cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to pulling a fifth wheel

Dollarbill60
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all. Recently purchased a 2007 Keystone Laredo 29RK pulling it with a 2015 Ford Super Duty 6.7L Power Stroke. It was a one owner, great condition. We have been on two short trips already and getting acclimated to this lifestyle. We are planning a longer trip next month. My question, is it better to just pull up to where the Semi's refuel at the Love and Pilot Truck stops since there is more room or do they frown on that? I plan on many long trips in the future. Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have many more questions.
M. Dollar
24 REPLIES 24

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
I always pull in where the truckers fuel up, more room and safer. Using the pumps where cars fill up can be a nightmare:( i.e. not as room to pull in, some one could pull in front of you or behind you and temporary block you in. When using the Trucker fuel, have your partner go into the casher and get your card started and then wait until you get a signal from your spouse. The you can complete the card transaction. As soon as you fill up, move your truck and trailer forward so the truck behind can pull in for fuel. even if there is not a truck waiting behind you, pull forward.

X2. Recently I found that pumps will now accept regular Visa credit cards. You will need to bypass several trucker-related questions but then you are good to go. DW was happy.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We use the rv pumps and as posted above the larger diameter fuel nozzles just make a big mess if you are not paying attention. However ya have to do what is needed sometimes.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
We always use the truck lanes when available. If you use Pilots get an RV fuel card, that way you can pay at the pump and get a discount off the cash price of diesel. Watch out for the fill rate at the truck islands, they will fill your tank quickly.

congrats on your new setup.

X1, also check the circumference of your fuel tank filler. Truck diesel pump nozzles are bigger than the standard gas pump.

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
The important thing is to be courtious and not tie up the pump lane. Fuel it and move to truck parking to eat lunch, shop or go pottie.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We always use the truck lanes when available. If you use Pilots get an RV fuel card, that way you can pay at the pump and get a discount off the cash price of diesel. Watch out for the fill rate at the truck islands, they will fill your tank quickly.

X1, also check the circumference of your fuel tank filler. Truck diesel pumps are bigger than the standard gas pump.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

steadypraying42
Explorer
Explorer
Active Duty Army (Fulltiming)
1 YR Old English Mastiff
2 YR Old German Shepherd
2015 Ram 3500 SRW
Aisin Transmission, factory air ride suspension
2015 Keystone Hideout 308BHDS (SOLD)
2016 Voltage Triton 3451 TH

"IN TRUTH LIES VICTORY"

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your new rig! It is fine to use to the truck pumps. Just don't make other RV'ers or truck drivers wait for you by visiting the bathroom, getting snacks, visiting the gift shop, etc. while you're still parked at the pump 🙂 Most truck stops have a separate parking area for you to stop and do all of that.
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Dollarbill60 wrote:
Hello to all. Recently purchased a 2007 Keystone Laredo 29RK pulling it with a 2015 Ford Super Duty 6.7L Power Stroke. It was a one owner, great condition. We have been on two short trips already and getting acclimated to this lifestyle. We are planning a longer trip next month. My question, is it better to just pull up to where the Semi's refuel at the Love and Pilot Truck stops since there is more room or do they frown on that? I plan on many long trips in the future. Thanks in advance and I am sure I will have many more questions.

I always pull in where the truckers fuel up, more room and safer. Using the pumps where cars fill up can be a nightmare:( i.e. not as room to pull in, some one could pull in front of you or behind you and temporary block you in. When using the Trucker fuel, have your partner go into the casher and get your card started and then wait until you get a signal from your spouse. The you can complete the card transaction. As soon as you fill up, move your truck and trailer forward so the truck behind can pull in for fuel. even if there is not a truck waiting behind you, pull forward.

YnotTurbo
Explorer
Explorer
I pull in where it is easiest for me to pump. If you can pull straight into a pump lane,,, I say do it. The truckers don't mind and you won't have to try and move around all the cars...
Navy Chief (Ret.) Still working. 2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 4:10 Geared and 935 lbs. of Grunt..., 2011 Mobile Suites Lexington