cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New pin box...

mach8274
Explorer
Explorer
Toying around with the idea of getting a new pin box for our 5er. It tows really well now but I do get some chucking on concrete interstates. Just looking to improve the ride a little. I am torn between the Trail-Air Rota-flex and the Mor-ryde. Which do you have and why do you like it??
Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
Sadie the wonder dog
Spencer the shepherd dog
2016 Palomino Columbus 385BH Fiver "No Worries II"
2016 F350 Super Duty 6.7L PSD, CC, DRW, Lariat "Mistress II"
Ford 26.5k fifth wheel hitch
31 REPLIES 31

heaterswa
Explorer
Explorer
We went with the 5th Airborne / Sidewinder. It runs a bit nose high as this combo lowered the pin position in reference to the trailer frame.

Tweety's Pin Boxes

-Bryan
Me, Wife, 3 daughters, and a woof woof
TV: 06 GMC 2500HD D/A SLT 4WD / Prodigy / Reese Signature 18K
FW: 07 KZ Durango 315BH / Fifth Airborne / Sidewinder / JT Strong Arm Stabilizers

mach8274
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
mach8274 wrote:
Just did a little research and I like the Demco...just don't like the price tag. The Mor-Ryde is about $300 cheaper although I may go for the Demco anyways. It looks like a pretty stout box and from the demo videos I watched, works really well. I won't do anything until after the first of the year though.

I am going to replace the shocks on my truck, it has factory Rancho garbage on there now, switching to Bilstein. I'm also going to raise my current pin box one hole. The trailer is slightly nose high and the hitch is down all the way. There were a couple comments about the trailer being nose high can cause some slight chucking. As it sits, the trailer is 13'5", so raising the pin box will bring that down slightly as well.

Thank you all for your input!!

Just watch your bed rail to trailer clearance when moving the pinbox up. Need to maintain 5-6" minimum. Its impossible to get some TV/5er combinations level without raising the trailer. Especially with the newer (taller bed) trucks.

Went out and looked at it tonight...Won't be able to raise the pin box. Guess it will have to remain slightly nose hogh. The top hole on the trailer frame is against the frame itself, won't be able to get the bolts in there. Oh well.
Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
Sadie the wonder dog
Spencer the shepherd dog

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
cmeade wrote:
Just got the new issue of Trailer Life and has great article on pin boxes you should read. Covers the different types and models. IMHO it was a good read and has MSRPs for them.

Let me guess....they LOVE all of them (at least all of them with advertisements in Trailer Life ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
Just got the new issue of Trailer Life and has great article on pin boxes you should read. Covers the different types and models. IMHO it was a good read and has MSRPs for them.

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW I just had a recent IM conversation with another forum member here (SK734) who has used both and he preferred the MorRyde and sent the Demco back. Said he didn't care for the Demco but didn't get any details as to why.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
mach8274 wrote:
Just did a little research and I like the Demco...just don't like the price tag. The Mor-Ryde is about $300 cheaper although I may go for the Demco anyways. It looks like a pretty stout box and from the demo videos I watched, works really well. I won't do anything until after the first of the year though.

I am going to replace the shocks on my truck, it has factory Rancho garbage on there now, switching to Bilstein. I'm also going to raise my current pin box one hole. The trailer is slightly nose high and the hitch is down all the way. There were a couple comments about the trailer being nose high can cause some slight chucking. As it sits, the trailer is 13'5", so raising the pin box will bring that down slightly as well.

Just watch your bed rail to trailer clearance when moving the pinbox up. Need to maintain 5-6" minimum. Its impossible to get some TV/5er combinations level without raising the trailer. Especially with the newer (taller bed) trucks.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I just went through this and picked the MoRryde. Haven't towed yet, will report.

My first impressions are this is a very stout and well made pinbox

2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
RustyJC wrote:
Learjet wrote:
RustyJC wrote:
Any vertical attenuation the MorRyde pinbox might offer is minimal at best, and my experience was that it was inferior to the Demco Glide Ride in horizontal attenuation.

Rusty

I don't think he meant vertical, rather fore and aft and side to side.

Perhaps so, but the Y axis on most graphs I see is vertical. The X and Z axes are in the horizontal plane.

Rusty

Dunno, Rusty; all my math graphing had X as up/down on the left of the page and Y as left/right on the bottom. Z was perpendicular to the paper. ๐Ÿ™‚

Later: I see you caught yourself, so no foul. ๐Ÿ™‚

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

mach8274
Explorer
Explorer

Dave and Amy
Anthony-2005
Norah-2008
Sasha the weiner dog
Sadie the wonder dog
Spencer the shepherd dog

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Allworth wrote:
Sorry, Rusty, back to Statics Class and reread the chapter on three dimensional axis orientation.

Perhaps so. Now that we're in the computer age, I'm too used to seeing graphs on a computer screen where Y is vertical and Z is horizontally coming out of the screen toward me. On a horizontal plane such as a desktop (and back to Statics class), you're right - the Z axis is coming vertically out of the top of the desk. Having said that, I believe the Z axis is defined as just being perpendicular to the plane established by the X and Y axes.

That's the trouble with living in a 3 dimensional world - the orientation of the dimensions depend on the perspective of the viewer.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, Rusty, back to Statics Class and reread the chapter on three dimensional axis orientation.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
N-Trouble wrote:
Was your comparison of the Demco to MorRyde on the SAME trailer (apples-to-apples)?

Ummmm....no, but it was with the same truck and the same hitch - see signature. The Demco Glide Ride was installed on our previous 2004 Mobile Suites 36RE3. The MorRyde was installed on our daughter and son-in-law's 2011 Mobile Suites 36TKSB3.

Having said that, even if not on the same trailer, I daresay I'm one of not very many individuals on this forum who have towed with both of the pinboxes under discussion, much less with the same truck and hitch. I own neither at this point, so as far as blind brand favoritism, I ain't got no dog in this fight. I'm just relating my personal experience.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Both the MOrRyde and Demco seem to get a lot of good reviews out there. THe only negative reviews I have read on the MorRyde is with heavy pin weights as it seems as though it will compress the dampeners to the point they become less effective

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
What does pin weight have to do with picking a pin box? My pin box is rated at a trailer's total weight (aren't they all?). My Voltage is 19,000# GVWR and the pin box is rated for 21,000#. Our previous pin box was a TrailAir TRI-GLIDE and it broke. The replacement is a straight TrailAir and we like it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE