cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need someone to replace my front axle and hub.

covenantbro
Explorer
Explorer
I am on vacation traveling from Florida to DC for the summer. My front axle broke on Interstate-95 in Thornburg, Virginia. My fifth wheel was towed to a Camping World, who said it would be about 6 weeks before they can repair it. Please recommend someone to replace my axle and hub whoโ€™s more accommodating, with faster, quality service in the Fredericksburg or DC area. I have a 2010 Carriage Cameo. Please HELP!!
10 REPLIES 10

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Roger10378 wrote:
What part of the axle broke? Axles are not necessarily a quick fix. They usually have to be built to the exact dimensions as the old ones. This usually means get all the measurements and then have them built and shipped. The install is the easy part.

Dexter makes axles daily in the size needed for 99.9% of the RVs built. No waiting, just order the size needed. E-trailer or Trailer parts either one would have them in stock as well as a lot of surplus suppliers. Ikes here in IN has stacks of them.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

covenantbro wrote:
Thanks everyone. Corbinโ€™s RV is going to be able to help. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Glad they can help...

it sounds like you may be at exit 118 at the old Safford RV which is now a CW.. I am surprised they can't help, they have a pretty large repair facility a block away I thought....
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

covenantbro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. Corbinโ€™s RV is going to be able to help. Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

here is a good one - RV Service of VA

and here - Corbins RV

and this - Atlantic RV Repair

map - Big picture

I have NOT used any I listed, you will have to get a feel for them on your own..
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

covenantbro
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your suggestions and advice. Iโ€™ll google โ€œframe and body shopsโ€. Iโ€™ll also see about mobile repair services. Unfortunately, my problem is since Iโ€™m not from the area, I donโ€™t know whoโ€™ll provide quality service. I would appreciate a specific mechanic recommendation. In the meantime Iโ€™ll proceed as afore mentioned. Again, thanks for your help.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roger10378 wrote:
What part of the axle broke? Axles are not necessarily a quick fix. They usually have to be built to the exact dimensions as the old ones. This usually means get all the measurements and then have to have them built and shipped. The install is the easy part.
Most RVs use pretty universal same size axles. All you need is the brand and weight capacity. Might not even need to be the same brand. Nothing specially built about them. Try a big rig suspension shop, most of them do mobile repairs and may even be able to weld it and repair it.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
etrailer.com has 7,000# axles in stock, if youโ€™re unable to locate one locally.
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
What part of the axle broke? Axles are not necessarily a quick fix. They usually have to be built to the exact dimensions as the old ones. This usually means get all the measurements and then have them built and shipped. The install is the easy part.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You might check for mobile RV techs. They tend to give much better service.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Use your computer and goggle up local frame shops. They can do your axle. So can any competent body or general repair shop. It's remove and replace stuff.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB