cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New 5th Wheels are AMAZING

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I had to drop off my Class A gasser at the shop. I had about an hour before my wife was going to pick me up so I went and looked at the new 5th wheels. OMG are they amazing.

When I was a kid the 5th wheel was just OK to me. You had to crouch down to get to the bed and I never cared for that. All of that has changed. I could not believe some of the layouts. Full living rooms with multiple couches, center island kitchens, pop up LED TVs and more.

I thought I had a lot of living space in my Class A but the new 5th's are HUGE. If I already owned a truck that would tow one, I would consider it for my next rig. I totally get why people that already have the truck would by one of these.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
26 REPLIES 26

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
What is the set up like for a 5th Wheel now? When I was a kid it was similar to a TT. I am guessing that they have self leveling jacks now and no longer require a bucket of blocks, chocks and jacks.

One of the things we love about our Class A is the set up. If we pull into the campground and its raining, we don't have to get out. We can set up from inside and last fro about a week before we have to go outside. That's hard to beat.

I'm pretty sure I could not last for a week without going outside to hook up water, sewer and electric. Maybe a few days working off our holding and fresh water tanks but we don't have a generator so have to have electric.

We sold a 39' dp in 2012 we had for 7 years to get what we have now. There are advantages to motorhomes and fifth wheels that has been argued ad nauseum. In dry weather I feel it is a wash for set up with our auto level. I am actually quite a bit quicker at hooking up the fiver than I was our toad behind the motorhome. For us it simply boiled down to cost. You can get a pretty good set up with a truck and fifth wheel for quite a bit less than many of the new diesel pushers for the most part.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mile High wrote:
colliehauler wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Yeah they are amazing........

Unfortunately there is a lot of 'glitz', bells/whistles etc.

Folks see the 'glitz' and think 'high quality'
I would have to agree the most of the amazing 5th wheels are gone .

The Teton's, Newmar's, Travel Supreme's, Carriage's, Alpine's, Excel and others that built a quality products. Only a few still build quality products such as DRV, NEW HORIZON, CONTINENTAL. I would say as long as the public perceive glitz as quality this is what we get.

Now-now, don't blame the glitz buyer on failure of the dinosaurs! They failed on their own.

Not a ton of people out there that pick the top end for a trailer. They just don't need the Bentley version when Dodge is priced better and has some of the Bentley comforts (glitz). After all, its a trailer, and its going to get pulled with a glitzy Dodge or Ford or GMC, not a Unimog.

I think your list may need modified a little - DRV is now Heartland, and I heard New Horizons may be in trouble.
Heartland still market it as a DRV and would not doubt New Horizon is struggling. Not to many people have the disposable income to spend on a high end trailer. Those that truly have money and RV buy a Newell or Prevost conversion.

I have come to the conclusion for the type of RV'ing that I do a small tt or 5er works best for me. I'm not the type to camp in a resort.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually they don't offer the garbage disposal unless someone wants it. Too many people have said they don't want them.

We said no GD!

I am VERY excited to see ice cubes being made and the big bottom freezer. Our current MS has the single door Dometic.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I hope this turns out to be HIGH QUALITY with the "Glitz" !

Oh I think you're gonna love it Ron, they've made a LOT of changes to the Suites since your '07 was made. The residential fridge, the garbage disposal, the dishwasher. Oh yeah plenty of Glitz in your Suites. We've had very little trouble with our 38RSSA.

Dan

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
Doesn't sound too much like camping to me!

I've never considered RV'ing to be camping! I used to camp but now I RV!
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

The Teton's, Newmar's, Travel Supreme's, Carriage's, Alpine's, Excel and others that built a quality products. Only a few still build quality products such as DRV, NEW HORIZON, CONTINENTAL. I would say as long as the public perceive glitz as quality this is what we get.

Now-now, don't blame the glitz buyer on failure of the dinosaurs! They failed on their own.

Not a ton of people out there that pick the top end for a trailer. They just don't need the Bentley version when Dodge is priced better and has some of the Bentley comforts (glitz). After all, its a trailer, and its going to get pulled with a glitzy Dodge or Ford or GMC, not a Unimog.

I think your list may need modified a little - DRV is now Heartland, and I heard New Horizons may be in trouble.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We liked Alpenlite because of a simple look and less fancy items. Still enjoying the 14 year old fifth. Good luck to everybody on their rv's.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hope this turns out to be HIGH QUALITY with the "Glitz" !

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
MagillaGorilla wrote:
We can set up from inside and last fro about a week before we have to go outside. That's hard to beat.

Doesn't sound too much like camping to me!

It's all relative. I've slept on the ground, in bug nets, in pup tents, in 3 room tents, in a PUP and a TT. Which one is "real camping"? I think the deep woods stuff I've done is real camping and will always hold special memories. But I'm completely happy in my PUP and planning my upgrade. I can have a campfire to reminisce and then be warm/cool and dry no matter the weather.

I'm with the poster that said he travels. I'm fine with a hybrid between camping and a nice hotel.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

You hit the nail on the head, with this.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Gsport
Explorer
Explorer
I read this, and first thing I thought was, he must've been checking out a Grand Design 5th wheel.

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
Camping and roughing don't have to be one in the same. Our favorite places to "camp" are spots near the ocean. Some of these places don't even have trees. They are more like grass fields. Although that part does not sound very nice the part that is nice is: Having my own hotel room when at the beach. No one else slept in my bed last night, last week or ever. My bathroom is spotless and I have everything that I could want with me. That is why we bought our RV.

I'm still up for the tent camping while white water rafting through the Grand Canyon but not every weekend.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I used to cuss the setup, and hesitated to take short trips, but with the 6 pt leveling and auto awnings and auto dish, it is really just too easy. Probably still not as convenient as your Class A, but as close as its going to get.

One thing I noticed with this one is set up is so easy and it has such a big water capacity, I don't have to plan and plan for that perfect spot at the campground. If its not available, I take another spot until its ready, and if my spot doesn't have water, sewer, I don't care because its a snap to retract and head to the dump station if necessary and put it right back.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed