park in South Everett, and we have to bring that 5th wheel across Snoqualmie pass the weekend of Dec. 7th/8th. I anticipate blizzard conditions (anything less is a blessing, right?)

I'm thinking of putting Blizzak tires on the four 5wheel tires and four wheel on the truck should suffice. I will have chains just in case. Now, if we will be limited on finances, so I am also imagining that the Blizzak tires can't happen, will all weather radials suffice, with chains if needed? Do I have to chain both axles?

Next Summer we are relocating to Phoenix when our daughter and her family return from a posting in New York, so this will be our only time bringing the 5 wheel across a mountain pass in winter time.

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated!!!
38 REPLIES 38

Levi777
Explorer
Explorer
Well, we made it. The weather turned freezing, and the pass was "Traction Tires Required", then the day we took off from Pasco, the pass cleared and it was "no restrictions" If I felt it get a bit squishy on the road, I put the truck on 4wheel.
We bought a new 2013 Chevy 2500 HD Loredo to pull it.

It pulled it rather jerky, not sure why. We have an 18k Pull-ryte hitch.
Now that it's set in place in South Everett, we find that Chief's RV, who sold us the unit, didn't clean it, and didn't have the antifreeze in the water lines. These froze appreciably and we've now spent about $600 getting that fixed.
Ed, the Service Manager at Cheif's RV is a good and fair guy. The rest of them, mainly the sales team, earn Chief's RV a very poor rating. I'll be contacting Ed again and send him a report and ask him to refund half of the cost of fixing all these problems. Now I have to go figure out why theres no heat to the bedroom, when I finally don't have to work all day and all night.

soling2003
Explorer
Explorer
Levi,
You have heard a lot of good info here. Here is one other thing to think about.

I'll be headed to Tri cities about that time. I've got a Ford dually and I could haul it back for you for diesel money for the return trip to Everett. I'll be doing a round trip from Federal Way to Yakima to Tri cities and back.

I have a 40 ft. 5th wheel myself, I also teach RV and trailer driving, so could also give you a bit of instruction.

I agree with above, less than a week to get the truck set up, hitch installed, and some practice in isn't much time.

If you have towed a trailer before, it isn't too bad to switch to a 5th wheel, but there are some differences. Have you camped in an RV before??? you don't state your RV ing experience in general.

And don't rely on either of the salesman to give you the best advice. Especially on what truck to buy. You didn't tell us which Montana you have or are getting, but you want to really make sure that you get a big enough truck. both will tell you a 250 will tow anything, etc. etc.

If you want more info, feel free to PM me here and we can talk. I'd hate for your first trip out to be a nail biter for either you or your wife, as this is a great lively hood.

Gary
DW and 2 dogs
2011 Ford F350 Dually LB 4x4 CC 6.7 diesel
2007 Grand Junction 35TMS
Peterson 37(just sold) T-37 R/C Sailboat at home

PennyPA
Explorer
Explorer
Levi, cbenn (Charlie) has given you a great offer!! Have someone drive the trailer to your destination for you. Winter is not the time to be messing around with learning to tow a vehicle behind you, no matter how much you practice in a parking lot.
COPD and LVRS
On the Road Again

My Home - 2002 Glendale Titanium, 32/37DS with a basement slide.
Our Home's Leader - Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins Turbo Diesel Dually

Our Leaders - Sam(Bird), Chirp(Bird), Nellie(FAT cat), Lucy(Kitten), Willie(Dog) & Daisy(Dog)

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Levi777 wrote:
Chris, amen and amen to all you said. Some mitigating factors:
Our house closes on December 6. My wife flies to New York from Sea-Tac airport on December 9th. My work cut out all overtime until sometime in January. so missing even one day of work can be really detrimental to our budget. There is no grace period. I suppose if it's matter of sliding into a ravine, or missing a day of work, missing a day of work is the easier choice. So yeah, we'll watch the weather. Only we can't leave until then, and we can't be late or she'll miss her flight. This isn't business, but a matter of the heart, so you know she's gotta make it one way or another! I follow on the 21st, and we come back to an in-place, set up, ready to live in 5th Wheel. At least that's the plan!

I am well aware of the hiway between Yakima and Ellensburg. That's where I found out my Chevy Impala has a speed governor of 112 mph. If we go that route, then we took I-82 West to Yakima. I know Miner's there, but wifey will just have to forego it. Althought I did promise...
I've also worked second jobs on and off all my adult life, and learned very well how to do the "restaurant walk". It occured to me that is ALOT like winter driving. Flat footed (all four tires on the road), no sudden moves, no tight corners, and go slow. And keep your weight under you, cuz if it ain't, you upside down!

