Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New member / Fifth Wheel Owner

LvOpnRd
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone.

I'm finally joining the forum because today DW and I purchased a 2012 Forest River Sierra 345RET. It's a brand new unit on clearance and we got an incredible deal. I've searched the site a few times while researching for a 5th and I'm excited to be a member.

My first question has to do with my TV and hitch set up.
I'm getting into a 2013 Dodge 2500 Diesel short box. With the new Dodge pick ups can you get away without having to use a slider hitch? The reason I ask is because I'm very interested in the Hensley Trailer saver and want to know if this set up will work. I believe the new short boxes are over six feet.

Thanks in advance for any help I might receive.

Edit: I haven't officially purchased the short bed yet so If it's going to be a problem I can get into an 8ft bed. I just prefer the shorter option.
18 REPLIES 18

The_Three_M_s
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there and welcome to the 5th wheel family. My husband is a Georgia State Trooper (25 years now) and you would not believe the wrecks he has worked on people pulling campers with not enough truck! And the people would always tell him that the dealer said "my truck would pull that camper just fine." He worked one wreck where a Toyota Tundra was pulling a 33 ft pull behind camper on I-75 here in Georgia... well when a big tractor trailer truck went by, the wind from the big rig got the camper swaying and caused the Toyota truck to flip over. The people were approximately 2 miles from getting off the highway to there campground destination. We have always pulled our fiver with a dually. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
The Three M's

Melanie, Mike & Mandy

Our furbaby, Boo, Male Schnauzer born 10/25/05
TO OUR BELOVED SCHNAUZER, LILLY- WE WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU! 5/14/00 to 12/26/05
2010 Ford F350 Powerstroke Diesel Crew Cab Dually
2005 Open Road 296RLDS Triple Slides

lillyputz
Explorer
Explorer
don't mess around. go with the 3500 long bed and maybe the dully and you won't have to worrie about a thing.

Lillyputz
Lillyputz

Two beagles. Lilly & Zuri

Dayle1
Explorer II
Explorer II
LvOpnRd wrote:

With the new Dodge pick ups can you get away without having to use a slider hitch? The reason I ask is because I'm very interested in the Hensley Trailer saver and want to know if this set up will work. I believe the new short boxes are over six feet.

When it comes to short beds and fifth wheels, length of the bed is not the big question. Instead one of the key factors in determining how sharp the combo will turn is hitch placement in the bed. And since this is supposed to be at or slightly in front of the rear axle, then the important number is C-A, or cab-to-axle distance. Dodge is the shortest (worst) at 36.7 inches, GM is the longest at 41.6 inches, Ford is in between. So, with the same fifth wheel front cap, Dodge will be slightly worse. But with notched cap designs like the Sierra, you should still have plenty of turning angle w/o a slider hitch. In tight situations, you may have to do a little more jockeying back and forth than the next guy, but it will still work. Anyone, even with an 8 ft bed can jack-knife a fiver too far, so just take your time.
Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
After looking closely at your picture it looks like you have a Reese Revolution Sidewinder pin box. If so you will have no problem with a non-sliding hitch. If so, the Operating Instruction paper work suggests another source for the custom wedge.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Dodge short bed. Have a slider hitch but have never had to use it.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

LvOpnRd
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the feedback.

I really thought the newer 2500 series Rams could handle this type of load. It's also good to hear from others with short beds and Fivers.

Rob

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the Forum. I purchased a 8281 Rockwood last fall and have a sidewinder with a Reese 16K hitch. It provides lots of clearance and I am told backs better, don't know because I have not had experience with and other. The side winder has been a bear to hook up to however. I ordered a hitch specific wedge for it and installed it yesterday. Works great. Easy hook up and unhook. This made a world of difference. If you should go with the sidewinder just ask the dealer to install the wedge designed for your hitch and not the universal wedge. It only cost 50 bucks from etrailer and was here in a couple days.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
No one can say for sure without hooking up what ever truck will be used, but that nose looks like it would give good cab clearance. It appears, the pin goes all the way to the tip of the nose.

Another thought, so many talk about backing into a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if you could, and not sure if I could either, but no matter, I would not twist my trailer like that anyway. When you start closing in on a 90* angle, you are no longer backing, just twisting.

Great looking FW, congrats,
Jerry

LvOpnRd
Explorer
Explorer
This is the nose, hopefully that's rounded enough. 🙂

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
LvOpnRd wrote:
3500 it is. LoL

Welcome to the forum!

Wise choice on the 3500. You will need it to carry that new FW.

Like mentioned, if it has the rounded front, you should not need a slider. I don't have a slider, and no problem with my short bed rig.

Jerry

LvOpnRd
Explorer
Explorer
3500 it is. LoL

Wiscampsin
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your 2012 Forest River Sierra 345RET! Make sure you join us over at the Forest River Forum. Link:http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
I have a slider with my signature short bed Crew Cab and have never used it. Our Cedar Creek Silverback has a tapered front cap. I had the dealer ship demonstrate going up to 90 deg when we picked it up (2/2008), using our truck...they did it easy without using the slider.

I have never had to use the slider and I have had it close to 90 degrees 2 or 3 times.

If your Sierra has the tapered front cap, you will probably be OK.

Good Luck.
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

MainerBob
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to point out that we recently bought our used Everest, and it came with a sidewinder. Our short bed (6.5') came with a slider. We have never needed the slider with the sidewinder. I recently needed to make a u-turn in a cul-de-sac we got into and was able to do it with my steering wheel locked over and nothing touched. Absolutely amazing. You can now get an airborne sidewinder which would be the best of all possible worlds and not need a slider. Just a thought.
2007 Keystone Everest 293P, 32'
2006 Silvarado 2500HD Duramax, SRW, CC, Short Bed, 4x4
Sidewinder,16K Draw-Tite Slider
Chloe, Standard Poodle
Charlie, Tibetan Terrier