cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Stereo

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to replace my wall mount radio. Does anyone know of an RV radio that will also the play back of movies from the USB port. Want to put my movies on a portable drive or flash and play them back from the radio to the TV.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710
7 REPLIES 7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Mopar_Mudder wrote:
0rion wrote:
we use the hdmi input on the tv so the kids can watch movies from their kindle. Could probably do the same thing with a laptop. Just need a hdmi output on the laptop. Getting sound from the tv to the stereo however gets a little tricky. I'm not sure if there's even an open audio input on the backs of these stereos

On the Jensen I know you can input audio to them. Would rather not tie up my lap top playing movies. That is why a radio that will play video files from a USB would be great.

There are TVs that will play movies directly from a stick or an external drive. If so, then you can use a patch cord for audio from the TV to the stereo's aux-in port. You might have to watch file formats as well as the format on the drive. Some TVs will only read a drive formatted in FAT or FAT32, but won't read NTFS. Might look at wi-fi or bluetooth options, as well.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
0rion wrote:
we use the hdmi input on the tv so the kids can watch movies from their kindle. Could probably do the same thing with a laptop. Just need a hdmi output on the laptop. Getting sound from the tv to the stereo however gets a little tricky. I'm not sure if there's even an open audio input on the backs of these stereos

On the Jensen I know you can input audio to them. Would rather not tie up my lap top playing movies. That is why a radio that will play video files from a USB would be great.
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

0rion
Explorer
Explorer

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
I like the RV units because of the ease of turning zones on and off from the face.

Smart TV's are not all that "smart" from my findings and I have not had good luck that way. Also the TV speakers are junk so I want to play the sound through the stereo any way.

I can play the movies from my lap top, or bring DVD's, was just looking for the easiest, cleanest way to go about it. Bringing my portable drive would be loads easier then grabbing DVD's as all my movies are stored digitally anyway.
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like a complicated way to watch movies on the TV. Smarter TVs will likely do this all by themselves.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Or go with a small home type setup and run it off of an inverter from 12v or house current when shore power is available.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
As far as I've been able to discern from research, none of the so-called "RV" units will play back video media from the USB port. You might look into an automotive multimedia in-dash unit. You would have to craft surrounding trim, but the quality of a good, high-end automotive unit will be much better than the OEM junk in RVs.
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015