As for someone screwing up around me, it's like I've been telling people at work until I'm blue in the face (graduate degrees in chemisty and/or engieering do not guarantee common sense); With problematic issues it's either the process, or the equipment. If it's the process, adjust the process. If it's the equipment, fix the equipment. However there is one element you cannot quanitfy, and that is the human element. You can plan all you want, but humans will do something the same way 10,000 times, and one time do it differently and cause serious problems. Just can't quantify it. So all we can do is plan and prepare so that when John or Jane does something stooopid...we aren't collateral damage.
I'll know more when we get the truck. I'm thinking the Friday after Thanksgiving. Shopping will be insane, but not for trucks that cost 45k plus.

That does not leave a lot of time to get a truck setup to tow? Day after TG is the 29th and you leave the 6th??? I think I would pay someone to move it for you, and worry about the truck in the spring when you are getting ready to head to Arizona.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cbenn
Explorer
Explorer
Levi777, if your really uncomfortable with pulling the 5er PM me I'll come get it and take it to Everett for you, just pay the gas bill and follow me.I live in Shelton and would be glad to help you!
Charlie

Levi777
Explorer
Explorer
Chris, amen and amen to all you said. Some mitigating factors:
Our house closes on December 6. My wife flies to New York from Sea-Tac airport on December 9th. My work cut out all overtime until sometime in January. so missing even one day of work can be really detrimental to our budget. There is no grace period. I suppose if it's matter of sliding into a ravine, or missing a day of work, missing a day of work is the easier choice. So yeah, we'll watch the weather. Only we can't leave until then, and we can't be late or she'll miss her flight. This isn't business, but a matter of the heart, so you know she's gotta make it one way or another! I follow on the 21st, and we come back to an in-place, set up, ready to live in 5th Wheel. At least that's the plan!

I am well aware of the hiway between Yakima and Ellensburg. That's where I found out my Chevy Impala has a speed governor of 112 mph. If we go that route, then we took I-82 West to Yakima. I know Miner's there, but wifey will just have to forego it. Althought I did promise...
I've also worked second jobs on and off all my adult life, and learned very well how to do the "restaurant walk". It occured to me that is ALOT like winter driving. Flat footed (all four tires on the road), no sudden moves, no tight corners, and go slow. And keep your weight under you, cuz if it ain't, you upside down!

As for someone screwing up around me, it's like I've been telling people at work until I'm blue in the face (graduate degrees in chemisty and/or engieering do not guarantee common sense); With problematic issues it's either the process, or the equipment. If it's the process, adjust the process. If it's the equipment, fix the equipment. However there is one element you cannot quanitfy, and that is the human element. You can plan all you want, but humans will do something the same way 10,000 times, and one time do it differently and cause serious problems. Just can't quantify it. So all we can do is plan and prepare so that when John or Jane does something stooopid...we aren't collateral damage.
I'll know more when we get the truck. I'm thinking the Friday after Thanksgiving. Shopping will be insane, but not for trucks that cost 45k plus.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
There has been talk about Snogualmie Pass, however that is just one of the trouble spots. From Yakima to Ellensburg on 82 in the winter is another section of highway that can be challenging in the winter. It is higher altitude with rolling hills with shaded areas that time of the year and can be icy. There is the river route on 821, but not a place in the winter for a novice, or the summer for that matter. Then just East of Cle Elm is Elk Heights which get more snow and ice, and just West of Cle Elm there can be ice and black ice.

Depending on what truck you have bought or are going to buy, grade braking and/or an exhaust brake are desirable things. But again require some use to understand.

I towed the snowmobile all over this area for many years and learned you do not make any sudden changes, which is all good and well until someone around you screws up. At that point all bets are off.

So, you watch the weather like a hawk and do not even leave Tri-Cities unless it looks like you have a two or three day window of good weather, as you may find small issues that stop you for a day to work out once you get started.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Levi777
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Tom...there is no teacher like experience...I agree. The military mantra is "explanation, demonstration, and practical application". In other words, read and listen, see it done, then go out and "do thou likewise". I have no problem doing 20 mph on the freeway, or even 10 if it means safety. I figure by being a little paranoid now (hidden deep inside each box is one paranoid individual!) and cautious later. Paranoia while in the midst of the drive is a bad thing. Caution is a good thing.
I am well accustomed to driving on ice and snow, and planning ahead (snow tires, etc) is the result of experiences. I've never towed a trailer or another vehicle in ice and snow.
I am assured that both the RV place that sold us the 5th wheel and the truck dealership will give us any information we require to make a safe trip. In addition, the warranty comes with "halp I'm stuck!" insurance.
Thank you for your word of caution. I do intend on going to the mall parking lot late at night and driving the thing around, backing up into parking spaces, etc...the mall in Tri-Cities has a huge vacant lot even when the mall is in full swing, due to the closing of a movie theater some years back. That is a must do, and wifey can sit in Starbucks or Denny's until I am sure I can get this thing down the road without sliding off into a ditch or wiping out some little old lady on her way to spend Christmas with the grandkids.

Tom_Diane
Explorer
Explorer
John Bridge wrote:
I wouldn't do it, and I am experienced. Snoqualmie is not good if it's going to be slick at all. I came down the Sound side in rain one time, and I sweated it all the way. I can't imagine trying it in snow or sleet. 😉

X2! If you are inexperienced, Do not put your self in a position where you might panic or try to make split decisions on ice or snow. Just having folks on this site tell you what you need to do with your water lines condensation ect. is nothing and is usless info in regard to your post. You first need to get a truck and spend some time familiarizing yourself to the art of towing from the start. Im a firm believer in learning by the seat of your pants and I know from experience that you will not just jump in to a truck and tow a trailer of any kind into possible winter conditions. As a professional driver in my other life, I say, Don't put you or your wife in danger. Being smart in this case helps but common sense prevails. And Ive seen some well educated people that couldn't make common sense decisions. You might be fine but I would be concerned if it was me.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing to add but kudos to you for caring for your wife and many blessings for your future adventures!

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
mark5w wrote:
The drive tires of the TV are the only tires that need chains ore Blizzaks. The 5th wheel does not use chains or Blizzaks. ...

Out here when chains are required you have to chain up at least one trailer axle. Chris

It is generally recommended you do not mix winter tires with other types of tires on the same vehicle due to sometimes remarkable traction differences.

Also what Chris said about chaining up one trailer axle - we carry simple cable chains for this.

4 wheel drive etc will get you up the grade - it's coming down when the fun starts.

You want traction & control descending grades if you get caught out and conditions deteriorate.

If I were in your neighbourhood (sic 🙂 ) we could go for a spin or two....

wandering1
Explorer
Explorer
Driving a diesel is no different than driving a gasser. You do not need a 4x4 to tow an RV. If you want to RV a 4x4 is a waste of money, adds weight to the truck which requires a lighter 5th wheel weight to stay within the GCWR, sits too high for the 5th wheel to be level when hitched.
HR

MichiganTravele
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to the best way I have found to back a fifth wheel trailer. RLTW!

http://michigantraveler.org/2013/01/22/z-method-for-backing-a-5th-wheel/
Bob Wangen
Not all those who wander are lost!

MichiganTravele
Explorer
Explorer
Levi777 wrote:
Hi. We are in transition. My wife is severely disabled, and I work M-F on the other side of the state (Washington). The sale of our house closes on Dec. 6, and we have to be out of the house by then, and we are transitioning to a 5th wheel (2009 Montana), in that my wife can no longer take care of a regular home.

What concerns me is that first, I have no experience driving a diesel, using four wheel drive, nor pulling a 5th wheel, and not much experience pulling any kind of trailer. I'm pretty smart, and perhaps that's best shown by my asking for help.

We have a space reserved at an RV park in South Everett, and we have to bring that 5th wheel across Snoqualmie pass the weekend of Dec. 7th/8th. I anticipate blizzard conditions (anything less is a blessing, right?)

I'm thinking of putting Blizzak tires on the four 5wheel tires and four wheel on the truck should suffice. I will have chains just in case. Now, if we will be limited on finances, so I am also imagining that the Blizzak tires can't happen, will all weather radials suffice, with chains if needed? Do I have to chain both axles?

Next Summer we are relocating to Phoenix when our daughter and her family return from a posting in New York, so this will be our only time bringing the 5 wheel across a mountain pass in winter time.

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated!!!

I would suggest that you look at alternate routes, but here is a post with good info on driving in the mountains - http://michigantraveler.org/2012/11/18/driving-in-the-mountains/

Good luck!
Bob Wangen
Not all those who wander are lost!